Jobs in unusual locations - Antarctica

TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
I was watching a documentary the other day on Netflix, Antarctica a year on ice and it was awsome! The fun and the cool things these people that work there get to see and experience it's amazing!

Then today I looked for jobs in the US base there and found this posting VoIP Network Engineer there are other ones and usually they are 4 or 6 month contracts. If any of you are interested they have entery level positions like desktop support and pc repair technicians too. If you want to explore an area that not a lot of people see, this is it.

Do you have the guts to do it? I would but just started a position 3 months ago, that's my excuse :p

Comments

• BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If I was single, I would already be there ;)
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    No thanks. Even if I was single that sounds terrible. But to each his own.
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Guys, you should watch the documentary on Netflix, it will blow your mind. It's a wonderful world we live in and so many things we have not seen. Watch the documentary when you have some free time.
  • cshkurucshkuru Member Posts: 246 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I spent 6 months in McMurdo Station back in 1992. It was a great experience. I would love to go back.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks for the recommendation, I'll watch tonight.
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    cshkuru wrote: »
    I spent 6 months in McMurdo Station back in 1992. It was a great experience. I would love to go back.

The documentary is about McMurdo base. How was your experience there? It's a lot of working hours but for 6 months getting to live there must have been amazing right?

How did you get the job? Some positions fill fast i read but others you can get in easy. How did you end up there?
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    unusual places like Australia?
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• cshkurucshkuru Member Posts: 246 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was in the Navy, went down for Operation Deep Freeze. The base runs 24 hours a day and a lot of the workers were on 12 hour shifts when I was there but you don't really notice because you are busy all the time. During the ship resupply everyone works 24 hours a day. saw a lot of cool stuff. Ice caves, Mount Erebus, Weddell Seals living basically in the base, Penguins, Orcas after the Ice breaker came thru and vroke up the ice. 1200 people on the base and there were 5 bars and a package store we partied hard.
  • LevithanLevithan Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Its sounds quite interesting! I know a guy whos done this every winter for a couple years. He obviously has enjoyed it enough to go back a few times.

Im curious how much the pay is for IT jobs there. Where can you find this kind of work...?
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    markulous wrote: »
    No thanks. Even if I was single that sounds terrible. But to each his own.

+1 , I see enough snow and ice already. I would not be mad if I never saw another snowflake again!