Is LPIC-2 substantially more difficult than 1?

lawrence_of_arabialawrence_of_arabia Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello TE, been a while since my last post. I recently interviewed for a Windows sys admin position. To my surprise, I was offered the position of linux sys admin (seemingly the bigger role, there are 100+ linux servers in the environment). I did convey that my linux skills are not the greatest, I barely acheived the LPIC-1. They are willing to invest in me pending I undergo a great deal of on the job facilitation and acquire the LPIC2/3 within a year to 'fill out the role.' In short, I'm wandering how much more difficult the LPIC-2 is compared to 1. I took the exams as the CompTIA Linux+ and they were both pretty difficult (for me), especially 101. Obviously, I plan on breathing more linux now and dedicating more time to study, but I was hoping someone who has taken LPIC-2 could shed some light/provide some study tips. Thanks!

Comments

• jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you are talking about LPIC-2 202 exam, it seems to cover the same objectives as in the RHCSA exam. Can you confidently install server services and configure them? At work, I'm always dealing with HTTP, DNS, NFS, SMTP, LDAP, and iptables (I use FireHOL).
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    LPIC-2 AND 3 in one single year? !
    lpic 2 absolutely is harder than rhcsa. Rhcsa doesn't deal with those services' configurations, it stays on the client side (as per objectives). It is also definitely harder than lpic 1. Just one look at the objectives of lpic 2 and you'll see that for example you'll have to deal with kernel compilation, something many users haven't done ever, just because there's no need for that anymore.
    And then, there's this pedestrian work around memorizing commands' options. Syntax of configuration files, and not all services follow standards.
    I was seriously considering taking lpic 2 before linux academy came out with their rhcsa course. But I switched gears and now am looking into passing rhcsa first and then see what next.
  • lawrence_of_arabialawrence_of_arabia Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There appears to be a tiny bit of overlap from lpic-1 based on the objectives. Then again, there are some utilities listed that I've never even heard of. Damn. I can see that these are difficult exams, but is one year really that unrealistic to pass both? That is the employer's requirement.
  • ExpectExpect Member Posts: 252 ■■■■□□□□□□
    varelg wrote: »
    LPIC-2 AND 3 in one single year? !
    lpic 2 absolutely is harder than rhcsa. Rhcsa doesn't deal with those services' configurations, it stays on the client side (as per objectives). It is also definitely harder than lpic 1. Just one look at the objectives of lpic 2 and you'll see that for example you'll have to deal with kernel compilation, something many users haven't done ever, just because there's no need for that anymore.
    And then, there's this pedestrian work around memorizing commands' options. Syntax of configuration files, and not all services follow standards.
    I was seriously considering taking lpic 2 before linux academy came out with their rhcsa course. But I switched gears and now am looking into passing rhcsa first and then see what next.

There is absolutely now way you can compare a questions based exam to a hands on exam. I've taken both and RHCSA > LPIC1+LPIC2, RHCE > LPIC-3 by far.
  • lawrence_of_arabialawrence_of_arabia Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Expect, what study resources did you use for the LPIC 2 exams?
  • kly630kly630 Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm not sure the material will be that much harder, but it's probably a question of what you're expected to know and be comfortable with. LPIC-2 looks like it gives you a good grounding in everything you'll need to be a solid sys admin. Really not sure what LPIC-3 entails but seems like it's something you probably won't need within a year just to be a good sys admin.

You probably have everything you need to be a decent enough sys admin with the LPIC-1 as long as you're sitting under someone else. If there's no one else though I'd be a bit cautious.