Options

Good Network+ book

Special_k21Special_k21 Member Posts: 155
Hey all! I am kinda getting ahead of myself here. I still have to take my A+ OS test but I was searching Amazon for a network+ book. I am seeing 2 possibilities here. There is the Network+ Training Guide by Mike Hardwood or the Network+ All-In-One by Mike Myers. I have been using the Mike Myers A+ book and really do like it. Should I stick with it? I would appreciate any help!

Comments

• Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'll take the Mike Meyers book - I like the way he puts things across.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Meyers's All-in-One is the only exam guide that I used for my Net+ study.

I too like his style. Just study the book the way that he recommends. It should take where you want to go.

Good luck!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    LexxdymondzLexxdymondz Member Posts: 356
    You should also look at the Sybex Network+ book by David Groth. Definately a good read in my opinion. I've heard that the Mike Myers Net+ book lacked a little compared to his A+ book.
  • Options
    Thank you all for your input. I think I will go with the Mike Meyers All-In-One. I also try not to limit myself to one source. I think I will still look at others as well!
  • Options
    jlambertjlambert Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Another good choice is the Network+ Exam Cram 2. I'm using it and it is excellent. All of the errata on the website has been fixed in the current printings on shelfs and I myself have found no errors in the text. The practice questions at the end of the chapters are nice to and the chapters are fairly easy to understand.

my 2 cents icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Thanx for your 2 cents. Always appreciated! Headed to Barned and Noble today to check them all out!
  • Options
    MeiraleahMeiraleah Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've got Scott Mueller's Upgrading and Repairing PCs....a book NEVER mentioned on this forum. Am I way off base???
  • Options
    seth223ukseth223uk Member Posts: 158
    all knowledge is gud knowledge icon_lol.gif
    Cheating - the act of swindling by some fraudulent scheme ' that book is a fraud '
  • Options
    KingKKingK Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've got Scott Mueller's Upgrading and Repairing PCs....a book NEVER mentioned on this forum. Am I way off base???

VERY good book. However, it goes a bit into more detail on most subjects than one would need for the A+.

I supposse by using the objectives from the CompTia site and that book, you could do it.

But the ExamCram books, etc offer just what you need for the A+ and offeres practice questiosn etc.

Upgrading and Repairing PC's is a lab manual of sorts (and a good book to have around!).
  • Options
    The Upgrading and Repairing PCs is a very good book. When I took a hardware class in college, we used that book. It is black and purple right? Huge book! haha
    I did learn a lot with that one.
    I also hear that the exam cram books are great, but at the same time, people keep saying that those questions are nothing like the ones you find on the actual tests. So what is the point of the examcram questions?
  • Options
    KingKKingK Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The Upgrading and Repairing PCs is a very good book. When I took a hardware class in college, we used that book. It is black and purple right? Huge book! haha
    I did learn a lot with that one.

Yeah we used it for two different courses at school. We called it "The Bible."

I used it the other day, this person was getting a certain windows error message on the ol blue screen o'death.

I thoguth of all kindsa stuff, turned out to be a memory issue, according to the book.
    I also hear that the exam cram books are great, but at the same time, people keep saying that those questions are nothing like the ones you find on the actual tests. So what is the point of the examcram questions?

Interesting point. Im not using the Exam Cram for the Net Plus, though I do have the NT version and 2nd edtion of the A+ exam cram's.

We used the Exam Cram along with the Upgrading and Repairing PC's and then a CoursePrep book called "A+ guide to Maintaining and Upgrading PC's."

The Course Prep was probably the best out of the 3, came with a CD with practice tests and had a practice test at the end of the book.

However, even though the questions in the exam cram arent the same, maybe they will help in getting in the mode of answering questions.

Seems to be the best help for me in studying for the test is taking practices tests. THough some of them online are a bit odd.

The practice test for Net+ on this site seems to be the best out their. I keep taking it over and over and I've been getting around 90-95% each time.

I also made a rather large doc. file that has charts, info and comparisons of different protocols, addressing and phsyical alyer standards.

I found that helped out alot to, especially when you can see the differences right there.