Standing Desk!

NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
So who has tried them out or uses them? Anyone tried them out and dislike them?

My company is having anyone who wants to try them out a chance to and thinking about doing it. I've had back issues every so often (wonder if relates to sitting at a desk all day) and think a standing a desk might help.

Comments

• --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    So who has tried them out or uses them? Anyone tried them out and dislike them?

My company is having anyone who wants to try them out a chance to and thinking about doing it. I've had back issues every so often (wonder if relates to sitting at a desk all day) and think a standing a desk might help.

I made one for work, the trick to being comfortable with them is finding the right height for you. If your company is supplying the desks, than they should be adjustable which will resolve this.

I like it, I have a bulging disk that gets painful if I sit for more than an hour or two. Standing completely takes that pain away. Not to mention it burns an additional 200+ cals a day.
  • moe12moe12 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Many of us use them at my job. At first we made our own out of the shelves, then our bosses pushed for the company to purchase them for us.
    Make sure you get one which can be adjustable back down to a desk. There will be some days where you will want to sit. Keep in mind the size of the base so you know the limits of the monitor you can put on it. Overall I think they are great.

One other thing, look into a nice anti-fatigue mat. It will feel like a pillow under your feet.
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    A few guys at my company use standing desks and they love it since they all have back problems. If you do use the standing desk, make sure you're taking rests on a chair in between or else you're just going to trade off back pain for foot and/or knee pain..
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'll have to give it a try. My back has been getting sore recently.

The only thing that sucks is I won't be able to use my big leaf I have to block out the florescent lights here! I can sit all the way under that thing. It may look a little silly but I love it!

• PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If they get the adjustable height desks you can switch it up whenever you want
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    My husband uses the standing treadmill desk. He loves it.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    We're getting these in our new office at the Denver Tech Center. It's adjustable so we can sit or stand as we feel like it. I'm stoked.
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    We have 2 people here who are almost 7 feet tall. Both use them because back problems and like them. They come with a little up and down hydrolic button to make it go down if they need to sit.
  • ScrawnyRonnieScrawnyRonnie Member Posts: 112
    I've enjoyed having one at my current job. I try to stand at least 1/2 the day. It mounts my 2 monitors and has a tray for keyboard/mouse which I can lower when I want to sit. The only thing is the carpet is very thin and has no padding underneath so I either need to start gellin or get a standing mat.
    :lol:
  • 10Linefigure10Linefigure Member Posts: 368 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I use mine every day: VARIDESK: Work Elevated they are great. And when you get tired, sit down with the laptop, back to standing a few mins later. Oh, and if you can get away with no shoes standing on a gel mat, its pretty much the way to live your life haha. Good luck!
    CCNP R&S, Security+
    B.S. Geography - Business Minor
    MicroMasters - CyberSecurity
    Professional Certificate - IT Project Management
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I use mine every day: VARIDESK: Work Elevated they are great. And when you get tired, sit down with the laptop, back to standing a few mins later. Oh, and if you can get away with no shoes standing on a gel mat, its pretty much the way to live your life haha. Good luck!

The adjustable desk they are offering is pretty close to that I believe. Love the idea about the gel mat too that sounds nice! I can probably get away without wearing shoes most of the time. Doubt anyone would say anything to me. You can see that giant leaf I have at my desk right now in the picture above. Pretty sure that is a fire hazard to have that over a computer. lol
  • nelson8403nelson8403 Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I work for a large furniture company so they can make us pretty much anything we need, I have a standing desk (adjustable) and we have a chair that goes up about 4 feet so most of the time I just kick up my feet and sit but it's nice to be able to stand up and stretch after sitting down for so long.
    Bachelor of Science, IT Security
    Master of Science, Information Security and Assurance

CCIE Security Progress: Written Pass (06/2016), 1st Lab Attempt (11/2016)
  • JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I sit on a medicine ball all day and rub my butt around it from side to side.
  • anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Many people at my job use the Varidesk standing desk. They seem to work fine. The gel mats they come with stink for about a week though.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    i would use an adjustable one, but I wouldn't use a permanent standing one
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Mr.NetworkMr.Network Member Posts: 117
    I recently got an adjustable desk, its connecting to power so I can change the height whenever I want. I would say that I'm standing 60% of my work time. It's better for the back and I feel I have more energy after I started using the desk, don't know why.
    CCNA R&S, MCSA.
  • wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I use a standing desk I made from an Ikea desk and some wood at home, but I bought a decent stool type desk chair to use with it so I can sit when I am working on something that takes more then an hour or two. Regular desk at work, so try to stand while at home as much as I can.

The adjustable desks are super nice, but you can spend a lot less on a full time standing desk with a nice chair. A good gel mat is also a must have, and I also have a footstool for when I am using the taller chair.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    A nice mat to stand on is key. I tried it for a bit and my feet hurt more than my back from sitting.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.