CCENT/CCNA or CompTIA Security+

Armitron77Armitron77 Member Posts: 134 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am looking for advice in terms of either going for the CCENT/CCNA first, than get the CompTIA Security+ certification after obtaining my Network+. A friend of mine told me to go for the CCENT/CCNA first because I am studying for the Network+ certification. It will be better due to the fact that it will be fresh on my mine. He stated after getting the CCENT/CCNA, than I should get the Security+ certification. I am highly interested in both certifications. I thought I should get the Security+ certification and than the CCENT/CCNA. However, after listening to my friend, it actually makes sense. What do you think? All advice is welcomed.
Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer & Network Security
Associate in Applied Science Degree in Network Management
Associate in Applied Science Degree in Network Management/Cyber Security
CompTIA A+ Certified | CE, CompTIA Network+ Certified | CE

2016 Goals: CCENT/CCNA Routing & Switching COLOR=#008000][B]IN PROGRESS[/B][/COLOR/CompTIA Security+ COLOR=#008000][B]IN PROGRESS[/B][/COLOR

Comments

• volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Networking and Security and two different entities.
    Yes, one can argue that they go hand-in-hand... but imo, you need to choose ONE.

Personally, i agree with your friend. go for the ccent.
    In fact, the net+ and ccent can be studied Together. I spent 3-4 weeks studying the N10-005, and then i started studying for the CCENT. they complement each other quite well.

The Sec+ is garbage. i Would NOT spend any effort trying to get the certification. (Okay... Not Garbage... but NOT much value).
    If you "think" you want to eventually learn about Security stuff.. then get your CCNA-SECURITY later.

Leave the Sec+ alone (for now); NOT worth the effort.
    (UNLESS, your job is Making you get it. OR, you have No Experience, and potential Jobs demand that you have it in order to Apply)
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    @volfkhat

I disagree with a couple things.

Firstly, you have to know what your wanting to protect, so even if you wanted to get into the network security field, you'd still want at minimum CCNA-level knowledge.

Secondly Sec+ is not garbage. Really depends on some things. Depending on the area, you may see a lot of jobs that require that. Typically it's government contractors (i.e. Raytheon). Secondly, it's good knowledge to have, especially if you have interest in Security.

However, I do agree to go for the CCENT. I'll add this though: If he already has a job OR is not looking for a job this second, I'd probably just forgo paying for the N+ exam and go onto the CCENT. Much better ROI, especially when the CCNA is passed.
    @markulous

1) Armitron is already scheduled to take the Net+ in 2 weeks. So he's Not skipping it. His main question was: "What's next?"

2) Armitron already has an Associate's in Network/Security. Thus, I really can NOT advise him to pursue the Security+ over Cisco. You argue that "it's good knowledge to have"..... but i would argue that "he already has it".

3) You feel that the CCENT is a better Return-on-Investment than the Network+.
    100% Agreed.

And continuing this logic:
    The CCNA-Security is a better Return-on-Investment than the Security+.

But then again, i've never taken the CCNA-Sec; so i will defer to you...
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I didn't see anywhere he said he was taking the test in two weeks, but if he's already got the voucher and is taking it then disregard my statement.

Really depends where he wants to take it. I don't see anyone requiring or wanting a CCNA Security anywhere, however I see a lot of government contracted jobs wanting the S+. It all depends on what he's looking for. After the CCNA, I'd probably rather go to a CCNP or CEH if he wants to get into network security. But again, I have no idea what his goals are or what jobs in his area are wanting.
  • Armitron77Armitron77 Member Posts: 134 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @markulous

I just wanted to apologize for not stating that I take my Network+ exam in 26 days. The main purpose of my post was for advice or recommendation if I should obtain the Security+ first and then the CCENT/CCNA or vice versa. Either way, no matter what path I take, I still plan on obtaining both certifications to keep all options open in terms for skill, knowledge, and employment opportunities (such as government contracted jobs, etc.). Just trying to decide on what path to take next. I want to learn as much as I can while I still have the time available. Volfkhat is right, I'm not going to skip the Network+ certification because I have invested too much time and money into it. And again, I'm already scheduled to take the exam in 26 days anyway. Therefore, I'm just doing a lot of reviewing at this point. As previously stated, my friend recommended that I start studying for the CCENT/CCNA first after getting my Network+ and later the Security+. I'm still deciding on what path to take first. That's all. My main goal is to become a Network Administrator with Security knowledge, protecting enterprise and or corporate networks. However, I still value your advice markulous. Again, all advice/recommendations still welcomed.

2016 Goals: CCENT/CCNA Routing & Switching COLOR=#008000][B]IN PROGRESS[/B][/COLOR/CompTIA Security+ COLOR=#008000][B]IN PROGRESS[/B][/COLOR
    No need to apologize. If anything, i was the one being 'unnecessarily' fussy. lol

With everything being said, i definitely agree with markulous: keep going Immediately for your CCNET.
    markulous wrote: »
    After the CCNA, I'd probably rather go to a CCNP or CEH if he wants to get into network security. But again, I have no idea what his goals are or what jobs in his area are wanting.

That's cool to know. If/when i pass the ccna... i will keep your advice in mind.
    fyi, i had clicked on Armitron's profile and read through some of his other posts; that's how i knew a little more about his situation :]

Lastly, i still say the Sec+ aint worth the time. The test is painfully shallow (and too many of the questions were poorly worded).
    The Cisco security cert would yield more practical knowledge/value.

But maybe Markulous is Right, and i'm wrong.
    If you still want to get it, then use Professor Messer's online course. Assuming you didnt SLEEP your way through schooll... it will be 75% review anyway.
    And don't take more than 8-10 weeks to study. ANything more is a Waste of Time & Money.

You will Understand where i'm coming from AFTER you take your N10-005 :]
  • Armitron77Armitron77 Member Posts: 134 ■■■□□□□□□□
    volfkhat wrote: »
    No need to apologize. If anything, i was the one being 'unnecessarily' fussy. lol

With everything being said, i definitely agree with markulous: keep going Immediately for your CCNET.

That's cool to know. If/when i pass the ccna... i will keep your advice in mind.
    fyi, i had clicked on Armitron's profile and read through some of his other posts; that's how i knew a little more about his situation :]

Lastly, i still say the Sec+ aint worth the time. The test is painfully shallow (and too many of the questions were poorly worded).
    The Cisco security cert would yield more practical knowledge/value.

But maybe Markulous is Right, and i'm wrong.
    If you still want to get it, then use Professor Messer's online course. Assuming you didnt SLEEP your way through schooll... it will be 75% review anyway.
    And don't take more than 8-10 weeks to study. ANything more is a Waste of Time & Money.

You will Understand where i'm coming from AFTER you take your N10-005 :]

Thank you for your advice volfkhat. I will take it under consideration.