WGU BS - IT Security Capstone Submitted

markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
So I just submitted my Capstone of 35 pages for the BSIT Security program at WGU. It's a pretty nice feeling knowing I'm about to be done. I started in April 2014, so it took me just a hair over a year to graduate. I came in with my Associate's transferring in, so I wasn't the fastest at completing everything, but I tried to get through it as best as I could with being able to balance family time.

It started paying off pretty quickly after starting since the certs I've gotten from here has gotten me more responsibilities at work. For anyone on the fence about doing this, just do it. I know it's going to help me even further down the road too with how many places now requiring that checkmark of a bachelor's degree.

I'm going to pass on the master's degree program as even though my company would pay for a portion of it, my time is better spent towards more certs with how few jobs would actually require a master's degree.

Regardless it was a great choice to attend here I believe. Much better than the last school I went to (Kaplan) and I absolutely love the self-study and self-pacing aspect.

Comments

• ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    Great work bud, congrats!
  • DaaxDaax Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats man! I'm going through the acceptance process now and will hopefully be starting August.

~Daax~
  • olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    What was your capstone topic?
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The topic was a small civil engineering company of 15 people (I imagined a place that I did land surveying at for a few years prior to my IT career) was using outdated networking equipment, PCs, and outdated software. Using hubs, workgroups, no firewall, no A/V, etc. So basically I did a full replacement of all of it. Went with Azure and O365 for file server, email, AD, DNS, DHCP. Incorporated wifi and vpn on their router, etc. I probably could have made it a smaller project but it was fun.
  • TR4V1STYTR4V1STY Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! Good to hear you had a good time throughout the program. I started April 1st 2015, exactly one year after of you :). I only transferred 9 credits in, though. Since April I have completed 28CUs, the easy classes for me (geography, algebra, intro it, communication, etc). Now I'm starting to slow down. Working on the Network+ class is testing my focus, getting back into school mode from years past.

The topic was a small civil engineering company of 15 people .
    Nice, gives me an idea of what I might want to do my capstone on when I get there. I saw in that other thread that you did 32 pages, more than the minimum 15~. Sounds like you made ample room for accessory pages and extra detail. That seems like a good way to do it. Also it's cool that you can take that capstone and maybe start a small business offering those services.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Awesome I'm right behind you and great to hear your almost done!! icon_cheers.gif

It also gave me a good idea for my capstone project.
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
    Glad I can help give some ideas. If anyone has any questions about the degree or classes they can hit me up.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    markulous wrote: »
    Glad I can help give some ideas. If anyone has any questions about the degree or classes they can hit me up.

Thanks dude!! :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • goatamagoatama Member Posts: 181
    Congrats, man! Kudos on the submittal, I'll cross my fingers that they don't kick it back. Now what are you going to do with your life, since you don't have anymore schoolwork? :D
    WGU - MSISA - Done!!
    Next up: eCPPT, eWDP, eWPT, eMAPT
    I'm going for my MCSA Server 2012. I'm going to go for that and see where that takes me. Maybe VCP5 after that, all depends on where I'm at.
    Ugh, of course it got kicked back. It states that the project timeline doesn't reflect the actual dates. Well it's a made up project so there are no actual dates and I actually made adjustments to it from the tech writing to the capstone.
  • EngRobEngRob Member Posts: 247 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on being almost done. Sounds like a fairly easy revision! Let us know when you get the good news back.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    yeah, seems like you just about got it. you project sounds similar to what I did for my MSISA capstone, except I went for an all Google platform.

congrats, WGU is well worth it, one of the best decisions I ever made
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    Came back good this time. All done. icon_cheers.gif
  • CodyyCodyy Member Posts: 223 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats man, switching from IT to IT Security track starting tomorrow, can't wait.
  • TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations, it's a great accomplishment and feeling!
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • ksijurksijur Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welcome to the club bud!
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    Congratulations, it's a great accomplishment and feeling!

it's amazing how much I didnt think I would care about it, but then once I was done, I really felt good about it
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! Looking forward to where it takes you.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)