Anyway to detect KeyGrabber Wireless USB Keylogger? My Anti-Virus does nothing!

ry4wnry4wn Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
So...I purchased the KeyGrabber Wi-Fi Premium is a USB wireless keylogger from computersecurity.org and it works too good, I got it for testing but no Anti-Virus or protection software can seem to detect it....any suggestions? This is a nasty little tool that e-mails all your information to the controller....help?

Comments

• JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Antiviruses cannot detect hardware key loggers. Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone.
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I don't know if it is so much that they can't if the hardware has software it can be detected, its going to be an issue of how it runs.

As far as this device, no idea. Likely IDS would detect it if it sends the traffic unencrypted through the company's internet infrastructure.
  • EngRobEngRob Member Posts: 247 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is where preventing USB access will come into play. AV will be no help because it is passive hardware, and detecting on the wire sounds like it wouldn't be possible since it's sending data over it's own wireless network.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I vaguely remember some Defcon or similar conf talk from a few years ago where a guy came up with some convoluted way to detect hardware keyloggers based on voltage or timing. Wish I could recall but it definitely was something obscure that wasn't too practical.

This is where defense in layers works best. Egress monitoring, scanning for unknown Wi-Fi devices with strong signal, and other controls can help detect incidental activity that could provide some clues on the presence of something nefarious.
  • ChinookChinook Member Posts: 206
    No, not much you can do. You can configure Windows to advise the user changes have been made but if the user isn't aware..well. The hardware keystroke logger is a popular tool with ethical hackers. Very few people look at the back of their computer to see if someone was fiddling around.