Default Behavior: VTP Mode Server

dppagcdppagc Member Posts: 293
I understand that the default mode for switches is vtp mode server.
In that case, if two or more switches are connected then who will "listen" to whom?

Comments

• esr0159esr0159 Member Posts: 80 ■□□□□□□□□□
    it will listen/follow the one with a higher revision number
    CCNP R&S | Planning to hit IE R&S or JNCIA or Security path|
  • dppagcdppagc Member Posts: 293
    assume both switches are new with same revision number and null domain name.
    what happens?
  • MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think it will be based on who gets the first VLAN change, As soon as one of them gets a change, the other one will adopt it. Not 100% sure, though, I'm at work and can't lab it up, which is what I would recommend you do.
  • azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dppagc wrote: »
    assume both switches are new with same revision number and null domain name.
    what happens?

If SW1 makes a change, revision number increments, SW2 receives the change and adopts it (rev=1)
    If SW2 then makes a change, revision number increments, SW1 receives the change and adopts it (rev=2)

As both are in mode=server, both are capable of making or adopting changes depending on the revision number received.
  • dppagcdppagc Member Posts: 293
    When switches are at their factory default settings, the vtp status is off or is it server?
  • MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dppagc wrote: »
    When switches are at their factory default settings, the vtp status is off or is it server?

Server is the default
  • azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Agreed, mode=server is the default, but it doesn't mean Cisco won't change it on new IOS releases in the future (many default settings have changed in the past)...it always pays to check