Options

Stick w/ Current Job or Move On???

DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey Everybody,
I'm currently in a position that I'm not happy with and its not very challenging at all. I've been in this position for about 9 months and would like to find something better. Fortunately, the pay is decent and I'm able to get some studying done while I work.

Here is the problem, I'm planning on moving next summer (approximately 1 year) to a totally different state. My question is, should I stick with my current job for another year or try to find something more challenging and more enjoyable knowing that I'll only be there for a year?

My concern is that my employer when I move will think I jump jobs allot, which is not the case. My thoughts up until now have been, I'll stick with this job unless I can find a much better one that pays AT LEAST 5K more per year.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    If this job gives you time to study, and you still have certs to study for, I'd say stick around. That's one of the reasons I haven't left my current job ahead of the inevitable layoff or transfer to an assignment I dislike.
  • Options
    SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
    Stick w/ the current job. If you leave now and move to another job only to leave in a year it'll look worse than you leaving in a year. Plus you'll have almost 2 years in one place as opposed to 9 months in one place and 12 months in another.
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    SRTMCSE wrote:
    Stick w/ the current job. If you leave now and move to another job only to leave in a year it'll look worse than you leaving in a year. Plus you'll have almost 2 years in one place as opposed to 9 months in one place and 12 months in another.
    Agreed!
    Some employers will look to see if you have a habit of job hopping.
  • Options
    DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the feedback so far! I had a feeling thats what people would say. I actually have a 2nd. interview next week. I will probably go through with the interview, but if they offer me 5K+ it will be really hard to turn down. :)

Anyone else have an opinion on this?
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Nothing wrong with taking another job in this situation if it will help you develop your career. If it's a job doing the exact same thing I don't see as much of an upside.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    rcooprcoop Member Posts: 183
    DirtySouth,

You are considering the right things, and believe you are on the right track if you just stick it out at your current job.

In your case, if you are actually moving states in a year, don't let the "job hopping" consideration prevent you from taking a new job especially if you move into a new job that A) pays more, or B) has a better title/responsibility. Any employer realizes that you will likely need to change jobs if you move to another state, so the most recent job change will have a ligitimate reason they won't associate with job hopping (unless of course you move every two years or so :D )

Remember, applying for a job in the state you move to will dictate why you are now looking for a job, and the raise or position advancement will reasonably explain the previous one 12 months earlier.

Best of luck!
    RCoop
    Working on MCTS:SQL Server 2005 (70-431) & Server+