ITIL Foundation - Passed. What Next, please help?

shazzy247shazzy247 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I passed my ITIL foundation of the weekend after 2 weeks of study. I used CBT Nuggets, Mind Maps on ITIL Training Zone and Passing your ITIL foundation Exam by Christian F Nissen.

I am currently working for a VoIP provider as a team leader within our service desk, providing technical support to external customers and managing a team. I have been doing technical support for approx 5 years now, and previous to that I was an account manager for 3 years for an ISP.

I thoroughly enjoy improving processes and making things better within my Dept, which led me to ITIL, which I really enjoyed. After studying completing this course I have now realised that my next career move is definitely in ITSM, either ST or SO. I would love to work for a large corporate, as the company I work for is small and very reluctant to change and have limited re-sources. I think a role in either change management or a service desk analyst would be amazing!

This leads me to my questions.

1. I was thinking of doing PRINCE2 foundation to learn the basic concepts of PM, coupled with ITIL, I thought would make a strong combination?

2. OR go on to ITIL SO instead and not worry about PRINCE2?

3. OR, don't pursue any more certs and start job hunting for a role in ITSM, and maybe do more ITIL certs then?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and I thank you in advance for your reply.

Regards,
shazzy247

Comments

• Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hi shazzy

The best answer to your question will come from recruiters - have a look at the type of jobs you want and see what certs they are asking for. As you're looking to move to an ITSM role I would think ST or SO would be better for you than PRINCE2, as you've not mentioned wanting to do project management.

There will be elements of project management in process improvement, but you can read up on PRINCE2 to get a basic understanding to help you there.

It's really nice to see someone enjoying ITIL icon_smile.gif

Claire
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • shazzy247shazzy247 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Claire,

Thanks very much for the advice. It is really appreciated.

Thanks ccnpninja.

Regards,
    Sheraz
  • Swift6Swift6 Member Posts: 268 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats shazzy247. ITIL provides a robust framework for implementing and streamlining processes.
    If you want to go down the ITIL route, the opportunities and advanced certs are yours for the taking.
  • SolgudinnenSolgudinnen Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It can also be a good combination with prince and itil. If you would like to work as itil consulent. But you will need some years of experience.
  • shortygirlshortygirl Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you're interested in project management, the PMI CAPM isn't too unattainable. In my area, PMI is more recognized that Prince. The Project+ wouldn't be too far either to show that you're interested but not yet experienced. The ITIL Foundations cert is a great base for Service Desk Analyst roles; if you're wanting to go that route, I'd say CompTIA A+ or something like that should be next... although wouldn't it be a step down to go from Team Lead to Analyst? A BA or project coordinator role would be appropriate here too, if you're interested in process improvement.

Good luck! :)
    IT Consultant / Pursuing: AAS in DB Management & Admin (2015-2017)
    CompTIA A+ 801 [ ] 802 [X], Net+ [ ], Proj+ [ ], AXELOS ITIL V3 [X], PMI CAPM [ ]
    Microsoft - MTA 98-364 [X], MCSA 70-461 [ ] 70-462 [ ] 70-463 [ ], MCSE 70-466 [ ] 70-467 [ ]
    Oracle DBA - OCA IZ0-051 [ ] IZO-052 [ ], OCP IZ0-053 [ ]
    Connect with me on Twitter or LinkedIn
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • AdrianITAdrianIT Member Posts: 18 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats. I have mine booked tomorrow. what exam prep did you use? (eg. vce,etc)
    \\2015: [x]ITIL [x]Become a dad [x]Move out my parents house! :)
    \\2016: [ ]70-410 [ ]70-411 [ ]70-412 [ ]Sec+ [ ]CISSP