Trouble getting paid

Techguru365Techguru365 Member Posts: 131 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey guys. Don't know if any of you ever had this issue of getting paid for your time after resigning from a company? I was owed two days pay when I resigned my last job a few weeks ago, I thought it would have came direct deposit as usual, but when I attempted to log into the portal I realize that they had disabled my login. I have made many attempts to my former manager but so far I am getting the run around, promises and no results. I am guessing he is hoping I will just go away. Has anyone have this happen and what would be a good course of action to take? It's just two days pay, but I worked for it and have no intention of giving it to them. It's the principle!

Comments

• kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Ping their payroll dpt?
    Ping manager one last time.
    lawyer up
    meh
  • ksijurksijur Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Department of Labor is your friend.. they gonna buttf*** them so hard for this it's not even funny...
  • Techguru365Techguru365 Member Posts: 131 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys. It's just such a weird behavior. I played it by the book, gave two weeks notice etc. but sometimes I guess that don't pay. I will definitely get the DOL on their arse
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Have you tried contacting HR? I don't know how much responsibility your previous manager has over when people get paid.

Although he should've let HR know himself that you contacted him...
    I haven't contacted them directly. But it was kinda suspicious that way before my two weeks notice expired I was unable to sign in online and submit the hours. That's why I got back in touch with the manager, and he claims he was working on it.
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    do they have a policy concerning final pachecks? one of my former employers would mail them
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I never had a problem with that. Keep bugging them though. That just isn't right.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
    Not that I know of, but it's been almost two months now, so I know a check don't take that long to arrive.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Contact HR or better yet, if they have an Advice & Council department (legal) I'd contact them and let them know the situation. If no response then send them a certified letter stating you are filing a lawsuit on xxxxx date. I promise you they will act on it then. I had the same thing happen when I left my long time employer beginning of last year. Their HR department was screwing around with my last two weeks of pay and vacation payout due to some internal departments not having their crap together. After two weeks I contacted the A&C dept and had resolution by the end of the week.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I haven't contacted them directly. But it was kinda suspicious that way before my two weeks notice expired I was unable to sign in online and submit the hours. That's why I got back in touch with the manager, and he claims he was working on it.

This is where the problem is - in the system, you apparently don't have any hours worked to be paid for. Find anything/everything you can that shows you worked those days (emails, whatever) to show that you worked, but were unable to input your time.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • xD LucasxD Lucas Member Posts: 107
    Some businesses, although unethical, will hold your final paycheck up to 30 days, or until you complete an exit interview, whichever comes first.
    2015 Objectives: MTA: 98-349 ✔ → CompTIA A+ → CompTIA Network+ CompTIA Security+
  • srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    By law, don't they have to cut the final paycheck within 48 hours of termination or resignation? I agree that the Department of Labor - Wage and Hour Division would be a good start. I would also contact the company and demand that they correct this issue ASAP. Good luck!
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    srabiee wrote: »
    By law, don't they have to cut the final paycheck within 48 hours of termination or resignation? I agree that the Department of Labor - Wage and Hour Division would be a good start. I would also contact the company and demand that they correct this issue ASAP. Good luck!

California State law also has provisions for this. If you are to give more than 72 hour notice they are required by law to provide you with your last check on your final day of work. If you give less than 72 hours notice, they are required by law to have it available for you either in person or mailed and post marked on the third business day.

Any delay in receiving your final check is subject to a penalty for the employer in the form of additional pay to the employee and a daily fine.

I would recommend that you immediately seek legal aide in this matter to ensure that your employer is doing the right thing and pays you for your time accordingly and is fined by the state if needed to ensure that this doesnt happen to the next person.
  • olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Every job Ive quit gave my final paycheck in the form of a paper paycheck. No direct deposit. So you have to go onsite to their payroll/HR dept.
    Idk if thats the norm, but Ive quit a lot of jobs and every one of them did that.
  • IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah I usually have my days plan out so when I quit it goes to my last full check. I don't try to work a couple of days on a check for reasons like this. But yeah try to contact the dept of labor, your company hr and if able pay them a visit in person to speak to the hr.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    ksijur wrote: »
    they gonna buttf*** them so hard for this it's not even funny...

this made me literally laugh out loud
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • bmnaughtbmnaught Banned Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    this made me literally laugh out loud

lol, me too.

OP, definitely update us on what happens.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • cshkurucshkuru Member Posts: 246 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Contact HR then definately contact the department of labor for your state. Last Paycheck Laws: When Do I Get a Paycheck After Leaving a Job? - FindLaw
  • shortygirlshortygirl Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    olaHalo wrote: »
    Every job Ive quit gave my final paycheck in the form of a paper paycheck. No direct deposit. So you have to go onsite to their payroll/HR dept.
    Idk if thats the norm, but Ive quit a lot of jobs and every one of them did that.

Oh man, this must be a west coast thing. I've always received payment as previously received. i.e., if I received paper checks prior to my last days I got a paper check and if I received direct deposit then I was paid accordingly. And access was NEVER cut off until the EOD on my last day.

That does suck. I agree, get in touch with HR/legal. Good luck to you.
    IT Consultant / Pursuing: AAS in DB Management & Admin (2015-2017)
    CompTIA A+ 801 [ ] 802 [X], Net+ [ ], Proj+ [ ], AXELOS ITIL V3 [X], PMI CAPM [ ]
    Microsoft - MTA 98-364 [X], MCSA 70-461 [ ] 70-462 [ ] 70-463 [ ], MCSE 70-466 [ ] 70-467 [ ]
    Oracle DBA - OCA IZ0-051 [ ] IZO-052 [ ], OCP IZ0-053 [ ]
    Connect with me on Twitter or LinkedIn