CCENT versus NETWORK+

hero4bohero4bo Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
As a person that just took the CCENT exam and passed, How hard would it be for me to take the Network plus exam and pass? I'm Finishing my CCNA studies off in the fall but decided in between my classes that I would like to try to grab another cert or two.

Thanks many!

Comments

• markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Wouldn't be very hard. You could pick and choose some Professor Messer videos and look at the objectives just filling in the blanks for things that aren't covered in the CCENT. Probably only take a week of studying a couple hours a day. That being said, I think it'd be a waste of money. So unless someone else was paying for it, I'd study for something more beneficial. Maybe Security+?
  • Rocket ImpossibleRocket Impossible Member Posts: 104
    I agree with markulous. CCENT>Network+ in my mind. Security+ would be more valuable.
  • hero4bohero4bo Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks! i started looking into the security+ exam
  • BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Honestly If you have CCENT don't waste the money on Network+, CCENT is far more viable Certification.
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • TechoutsideTechoutside Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Network+ is useless. Go straight to CCNA even if you are entry-level person.

I would say that useless is relative. If you have no previous networking experience or work experience in general, then every thing you can do to enhance your skills is beneficial, it will get a look at the resume, but it is entry level support. CCENT is a much more valuable certification.

If you already have work experience, anything you can do to prove to any prospective employer that you are doing things to better yourself is a bonus.

While the job market today is an employers market, it could go back to an employee's market if things change.
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    markulous wrote: »
    That being said, I think it'd be a waste of money. So unless someone else was paying for it, I'd study for something more beneficial. Maybe Security+?

Totally Agreed.
    Consider the Sec+ or ITIL Foundation or anything else.

I'd rather you Blow the $270 on Prostitues before Throwing it Away on the Net+ :]
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    What is your goal in taking Network+? If it's not retired it's not worth your time. It's generally better before CCENT.
  • Codeman6669Codeman6669 Member Posts: 227
    Network+ isn't useless once you get the ccent. Companies like that the N+ isnt cisco proprietary teaching. Even though the material overlaps a bit, the N+ keeps going on theory/networking technology while the ccent continues to IOS.

But even with that said, do security+ and honestly just go get a todd Lammel book and finish the CCNA in a few weeks, ICND2 seemed so much easier IMO.
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    with that said, do security+ and honestly just go get a todd Lammel book and finish the CCNA in a few weeks, ICND2 seemed so much easier IMO.

Fascinating.
    Are you you referring to the current version of the exam (updated in Sept 2013)?
    How long did it take (from start to finish) for you to get your CCNA?

Hero4bo,
    how long did you study before you knew you were ready?

I was assuming it would take at least 6 months o_O
  • HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    From what I have seen out in the job field is its either Network+ or CCNA that is recognized . You tell someone your a CCENT and they look at you strange during an interview.
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I passed the Network+ with almost a perfect score after studying for a couple of weeks (Skillport videos). I have never worked with IOS before. What does that tell you about my actual abilities in the field as a networking technician? (thankfully as a sysadmin I've always had a networking team to rely on)

Such is the problem with CompTIA and their "one mile wide and one inch deep" in scope, vendor-neutral certifications.

Trust me, you don't want my dumb a** out in the field messing with your Cisco routers.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Codeman6669Codeman6669 Member Posts: 227
    srabiee wrote: »
    I passed the Network+ with almost a perfect score after studying for a couple of weeks (Skillport videos). I have never worked with IOS before. What does that tell you about my actual abilities in the field as a networking technician? (thankfully as a sysadmin I've always had a networking team to rely on)

Such is the problem with CompTIA and their "one mile wide and one inch deep" in scope, vendor-neutral certifications.

Trust me, you don't want my dumb a** out in the field messing with your Cisco routers.

hahaha thats actually true.
    I work for a company that sells Router/Switches and i fix peoples networks.
    3/4 of our team cant figure out a cisco command line, myself and my boss have CCNA's and we can fix whatever is needed on them, its not even our equipment. And to go further on that, Cisco IOS is good to learn, most other switch brands will write their IOS much like cisco's but not exactly.

volkfhat i sent you back a PM
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hey I would do the security+, because the ccent is like network + on steroids. I did the net + because its a big requirement for jobs in the bahamas. But I plan to do the ccent latter on. But if I had the ccent like you I would not to the net +.
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It is not that hard provided that you have the CCENT. Keep in mind that Network+ is vendor neutral and is not specific on a particular technology. You cover networking as a whole.
    Lets put it this way...when I got my CCNA, I stopped listing my Network+ on my resume. CompTIA is vendor neutral, however you see the vendor neutral information in the Cisco material AND the Cisco specific material. Not to mention that Cisco exams carry much more weight than CompTIA exams...basically in the grand scheme of things it goes: CompTIA (beginner)
    Cisco anything (at least novice to intermediate). You cannot pass a Cisco exam without having fundamental knowledge of what CompTIA covers. Basically what I am saying is, it is kind of a step backwards once you get the CCENT.

Get Security+ or try for a system cert such as MCSA or Linux+, although you might run into a crunch because MCSA has 3 exams and Linux+ has 2. You could also work on a programming language like Python or bash scripting as both are very useful.