Need advice /opinions on what you would do if it was you

kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
So many of you know I am a pretty positive person over all. I have been through enough in life that not a ton of things bother me that much anymore unless it directly relates to my family.

My current role I am at a Fortune 1000 company that long story short has no idea what they are doing. I have been under a current manager for about 9 months now and have been trying to get it the better side of things as he is new at his role. It has finally completely set in that these people are holding my career back and keeping me from being the best engineer I can be.

Now don't get me wrong. I have learned every job has something you can take away from it and there is plenty I have taken away from here.

Here is the part i need advice on. I am stuck. I dont mean I dont have the experience nor the certifications or skills to move on. I recently had a child and my wife has no vacation or sick time and I am the only one that has it so I can take off work if one of the little ones get sick. At least until October. So the thought is ok, sharpen my skills and begin looking in October. Maximize my dorky engineeriness (this is a word i swear). Well then comes part 2. If I ride this out until January I will get a 15% bonus of my current pay. This would be enough to pay off my associates loans which would give me the capabilities to start WGU next year and knock out my bachelors.

I am not really sure if I start the hunt in September (figuring interviews and 2 weeks etc i would be done around October - late Nov if it went well) or grit my teeth and for-go another 6 -7 months in sake of the bonus for financial freedom (this would make my only debt my home. No CC, no cars, nothing) and just put my nose to the books and fry my brain.

(Quick notes, I am compensated well that isn't and issue. I am in very good standing here and have a very positive rep. The issue is my manager feels that technical skills are useless [Not kidding] and my job will go away in time so i am better just developing business skills so training here is zilch minus what I do on my own and get from Vendors for free [Which i been now told I can do to but they wont pay my milage]. The position above him isn't much better)

So. What would you do if it was you?

Comments

• MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would start looking as early as possible (September, in your case). The right role may come along and provide you with even more than the 12.5% bonus. Do you live in an area where there are vendors looking for your certifications to fill partnership roles? If so, you may hit the jackpot. You will never know unless you start putting out the feelers.
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Mow wrote: »
    I would start looking as early as possible (September, in your case). The right role may come along and provide you with even more than the 12.5% bonus. Do you live in an area where there are vendors looking for your certifications to fill partnership roles? If so, you may hit the jackpot. You will never know unless you start putting out the feelers.

Yep I live in the western burbs outside of Chicago.
  • MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So, with all of your "Cisco Certified"s, you should be able to land something pretty nice at a VAR. Even if it's a more lateral move, it sounds like you're in a poisonous position right now, where you're expected to stagnate because management isn't forward thinking.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Based on what you wrote, I personally wouldn't start interviewing until December or January. It should be pretty slow and since budgets free up in January, you should be able to land something right after you collect your bonus. If you are not in a rush, and it sounds like you tolerate your job, why leave money on the table.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    It was a no brainier until the bonus part. Depending on your compensation that's a nice chunk of change. I'd definitely be looking to get out of there as fast as possible from a tech pint of view, but financially you know what you can handle. So, I guess not much help from me.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Small update: I been here for about 1.75 years and the bonus is $12,375 before taxes.
    **EDIT - Fixed bonus numbers to right number**
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Whats that after taxes like 6k? Doesn't sound worth it to me at all. Wouldn't there be a good chance you would make that up just in an increase in salary at a different company? January is not that close. If was one or two months away I could see it being worth it, but it is seven.
  • alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you can stand it, hold out for the 10k. Only reason I say that is because of the plans you have for the money. Being debt free is a great place to be. However, if you can land a job making say 20-30k more a year, then it may be worth walking away from it.

Regards,
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
    Whats that after taxes like 6k? Doesn't sound worth it to me at all. Wouldn't there be a good chance you would make that up just in an increase in salary at a different company? January is not that close. If was one or two months away I could see it being worth it, but it is seven.

I relooked it up, small correction - 12375 (15% bonus not 12.5) so figure 8045 after taxes and yeah I know it isn't too close but i figure since i cant look until Sept that makes it more of ride it out 3 months more (Oct, Nov, Dec) or see what is avail.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    kohr-ah wrote: »
    I relooked it up, small correction - 12375 (15% bonus not 12.5) so figure 8045 after taxes and yeah I know it isn't too close but i figure since i cant look until Sept that makes it more of ride it out 3 months more (Oct, Nov, Dec) or see what is avail.

Ahhh missed the part about Sept... That definitely makes it a tougher decision then. I think I would leave if I saw a good opportunity elsewhere but it would be tough.
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would stay, reason being.
    Bonus - will help you and your family financially to pay of your debt.
    Job duration - you can tell your future employer that you are looking because your job might collapse and since you have been there for 2 years already, this will look good for future employers as a steady person.
    New positions will always be there - do not rush, do the math, what will help you long run!