Failed my 1st attempt @ N10-006 *strong first post lol*

thewiz8807thewiz8807 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
Greetings all, glad to join this community.

WELP! Failed my N10-006 first attempt. Got a 680/900 - not so good.

Methods employed leading up to the test:

-Todd Lammle N10-005 Book bought and read start to finish, didn't do ALL of the post chapter reviews and quizzes
-Professor Messer N10-005 video playlist watched
-Professor Messer N10-006 notes printed out
-Prof. Messer N10-006 video playlist watched and notes written on printed out notes plus some additional pages of notes (32 pages)
-Reviewed total notes like 4 times
-Tons of practice tests

Not going to lie, I was pretty upset about not passing, especially since every1 in the world knows I took the test today. Now I have to explain to all of them about how I didn't pass when they ask about it.

Plan of attack for next attempt:

I'm not going to attempt the N10-006, I'm going to take a shot @ the N10-005 as I heard it covers a decent amount of information LESS than the n10-006.

I actually went to CompTIA's website and printed out the objectives for the N10-005 and plan to follow that to the damn tee. Also printed out Prof. Messer's N10-005 notes, and will watch his videos and scribe personal notes onto his notes. I will also go back over Todd Lammle's book in sync with chapters of Prof. Messer videos covered for the day.

Hopefully I can keep the reading, videos, and notes in sync with each other daily while adhering to the CompTIA objective list.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated ie. Practice Test software, websites, maybe some Lab Sims....I'm all ears.

Doesn't feel good losing out on $277.00

Also, if anyone knows of any discounts I could nab please do let me know. Best of luck to all of you!
Goals: Network+ (Done) -> CCNA: R&S (Done) -> CCNA: Security (Done) -> Security+ (Done) -> ITIL v3 Foundation (Done) -> CASP (Done) -> CCNP: R/S (In Progress) -> CCNP: Collaboration -> CCSK -> CCSP -> CISSP

Comments

• nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
    DO NOT let the setback freak you out!

I just sat for the N10-005 and I was super surprised by the complexity of the simulations. They weren't the hardest things in the world once I got a feel for what the tester was looking for in a response, but there's a learning curve on getting familiar with the interface that they use. Just keep plugging away. I loved the Professor Messer videos. He briefly covers everything that you'll need to know.

Also, I found quizlet REALLY helpful. It won't recreate the simulation environment, but it will quiz the heck out of you on the terms and technologies so if you're weak on the sims, you'll be STRONG on the multiple choice!
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
    "I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The N10-005 is a cake-walk.
    I passed (this year) using Professor Messer, and doing pratice questions on Quizlet.
    (No books, no Reading)

You made things difficult on yourself when you crossed over into the N10-006 (probably should have stuck with the N10-005 :).

Going forward:
    ~Throw out the n10-006 material; you are Now prepping for the n10-005 :]
    ~Study the Messer Course Notes diligently. if you can rewrite the information (from memory), then you know you have it down.
    ~Head over to Quizlet. Do a search for "n10-005", and hammer away. FLAG the slides that give you trouble for futher review:
    Here's a decent one -> https://quizlet.com/PazuzuRises
    ~i wouldn't bother re-reading your book, Just do Quizlet (but up to you).
    ~Help yourself out: Do you Fully Understand basic Subnetting?? if not, google "danscourses magic number" and watch the videos.
    ~Help yourself out: Do a google image-search for "fiber connectors". be able to Physically identify the different types.
    ~You should already be aware that ProfMesser offers a free 10% discount, right??
    ~Lastly... do NOT tell people when you reschedule the test. You can tell them AFTER you pass.

I expect to see another Post from you in 21 days (or less); saying that you PASSED :]
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Did the printout offer any good info on areas you struggled on? Which questions do you feel you struggled on? You studied good resources, so I'd have to defer to you and what your thoughts were on the exam since I am not sure what your strengths and weaknesses are.
  • TR4V1STYTR4V1STY Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the tip on Quizlet guys, these flashcards are awesome. I've been using WGU's uCertify material along with Prof. Messer videos. I'm hitting like 80% on the ucertify practice tests, but I'm not feeling very confident.

I seem to be having trouble with IPsec tunnels, IGPs vs EGPs, memorizing speeds/ranges of cabling/wifi, and more.

Getting ready to sit for the N-006 later this month. I'm scared. I'll let 'yall know how it goes.
  • sheikysheiky Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear about the first attempt. You will definitely pass this time.

I got a question to be asked to ALL who completed N+. Maybe have to create a new thread.!
    I know that 005 is going to retire due Aug 2015. Can I study and do the N10-006 or do N10-005..? I heard from other threads that 5 version materials and exam seems to be easy than 006.

Please guide..!
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Everybody fails something at some point. Look at the areas you missed questions in and rehash that information.
  • Codeman6669Codeman6669 Member Posts: 227
    Dude is walking up in here all sad, as if successful people never failed.
  • MaktoobMaktoob Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took the N10-06 on Tuesday and got a 675/720. I used uCertify through WGU exclusively and was testing 90%+ on the three practice tests. I would not rely on uCertify to get you through the test at all. Their material focuses a lot of attention on things that I didn't see on the test, and didn't cover other topics in the same depth (e.g. telephony).
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Was this the first time you have sat for a commercial test? If so, I'll tell you many, many people whether they admit to it or not, fail the first time. Its not hard, nothing feels familiar from the check in to the exam style itself. Fortunately, its easier in time. Study up, know what type of questions you missed and why and you'll breeze through the next exam no problem. - b/eads
  • TheComputerPlumberTheComputerPlumber Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You will pass dont worry! I failed two test from Comptia before. I passed my Net+ on the first try. I used Todd Lammle N10-005 Study Guide second edition, Professor Messer N10-005 videos and Train Signal videos. I did the quizes inside Lammle book and some of the written excersizes not all of them though plus I used Lammles Network+ Review test. I studied off and on for a long time then decided one day (two weeks ago) oh screw it I am gonna go take the test and I did that same day after being stressed out and arriving at the testing center I was feeling confident. I didn't not do any last minute studying because I did not want my thoughts fluttering with the wrong answers by me getting things mixed up. I did stress on a couple of the simulation questions. Once I answered my final question and hit next and did the survey I saw congratulations you passed on the screen. I was so stoked! You can do it!!!!
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    icon_thumright.gif I know you will pass next time you were very close .
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Goteki54Goteki54 Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
    thewiz8807 wrote: »
    Greetings all, glad to join this community.

WELP! Failed my N10-006 first attempt. Got a 680/900 - not so good.

Methods employed leading up to the test:

-Todd Lammle N10-005 Book bought and read start to finish, didn't do ALL of the post chapter reviews and quizzes
    -Professor Messer N10-005 video playlist watched
    -Professor Messer N10-006 notes printed out
    -Prof. Messer N10-006 video playlist watched and notes written on printed out notes plus some additional pages of notes (32 pages)
    -Reviewed total notes like 4 times
    -Tons of practice tests

Not going to lie, I was pretty upset about not passing, especially since every1 in the world knows I took the test today. Now I have to explain to all of them about how I didn't pass when they ask about it.

Plan of attack for next attempt:

I'm not going to attempt the N10-006, I'm going to take a shot @ the N10-005 as I heard it covers a decent amount of information LESS than the n10-006.

I actually went to CompTIA's website and printed out the objectives for the N10-005 and plan to follow that to the damn tee. Also printed out Prof. Messer's N10-005 notes, and will watch his videos and scribe personal notes onto his notes. I will also go back over Todd Lammle's book in sync with chapters of Prof. Messer videos covered for the day.

Hopefully I can keep the reading, videos, and notes in sync with each other daily while adhering to the CompTIA objective list.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated ie. Practice Test software, websites, maybe some Lab Sims....I'm all ears.

Doesn't feel good losing out on $277.00

Also, if anyone knows of any discounts I could nab please do let me know. Best of luck to all of you!

I think that is where you messed up at. The N10-006 is the new Net+ exam which covers different topics then what is on the 005 exam. When you study for the exam again, you should only use the comptia objectives related to the exact exam you are taking. Of course there was stuff on the N10-006 exam that Messer didn't cover in the N10-005 video. Oh well what's done is done. The N10-005 exam expires I believe the first of august. Follow the 005 objectives only and stick only with the Messer 005 videos and notes. I know losing the $277 hurts right now, but think of it as an investment and money that you will get back down the road. You'll be alright!icon_cool.gif
    CompTIA A+, Network+, Security +., SSCP
    Goteki54 wrote: »
    The N10-005 exam expires I believe the first of august. Follow the 005 objectives only and stick only with the Messer 005 videos and notes. I know losing the $277 hurts right now, but think of it as an investment and money that you will get back down the road. You'll be alright!icon_cool.gif

Exam expires August 31st.
    PLENTY of time :]
    (and use the messer coupon; save an additional 10%)
  • thewiz8807thewiz8807 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sorry for the late response, I completely forgot I made this thread. Thank you all for the tips, I'm definitely utilizing Quizlets, I got a hold of a 500+ questions review.

Right now I'm covering material for the N10-005 based on CompTIA's Exam outline on their website. I'm reading the material and then watching the related Prof. Messer videos. Finishing up all of that tomorrow, then from then on out it's going to be Quizlet time.

All of this stuff is basically review for me. I guess half way preparing for the N10-006 really helped me out since it covers a lot more material than the 005.

Is there a way I can set up Quizlets to hide the answers to the questions?

beads wrote: »
    Was this the first time you have sat for a commercial test? If so, I'll tell you many, many people whether they admit to it or not, fail the first time. Its not hard, nothing feels familiar from the check in to the exam style itself. Fortunately, its easier in time. Study up, know what type of questions you missed and why and you'll breeze through the next exam no problem. - b/eads

Yeah, everything was new to me.
    Goals: Network+ (Done) -> CCNA: R&S (Done) -> CCNA: Security (Done) -> Security+ (Done) -> ITIL v3 Foundation (Done) -> CASP (Done) -> CCNP: R/S (In Progress) -> CCNP: Collaboration -> CCSK -> CCSP -> CISSP
    thewiz8807 wrote: »
    Is there a way I can set up Quizlets to hide the answers to the questions?

Not that i'm aware of.
    Instead, i just reviewed them Over & Over until i KNEW the answer before i finished the question :]

Don't forget to use the "STAR" feature to Flag the difficult flashcards; Then you can review Just the ones you flagged.