What would happen to IT jobs if this law ever passed?

Bchen2Bchen2 Banned Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
France Bans After-Hours Work Emails - Business Insider

German Labor Ministry Bans After-Hours Email (Internally) - The Billfold

Europe decides that work emails and after hour emails are banned after 6PM you are not required to answer emails or phone calls.

What would happen to IT Jobs thou if that law passed here in the USA?

I would think it benefit the economy for hiring more staffed workers to cover 24/7 shifts ( Network and Server etc) for companies that require it no?

Exception for this rule would be REAL SERIOUS Emergencies like network and servers or police officiers

Comments

• kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    I dont know...
    I'm sure you get some kind of special privilege or something.
    On my previous job I even had an emergency badge to travel even when roads were closed.

I hope those laws are just for like normal employees, I dont see how an Admin can go without been able to send emails after hours.
    meh
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    We'd loose a little more competitive advantage to countries willing to spend longer hours in the office getting things done and to innovate. Or so the story goes. I don't know where equilibrium would be reached but as it stands the average US work week is 32.8 hours or roughly half my week.

- beads
  • LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    beads wrote: »
    We'd loose a little more competitive advantage to countries willing to spend longer hours in the office getting things done and to innovate. Or so the story goes. I don't know where equilibrium would be reached but as it stands the average US work week is 32.8 hours or roughly half my week.

- beads
    Probably includes people at Walmart who only get 20 hours, and hipsters at Starbucks who only want 25 hours.

Probably also includes HR and others that work 40 hours only in a very technical sense #triplelunch.
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    We just might be happier.

I worked in a NOC that was 24/7 while our EU counterparts just handed over their unfinished work to us at the end of their day. My attitude of stay until the job was done was laughed at by the French and Italians. Don't get me started on our Greek help desk. They always seemed to be in good moods while we were stressed. They took their two hour lunches while we covered for them. They took longer vacations and had more holidays while we picked up the slack.

I need to move.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would hate that because then that would just create the need to make some of your admins night shift admins and I would hate to be that admin. In my opinion this is something that the employer and the employee should be able to negotiate before hiring somebody. I was well aware that I'd have to take care of emergencies and maintenance's after hours when I started this job.
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think it would lead to reduce wages. Why pay for one admin, when we can have 2 part time admins???
    Just a thought

Everyone thinks they have the best idea of how to increase the economy/jobs. For example increase the minimum wage..request manager get paid over time. See this link:

Boosting Overtime: Obama Calls for Broader Coverage - US News

No one ever thinks how these changes will effect businesses. SURPRISE!!! If a business can't afford to pay it's workers, then they could go out of business.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A quote from the article "Germany’s labor ministry has banned managers from calling or emailing staff out of hours except in emergencies. The ministry says the measure is intended to prevent staff from suffering undue stress by being constantly on call."

uhh Maybe it is just me but that is still being constantly on-call, no? The only reason I ever get contacted after hours is when there is an emergency. I have heard of others that would get late night calls from owners/managers for piddly issues but I've never had that issue (luckily). Even when I worked for the phone company many years ago, I was always on-call in the event of storm damage etc. One difference between the phone company and my IT job is I was hourly there and I am classified as exempt now. It would be nice to be compensated at an hourly rate or even a per incident charge for after hours work.

@NetworkingStudent: FWIW, the graph shows Americans are working less than we did in the 50's. With that said, my goal is to work less and make more (I haven't quite figured that one out yet but I am working on it). That is the point no one thinks past the nose on their face. Just about everything that gets implemented as a fix has unintended consuquences. Think Housing bubble, soon to be education bubble etc etc.

Regards,
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    He pisses me off, sorry.

Everything sounds good from 1 point of view but he needs to see the overall picture and look at it from different angles. More money in the pockets of the people who work at jobs that can afford it, but companies will not go for it.

On a side note, 23k is considered wage? Call me silly, but I have never seen a position that makes 23k and was considered wage.
  • SoCalGuy858SoCalGuy858 Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
    kurosaki00 wrote: »
    I dont know...
    On my previous job I even had an emergency badge to travel even when roads were closed.

Government emergency essential employee?
    LinkedIn - Just mention you're from TE!