Options

IA Help!

Vincej1213Vincej1213 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am going to be very frank about what I say. I am under qualified for the position I currently hold. I jumped from a tier II helpdesk position to IA and have little idea what I'm doing. I was hired with no technical interview on a Saturday and started that Monday. I was an "emergency hire", but I still want to fulfill my contract and actually learn and know what I'm doing. I have experience with Retina scans, but we use ACAS here and I have no idea how to even begin scanning and patching. I don't know what I'm doing with what I search for either. I've found info like IA or Dummies, but it still doesnt break it down low enough for me. is there any site I can go to or books I can buy to learn this? This opportunity is great and I do not want to screw it up. I have Comptia Security+ and MCSA. Any info would help greatly. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Is ACAS a DOD/DOJ Nessus-based thing? I remember some .gov peeps talking about it at a conference a while back.
  • Options
    cyberguypr, yes it is. Sometime around 2013/2014 they switched over. This is my first federal contract so I am completely unfamiliar with it. Hard to find specifics for it online because of how new it is and its a DoD tool.
  • Options
    mistabrumley89mistabrumley89 Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No time. Just gonna leave this here

DISA - ACAS
    Goals: WGU BS: IT-Sec (DONE) | CCIE Written: In Progress
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/charlesbrumley
  • Options
    mistabrumley89mistabrumley89 Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Someone from tenable.com might be able to send you some more information if you email them. Also, CECOM does Nessus training. They might be able to send you their slide deck, if you're nice.
    Goals: WGU BS: IT-Sec (DONE) | CCIE Written: In Progress
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/charlesbrumley
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    FedVTE has a course on ACAS. The best training you're going to find is from DISA's website since they own the suite. I suggest working on your Linux skills as well since I've yet to see it hosted on another OS.
  • Options
    CodyyCodyy Member Posts: 223 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Verities wrote: »
    FedVTE has a course on ACAS. The best training you're going to find is from DISA's website since they own the suite. I suggest working on your Linux skills as well since I've yet to see it hosted on another OS.

This, it's a 32 hour course. There was a guy on here a while back mentioning that he worked with ACAS daily and offered assistance if anyone needed it. I'll try to find his username.

Edit: See thread below, user is zxbane.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/111361-tentative-offer-fed-gov.html#post944588
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Codyy wrote: »
    This, it's a 32 hour course. There was a guy on here a while back mentioning that he worked with ACAS daily and offered assistance if anyone needed it. I'll try to find his username.

Edit: See thread below, user is zxbane.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/111361-tentative-offer-fed-gov.html#post944588

32 hours is a lot. I sat through the HBSS course and hated every minute of it. I have no work experience with it or even interact with the suite, but it was a work requirement.
  • Options
    CodyyCodyy Member Posts: 223 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Verities wrote: »
    32 hours is a lot. I sat through the HBSS course and hated every minute of it. I have no work experience with it or even interact with the suite, but it was a work requirement.

I also sat through the HBSS in-class course a couple of months ago. Same instructor that's in the videos ..wasn't a fan.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the help! I'm going to check out FedVTE and DISA. Also, i'll contact zxbane immediately.