70-680 Advice?

maelstrom3530maelstrom3530 Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
Greetings!

I have a few years in desktop support for a large enterprise running Windows 7. I never bothered with certifications (other than A+) until there were some major (not good) changes at my job. I decieded that I had better start making some moves, so I got my Net+, Sec+ and then my CCNA: R&S.

Now things at my job are shifting back into what appears to be a more favorable situation for me. So I decided to start on some Microsoft certs. And being that I do desktop support for Windows 7, I found it only fitting to get the MCSA: Windows 7.

tl;dr:

I've never taken a Microsft exam before. I've heard horror stories about strange/off-the-wall questions and even questions on topics that aren't in the study material. How much of this is true? Just fishing for some advice here.

Thanks!

[My current path is MCSA: Win7, MCSA: Win8.1, then MCSA/E: Server 2012. I feel like obtaining the MCSA: Win7 is somewhat urgent, as it should make my resume shine a little brighter when it comes to some upcoming promotions.]
2015 Goals: [X] ICND2 [X]70-680 [X]70-685 [X]70-640
2016 Goals: [X]70-410 [X]70-411
2017 Goals: [X]70-412
2018 Goals: [_]70-697 [_]70-698

Comments

• DomesticDomestic Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You'll certainly notice that MS exams are different to CompTia ones in terms of how long a lot of the questions are and also the fact that MS seems to use their exams as a form of promotion for the newest features of their operating systems/software.

For MCSA level exams, neither the 70-680 or 685 are considered easy. I found the 685 tougher than the 680 but other people had the opposite experience. As far as questions on topics that are not in the study material goes, I have never experienced that and to the best of my knowledge it does not occur. The topics are quite broad though so you do need to have at least the fundamentals on a lot of stuff to be prepared properly.

Don't be put off by the whining some of us do here, if you passed the CCNA you should be confident about the Win7 exams and I wish you the best of luck.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am going for the 70-680 as my job requires it by the end of the year. You do get your MCTS just for passing this exam and you get your MCP qualification because this is a professional level exam. There are an ok amount of materials for this test. Look into Professor Messer for his free video course. Also, Amazon has some cheap books for this test if you buy them used. Also, look into Boson practice lab bundle with practice tests. They are good quality simulated labs. They had a 25% off promotion a few days ago. Not sure if it is still valid but doesn't hurt to look. Good luck man! Let's hope we both pass.
  • BucklesBuckles Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Greetings!

I have a few years in desktop support for a large enterprise running Windows 7. I never bothered with certifications (other than A+) until there were some major (not good) changes at my job. I decided that I had better start making some moves, so I got my Net+, Sec+ and then my CCNA: R&S.

Now things at my job are shifting back into what appears to be a more favourable situation for me. So I decided to start on some Microsoft certs. And being that I do desktop support for Windows 7, I found it only fitting to get the MCSA: Windows 7.

tl;dr:

I've never taken a Microsft exam before. I've heard horror stories about strange/off-the-wall questions and even questions on topics that aren't in the study material. How much of this is true? Just fishing for some advice here.

Thanks!

[My current path is MCSA: Win7, MCSA: Win8.1, then MCSA/E: Server 2012. I feel like obtaining the MCSA: Win7 is somewhat urgent, as it should make my resume shine a little brighter when it comes to some upcoming promotions.]

Honestly, steer clear of 8.1 if you can. It's in a way what Vista is to W7. I know that might seem a bit irrational but I foresee many Enterprises skipping 8.1 and going straight to 10. By all means, do your W7 Certs. I've just done mine and I think it will stay a Staple in a lot of organisations much like XP was but if there was another Cert I was going to do, I'd head straight for 10 and get my hands on a copy as soon as it's out.

Good luck with the 680 and 685. I found the 680 easier than the 685 for whatever reasons... I still regard them as difficult but with the right prep and a smart study plan, you'll be fine.
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hello and welcome to the forum. I recently passed the MCTS 70-680 exam. Let me tell you, it was no joke. I used the official training materials and the Microsoft Press book, not to mention several other resources. Quite frankly, I found the exam to be very difficult. Just make sure you study really hard for the exam. I am currently studying for the 70-685 exam and will report back later as to whether or not I felt it was better or worse than the 70-680 exam.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • maelstrom3530maelstrom3530 Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone, and congrats on your recent pass Stryder.

I've scheduled the 70-680 exam for mid-August. I'm running through section 2 of the Messer videos. Its good stuff. I've been labbing too. So far so good. I just hope the exam itself is as straight-forward as the Cisco material.

icon_study.gif
    2015 Goals: [X] ICND2 [X]70-680 [X]70-685 [X]70-640
    2016 Goals: [X]70-410 [X]70-411
    2017 Goals: [X]70-412
    2018 Goals: [_]70-697 [_]70-698