Advice

harlyonharlyon Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
i am a newbie who is interested in changing career.i am interested in the help desk role and was advised by a few persons that i wont make good bucks from it.i really like that path.
what advice can i get from this forum on the help desk path.,can i switch on to other roles later?
what exams should i do
i need guidance guys

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    You won't get rich, that's for sure. What do you consider "good bucks"?
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    No big bucks in the help desk role, but it is a stepping stone to big bucks later on.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    You're interested in help desk? what? Whats going on in here...
    meh
  • BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Well if that's what you like, go for it. You wont get rich on the help desk, but it's considered the entry level for any IT job, so you can figure out what you like and move up from there if you want. What is it about the help desk that you like, system troubleshooting, working with people, etc?
  • Codeman6669Codeman6669 Member Posts: 227
    You wont make a lot of money starting out, but give yourself some time to build experience and get some certifications and the IT field has a very high ceiling for income depending which direction you go. But you gotta earn your way there, and experience is really a huge part of it.

Oh also, if your a personable person to work with while network/computer problems are occurring then you will go much further then the person that gets mad when things don't work. If you don't enjoy having problems (network/pc) then this isn't for you. But if you view it as a challenge, and a opportunity to learn something, then get on the certs, and start making yourself a valuable asset
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Help desk is a good way to get your foot into the door. I think tend to think of career changes like climbing mountains. You can scale your way up a mountain and then later decide that this is not the mountain that you desire to see the top of, and so you make your way to another mountain. You cannot start off on the new mountain where you left off on the other - you must start at a base point. However you do still have the climbing experience from your other journey that can help you make your way up faster.

Help desk is a good start and if you work hard and play the IT game right you will move up. A lot of senior IT staff started at a help desk so you can definitely branch on past it.
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Do whatever makes you happy, whether it's help desk or scrubbing toilets.

And also, you can make decent money in certain help desk environments. It's just probably the majority you won't make much, but you shouldn't be chasing money anyway. And who knows, maybe you'll do that for a while then want to do something else.
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    markulous wrote: »

And also, you can make decent money in certain help desk environments. It's just probably the majority you won't make much, but you shouldn't be chasing money anyway. And who knows, maybe you'll do that for a while then want to do something else.

Markulous is right about the pay. Our senior guys here make 50kish a year for help desk.
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I know some help desk guys that make much more than that. Typically, they are doing root cause analysis, working on servers/networking equipment, and not dealing with end users though.
  • Codeman6669Codeman6669 Member Posts: 227
    markulous wrote: »

True i do networking because i enjoy it. But $$$ IS my motivation.

and im good at what i do. Just a thought :P