Server 2016 coming, should I upgrade 2008 MCITP to MCSE 2012 or wait?

vulcan4dvulcan4d Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello gents,

So Microsoft has announced that the next server version is being released in 2016. I hold many MS certifications including the MCITP 2008. I already did the 417 exam so I am MCSA 2012 certified, but I need to do both 413 & 414 to fully upgrade from MCITP 2008 to MCSE 2012. That was the plan until MS announced the next server version. Do you think it's best to wait and look and upgrade options to 2016, or upgrade to 2012 and then 2016 (lots of exams). I've only been in the IT field since 2011 so not very long, do you think they will even allow such a jump from 2008 to 2016? Thanks fellaws for any advice you can provide, I am sure this question will be coming up as more people realize the next server version is on it's way.

Comments

• Jose243Jose243 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Although I don't have much experience in the field yet, I don't think most companies are quick to jump ship to new software. The hotel I work at recently updated to server 2012 and windows 7, and we are on the verge of windows 10. It might not be worth spending that money now if no one is using the technology as of yet.
  • pjd007pjd007 Member Posts: 277 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you were to look back just 12-18 months ago you'd see people on here were complaining about not having relevant study materials for these exams so that is one thing to consider with the new 2016 exams plus MS spent a fairly long time perfecting the exam questions for exam 410 (and probably others).

Also as has been said, very few companies will migrate to 2016 initially and may not upgrade at all if there's not sufficient benefits to be gained and as you probably already know, your 2012 MCSE would be valid for 3 years so that would allow plenty of time to upgrade it later.
  • Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't have much experience with servers either but according to what I have observed throughout my experience, I suggest that you continue with your MCSE 2012 journey, the windows server 2016 version doesn't seem much different from server 2012 the only thing you will be missing will be the new added features that come with the product. If you concerned about keeping up to date with the latest windows server technology you will probably need to write one upgrade exam to earn your MCSE 2016. On the other hand looking at most infrastructures out there or in this part of the world some of them are still running windows server 2008/r2 or earlier versions so I am assuming that most infrastructure out there are running windows server 2012 and will take them a bit of time to upgrade their server to server 2016. I have also noticed that it takes time for Microsoft to release the study material when they release a new product so again I don't think you should risk waiting that long just to get your MCSE.

So in summary continue with your MCSE server 2012 in the meanwhile and then probably take one exam to upgrade to MCSE server 2016.
  • SkellySkelly Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    pjd007 wrote: »
    If you were to look back just 12-18 months ago you'd see people on here were complaining about not having relevant study materials for these exams so that is one thing to consider with the new 2016 exams plus MS spent a fairly long time perfecting the exam questions for exam 410 (and probably others).

Also as has been said, very few companies will migrate to 2016 initially and may not upgrade at all if there's not sufficient benefits to be gained and as you probably already know, your 2012 MCSE would be valid for 3 years so that would allow plenty of time to upgrade it later.

I'm reading this thread as I'm waiting for the patches to finish downloading for the server that I just upgraded from Windows 2003 to Windows 2008 R2. That's right... W2K8 R2, NOT W2K12 R2!

I have a full time job where we're just wrapping up the last of the W2K3 to W2K8 R2 upgrades, and I have a side project with another customer where I'm upgrading their servers from....you guessed it, W2K3 to W2K8 R2.

Your W2K12 skills will still be in demand for quite some time, heck probably the W2K8 skills as well. Even if Microsoft expires your certs, you'll still have a copy of the transcript that says you obtained it, that should keep potential employers happy. Most real companies don't follow the upgrade timetable that MS wants to dictate. Upgrades cost money, in labor hours, training and licensing.

And as the previous poster stated, this is a great time to take a test. There's plenty of prep material available, some you can even find used at a discount, and there's plenty of people who can advise you on how to prepare for the tests.
    2014 Goals: SCCM 2012 -Passed! MCSA 2012 -In progress, MCSE 2012 Server, MCSE Private Cloud
  • ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would go ahead and complete the MCSA 2012. It will be next year before 2016 is even out, mush less widely adopted in production environments. Also, as already mentioned, good study materials will be hard to come by the first year or so.
    2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
    CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!
  • 210mike210mike Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would do it. I haven't upgraded to the MCSA 2012, but it's on my list to do by the end of the year. After that I'll get the MCSE: Server Infrastructure.

New exams are a double edged sword. There is usually a smaller question bank focused mostly on newer features, which can make them easier to pass early on. The downside is there is a lack of study materials early in the exam lifecycle, so if you depend on guides and books to study, you generally have to wait for those to be released.
    WGU BS: IT Network and Design Management (Completed Oct 2014)
  • knownheroknownhero Member Posts: 450
    Don't even worry about Server 2016 until its got an R2
    70-410 [x] 70-411 [x] 70-462[x] 70-331[x] 70-332[x]
    MCSE - SharePoint 2013 :thumbup:

Road map 2017: JavaScript and modern web development

• daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nano Server and more PowerShell capabilities are worth waiting for to learn when it comes to getting certified IMHO.
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    knownhero wrote: »
    Don't even worry about Server 2016 until its got an R2

I say do the cert before the R2 material. Why wait for more material to study?
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    This topic still valid, wait for 2016 or get 2012 certification?
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I more often see go for the latest certification which has enough study material to gain the knowledge it certifies. In my short term career I've tried to do it that way but struggling with the lack of study materials for VCP6-DCV.

Microsoft seems to get study material out there quickly, albeit it can be very questionable quality. Given my previous experience I'd look for the training guides.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    Good thread, thanks!

I have the same question in mind but this thread makes me think to go ahead with MCSA Server 2012 and perhaps its MCSE too. Thanks! :)
  • Ataxic8338Ataxic8338 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Many companies are switching to Server 2012 now or recently have done. Being certified in it is a very good look right now. 2016 will be 2-3 years before managers and architects look at drafting plans for that.
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I did a couple of upgrades as I'm pretty old and I never was able to upgrade my MCSA/MCSE (or MCITP) jumping over a version of a server. You always upgrade to the next server version and only then you have an option to upgrade to the next after next.

So, basically, what I'm saying is, in before MS never allowed you to upgrade jumping over something. So most likely this behavior will persist and in order to be eligible for upgrade you'll have to upgrade your MCSA from 2008 to 2012 and then to 2016. Same goes with MCSE with the exception of there's no single exam for this and you have to upgrade to MCSA and then usually add two exams of your choice from a limited list that contribute to full MCSE with some kind of specialization.
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    I have a feeling that the 413 and 414 might be valid with MCSA 2016 to get MCSE 2016. This is based on not much but that the MCSE Enterprise Desktop and Apps has this pattern, and the absence of any version name in the MCSE qualification.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • motheomotheo Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Great info guys, thanks for sharing.
    I will go ahead and prepare to do 413, 414 & 417 to upgrade my MCITP 2008 to MCSE 2012.