Going back to old job as a manager?

TerminalBTerminalB Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

Just for some background, I left my old company about two months ago for a new job as a senior systems admin.
While there has definitely been some adjustment, I've managed to grow into the role and things are going pretty good.
So about a week ago, my old director sent me an email asking if I would be interested in coming back as a manager, as one had just retired unexpectedly.

Two questions I have regarding this:

1) Would it be advisable to go back to my old company after two months? I loved my old manager and co-workers, so there is definitely some sentimentality involved.

2) After reaching out to me and asking me to call, I have yet to be able to get into contact with my former director (left a VM and sent a follow up email thus far). It's been over a week now, so should I sit tight and wait for them to get back to me or reach back out and see what's going on?

Thanks

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    My first question is, why did you originally leave?
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    My first question is, why did you originally leave?

this!

plus do you want to get away from the technical side yet, and go to management?
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    So they want you back as a manager, you've made a couple attempts to contact them, and they haven't responded back in over a week... That last part seems off to me.
  • TerminalBTerminalB Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Both great questions :)

I originally left because I felt I was kind of stagnating and wanted something else.

I definitely don't want to leave the technical side, but this job is a "technical management" role, so I should still be able to get my hands dirty on a semi-regular basis.
    So they want you back as a manager, you've made a couple attempts to contact them, and they haven't responded back in over a week... That last part seems off to me.

Yeah, it's really odd to me. I initially responded back and said that I would be interested depending on the salary and he then asked me to give him a call that night to discuss. I have since called and left a VM, sent an email, and not one word back. He has never been great about responding back, so that's why I'm debating on reaching out again to close the loop.
  • srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□

I agree. If you left for greener pastures and are currently gainfully employed, there's no need to hound them about this. You called and left a message, that's good enough. If they are interested enough they will return your call. If not, then their loss, right?
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • yeah yeahyeah yeah Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Be careful; coming back to a job after a short amount of time is never a good look. Even if it is a promotion. Don't constantly contact them, cause each time you do, you're just decreasing the amount that's going to show up on that offer letter.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Stay where you are. It sounds fishy to me.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    I would stay where you are if it was me. Just because you left for a reason and found a new place and things are already good why leave?

Also without seeing the description most people I have worked with that are "technical management" do not get that much hands on. They got some but I would say 80% manager and 20% engineer and that was if things were backed up or fubar.
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    There are reasons you left. I'd stay away.
  • ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    My last management position was listed as 50% managerial and hands on technical .... ended up being 100% managerial and 0% technical.

With that being said.. that has nothing to do with where you are or what you would be actually able to do on tech side, but you left for a reason... and if you left them wanting more.. and are happy where you are.. then you did something right..

"keep it movin"
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @ ChitownJedi! icon_lol.gif

I remember the first time I took the "tech team lead position". I was stoked I thought man I will be building SQL servers and optimizing them etc. Nope!

I was managing engineers and making sure the invoices were sent in on time to our customer. I remember having to do SWOT analysis once when we had a process break down. I was 101% management 0% tech.

N2IT we will need your monthly forecast and projected revenue fro the following quarter. Hahaha I can remember that just like it was yesterday.

I hope I didn't derail the thread, but I had to comment on that.
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I did just that at a previous job. I left for career advancement and they called me back 3 months later. I returned as supervisor over my old team with a nice bump in pay (over both jobs). It was a great move for me - I had good relationships with everyone in the department and went on to change roles again 2 years later (back to a more technical one).

I might tell you to check back periodically if it weren't for the fact that they know you so well. You don't need to get noticed in this interview process, so I'd just sit back and wait on them.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's never happened to me but I know 2 that have returned to an old company with a nice promotion. It's worked great for them and they receive regular rewards now. Some companies see what they've lost once they're gone and find them hard to replace. I would suggest seriously considering a return if you were happy there and it's a step towards your goal. Weigh the pros and cons but expect to be a rock star at the old company if you return.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
    xenodamus wrote: »
    I did just that at a previous job. I left for career advancement and they called me back 3 months later. I returned as supervisor over my old team with a nice bump in pay (over both jobs). It was a great move for me - I had good relationships with everyone in the department and went on to change roles again 2 years later (back to a more technical one).

I might tell you to check back periodically if it weren't for the fact that they know you so well. You don't need to get noticed in this interview process, so I'd just sit back and wait on them.

Yeah, that's kind of how I could envision this turning out for me as well. That being said, I'd really like to know what the potential salary would be, etc., so I'm just a little taken aback that they haven't gotten back in touch with me. My former boss has never been one to reply to emails in a timely manner, but we are going on two weeks at this point.