Form Factor - LPX

QuestionTimeQuestionTime Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
Does all LPX MOBO not coming with PS/2 ports ?
The better a man is , the more mistakes he will make . Peter Drucker!

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Hardware_Software/2005/motherboard_form_factors.asp
    LPX
    White ATX is the most well-known and used form factor, there is also a non-standard proprietary form factor which falls under the name of LPX, and Mini-LPX. The LPX form factor is found in low-profile cases (desktop model as opposed to a tower or mini-tower) with a riser card arrangement for expansion cards where expansion boards run parallel to the motherboard. While this allows for smaller cases it also limits the number of expansion slots available. Most LPX motherboards have sound and video integrated onto the motherboard. While this can make for a low-cost and space saving product they are generally difficult to repair due to a lack of space and overall non-standardization. The LPX form factor is not suited to upgrading and offer poor cooling.

And here:
    http://www.pcguide.com/ref/mbsys/mobo/formLPX-c.html

http://www.computerhope.com/help/mb.htm
    LPX (9.00" wide x 13.00" deep) Developed by Western Digital when making motherboards, which was duplicated by many other manufacturers and is no longer made by Western Digital.

The LPX motherboard riser card contains all of the expansion slots.
    Placement of the video, parallel, two serial and PS/2 connections have changed locations.

I thought they did have PS/2 and it appears they can. It's been a long while since I've seen some but yes, some do and some don't.

HTH
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • QuestionTimeQuestionTime Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Plantwiz. Thankx for your response.

Is there anyway to identify from a diagram wheather its a AT or Baby AT MOBO other then by its dimension and both AT and Baby AT MOBO does not come with PS/2 port ?

Ways to Identify between LPX and NLX
    LPX and NLX - The only difference is they have raiser card.
    LPX - The Raiser card located in the middle of the MOBO
    NLX - The Raiser Card located on the side of the MOBO
    Both LPX and NLX expension slots will be placed horizontally.

Is that Correct ?
    Plantwiz. Thankx for your response.

Is there anyway to identify from a diagram wheather its a AT or Baby AT MOBO other then by its dimension and both AT and Baby AT MOBO does not come with PS/2 port ?

Ways to Identify between LPX and NLX
    LPX and NLX - The only difference is they have raiser card.
    LPX - The Raiser card located in the middle of the MOBO
    NLX - The Raiser Card located on the side of the MOBO
    Both LPX and NLX expension slots will be placed horizontally.

Is that Correct ?

Yes there are some other helpful differences. Check through the links I posted above first, because much of the tips can be found there.

Just real quick,
    some of the differnces you may find will be the way the board is orinated as well as the way the PS2 boards are stacked or placed side by side.

If you really want to get a better handle, search some of the archives on some of the long-time Mobo MFG's like Intel, Compaq (history), Western Digital, Supermicro, etc... and see if you can view some images to help clear up some of the wording. While it's easy enough to comprehend the words....an image is worth a thousand words.

If you still need more, let me know I just am a little short on time to re-type a bunch of stuff already out there. :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• QuestionTimeQuestionTime Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you very much for your responding. I am feeling much confortable to identitfy the type of Form Factors.

Right now I am just starting to study from Chapter 1 - MOBO.
    Its a bit sticky on identify the type of Form Factors.

how often that Form factors questions appear on the exam ? Any idea ? Coz I am still worrying about if they put a diagram up. I was unable to tell wheather is XT/AT/Baby AT/ATX/LPX/NLX.
    Thank you very much for your responding. I am feeling much confortable to identitfy the type of Form Factors.

Right now I am just starting to study from Chapter 1 - MOBO.
    Its a bit sticky on identify the type of Form Factors.

how often that Form factors questions appear on the exam ? Any idea ? Coz I am still worrying about if they put a diagram up. I was unable to tell wheather is XT/AT/Baby AT/ATX/LPX/NLX.

Relax. :)

Don't spend all your time on this area. Spend some time if it is new to you, but certainly get through your book before you worry too much about it. Likely worst case....you could see 10-20 questions. Probably less then 5, but there is NO way to know what your exam will have.

Spend another day or so and start moving through the rest of your book. COme back and review it and spend some more time on it later, you'll probably be surprised at how much more you know the second time through.
    Plantwiz
    _____