Splunk certification - User, Administrator and Developer

Hi

vpECs.jpg?1

Is anyone Splunk certified? How does this work? Didn't find a VUE exam. Howto make the exam?

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    It may be that the Splunk exams are not proctored. You would take them open book after you complete the respective training course.

Splunk | Education Programs
  • crashdumpcrashdump Banned Posts: 134
    You receive this certificates "for free" if you complete the labs on training.
  • rob1234rob1234 Banned Posts: 151
    crashdump wrote: »

Have you attended one of the courses? If so what did you think of it?
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Interesting, I wasnt aware of this program, i'd also be interested in the Snort CP...
  • crashdumpcrashdump Banned Posts: 134
    crashdump wrote: »

I attended all 3 courses (User, Administrator and Developer). Because had no experience with Splunk product, the Admin and Dev I didn't understand. Because I completed the exercises (called labs), I received certificate. The labs are something like copy and paste: there is written what you need to do in a VM.
  • JayTheCrackerJayTheCracker Member Posts: 169
    nv heard of it...
  • InfosecDudeInfosecDude Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Would ArcSight not be a better option? Its more known in the industry and a very mature product.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    ArcSight is the most expensive SIEM solution available. Large corporations and government agencies use it. Think of it as the Oracle of the SIEM world. Splunk may not be as feature-rich or capable, but it's far more affordable than ArcSight and better than doing event correlation manually. For those interested, ArcSight also has its own certifications.
  • AbubakarShahidAbubakarShahid Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Are all these courses on Splunk for free, including the Splunk Architect Certification lab?
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    No. Recommended courses for Architect cert are eight or nine. Only one of those is free and it's the most basic and useless one. Each course goes between $550-$1,500. The certification lab exam itself is $1,000.

Source: my team purchases Splunk training like it's candy.

http://www.splunk.com/web_assets/pdfs/support/edu/v6/ArchCertPath.pdf
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Splunk is very hot in the market right now!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I'm going to take the 1 hour course, I believe I will be using this at my new job
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    @Mike-Mike: how much is that? No free resources online?

We have it at work, but not so much in my team. Just a little. I think it takes time to get used to using it but it's not hard (if you're just using it...setting it up might take more effort). I used it to search logs and it's been very handy.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I have gone all-in on Splunk and am making it my floagship tool/platform/dashboard for all things InfoSec. Currently have a splunk ninja building it out. Can't WAIT to learn how to do more than just basic searches on it!
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    No. Recommended courses for Architect cert are eight or nine. Only one of those is free and it's the most basic and useless one. Each course goes between $550-$1,500. The certification lab exam itself is $1,000.

Source: my team purchases Splunk training like it's candy.

http://www.splunk.com/web_assets/pdfs/support/edu/v6/ArchCertPath.pdf
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • rcsecrcsec Member Posts: 6 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Are there alternatives (to the classroom or staring at the keyboard & screen) to learning Splunk? Something like workbooks or pdfs to walk through? Is there a particular book that helped anyone out?
    Thanks,
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    There's a book called Dive Into Splunk, Google can find the pdf for you. It's free (the PDF, but you can buy the book on Amazon.) Authro's name is Carasso.

Unofficial Splunk Labs
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I really like working with Splunk - very powerful and so much more flexible than the other SIEMs I have used. I have taken a couple of the official classes and they were pretty good, but I have learned mostly by just using it. You can get a free full functional version, so no reason not to spin up a VM, install it, and start sending some data. Also, the splunk site has a ton of info - always get a few hits when I am looking for info on something.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    @Mike-Mike: how much is that? No free resources online?

We have it at work, but not so much in my team. Just a little. I think it takes time to get used to using it but it's not hard (if you're just using it...setting it up might take more effort). I used it to search logs and it's been very handy.

i thought the one hour course was free, "What is Splunk (eLearning)"
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark