Bgp

mj8mj4mj8mj4 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone

I am starting with my CCNP routing . so my questions is ,,,, can I start with BGP before the other routing protocols ?

Comments

• MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    BGP is its own beast. I believe it is the only routing protocol that is totally new in the Route exam so you should already have a decent understanding of the other protocols. I followed the order that my study material had them in (EIGRP -> OSPF -> BGP) but most of the OSPF/EIGRP was review from CCNA so you should be good to start with BGP. In fact a lot of the labs I have done are mostly static routing in BGP with no iGP routing protocols set in.
  • mj8mj4mj8mj4 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    well do ...and thanks ....its just my work environment deal with BGP more ,, thanks for that .
  • fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    You only need some basic IGP knowledge to use them with BGP (for example, to get loopback reachability for iBGP sessions) so if you really want to you could look at BGP first.
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If your work environment deals with BGP then you are definitely golden to start with it. Some people have never seen BGP before CCNP so that is why it is usually considered a more difficult topic. I work at an ISP so BGP isn't really foreign to me but someone who works in a small enterprise network may have never touched BGP before. Its all context.