Dumbest boss in the world

2sweet292sweet29 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Have any of u worked for a boss that did not know anything about computer but always talking like he know everything :)

I am working with one right now, he is constantly listening to my phone calls and trying to figure out how to fix this problem or that problem, why you asking me all the questions you get paid the big bucks icon_twisted.gif

I guess sometimes in IT its not what u know but who u know to get the job!

SORRY....just venting!

Comments

• OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    If he's just a manager, then that's normal. Most managers aren't technical. If he holds a technical position then there's a big problem.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • 2sweet292sweet29 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hell yeah he holds a technical positon, he is the Help Desk Manager...go figure he is the one that ALWAYS needs help :D
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    2sweet29 wrote:
    Have any of u worked for a boss that did not know anything about computer but always talking like he know everything :)

I am working with one right now, he is constantly listening to my phone calls and trying to figure out how to fix this problem or that problem, why you asking me all the questions you get paid the big bucks icon_twisted.gif

I guess sometimes in IT its not what u know but who u know to get the job!

SORRY....just venting!

Even though you should respect the chain of command, there is situations where this is not good. For example this guy wanting to learn from you creates a bad working enviroment for you. However, managers also cannot know everything and use the employee to do the work they don't have time to do, don't want to do or don't know how. I use the rule of thumb for small companies never delegate work that you as a manager cannot do yourself, large companies is a little different. As long as the employee does a good job, the manager gets the credit. Do you think business owners can setup a PIX? No, they just tell the IT Dept. to do it. However, when the manager starts taking credit for something an employee does, that is a problem. Managers should praise their employees for the good jobs they do. A good manager is scored by how good his employees are and has employees that can run the dept while the manager is golfing or away. icon_wink.gif
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Seems typical...
    My boss is willing to learn and he knows a lot about older desktop support issues. He just is not up to date on new technologies as much. It took a lot for me to convince him to move our clients to Windows 2000 from 98.

When it comes to Server issues, netowrking or programming he sends it my way usually... Anything that we get that is new, I pretty much take care of... Like taking on the responsibility of the website or Cable channel... He does not know how work with either so I have to have very detailed notes that are simple enough for anyone to read.

It's just one of those things I guess....
    What gets me is that they always want the employees to take a class on this or that, but they are not willing to do the same, but they still get the big bucks.....go figure

Well I'm waiting to here from someone with a Networking job so hopefully I will be out of here sooner than later!
  • EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You dont know how good you have it.I had a boss before who didnt want me
    to do training and did everything he could to stop me studying during quite periods.He was very insecure, i dont know why you worry about your boss,just worry about yourself, study and when your ready move on to bigger and better things while your boss stays behind.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ed_the_lad wrote:
    You dont know how good you have it.I had a boss before who didnt want me
    to do training and did everything he could to stop me studying during quite periods.He was very insecure, i dont know why you worry about your boss,just worry about yourself, study and when your ready move on to bigger and better things while your boss stays behind.

well spoke.. i have been there myself and partly there now.. icon_eek.gif

CCNP here i come leaving these guys at work in my dust icon_wink.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
    Its not so much that I am worrying about him it just makes my job alot harder to do with his constant questioning all of my actions becomes annoying at times.

Just me venting........
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    I see no problem with a manager delegating tasks that are reasonable and expected for the team to do. That's why he is a manager: to manage. Now if he takes personal credit, then there's a problem. A good manager may delegate, but will give credit to the employees under him for doing the work. He only gets credit for making sure the work got done.

Years ago when I was a tech for a very small company, my boss wanted me to work on his printer. He didn't seem to have much to do, and I had plenty of work to take care of, and he was a tech. So I told him to put his printer on the spare bench and start working on it. If he got stuck, I'd help him. Our relationship was more personal than just a strictly business relationship so I could afford to 'encourage' him to work on his own printer. He did indeed work on it, and I helped him through it while I did the repairs that brought in money.
  • 12thlevelwarrior12thlevelwarrior Member Posts: 302
    I have found the best way to deal with a micro-manager type boss is to communicate even more than you normally would. keep him updated on projects more than you would otherwise. it seems counter intuitive, but in time his desire to micro manage fades. i feel the desire to micro manage comes from a basic lack of trust that someone will do the job well.
    Every man dies, not every man really lives.
  • bcairnsbcairns Member Posts: 280
    my last manager could not manage his way out of a wet paper bag...I ended up taking his job
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Managers don't have to be good techs, but if he can't manage either, then you have a problem.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...