Why do recruiters do this?

TechnoracerTechnoracer Member Posts: 105 ■■■□□□□□□□
I keep getting calls from recruiters, and typically they ask a few questions, and ask for my resume, but they never follow up. Just when I get my hopes up of possibly landing, at least, a contract job they stay silent. Should I call them back and find out what's going on, or should I keep sending my resume all over the internet? I'm sure this is a common thing in this field and economy, but there has to be a way to get an edge, and land real interviews, instead of just a phone screening. Any of you have experience with this??

Comments

• JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Unfortunately that is the norm in the recruiter world. From my experience it's one of three things:

1. The recruiter submitted you and the hiring manager/company passed and the recruiter discards you like yesterdays trash because you're not going to get them paid and no longer worth their effort.
    2. The recruiter submits you and the company is non-responsive and the recruiter doesn't think "oh hey I should let this person know I havent heard anything".
    3. The recruiter is super busy handling a lot of people for a lot of positions and they are poorly organized and can't keep up with who they need to follow-up with.

I've had all three situations with number 2 being most common. I've had number 1 happen where I've followed up like two to four weeks later on ones that I myself didn't feel like I was the best fit for and was told "oh yea sorry, they went with other candidates". And then I've had ones that had too much going on and were just slow to get back or didn't contact me and I contact them and they're like "oh yea I'm still working on that, sorry I've been busy".
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've had the same happen to me. Interviewed with a recruiter who said he had a few jobs lined up for me. He also mentioned that he'd revise and send me a copy of my updated resume that was targeting those positions. He said I'd have it in about 15 minutes.

Never heard back from him again.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    man....i've had this happen way too many times. That's why i dont rely on recruiters. Every role I've gotten an offer for, I've gotten on my on. I've gotten some interviews through recruiters, but they fall off the map shortly after when i'm trying to find out an update.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    1. The recruiter submitted you and the hiring manager/company passed and the recruiter discards you like yesterdays trash because you're not going to get them paid and no longer worth their effort.

I'd say this is probably the case 90% of the time. They are trying to fill a position. If your resume doesn't get picked by the employer nothing much they can do with you after that.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I'd say this is probably the case 90% of the time. They are trying to fill a position. If your resume doesn't get picked by the employer nothing much they can do with you after that.

I disagree there. It's called networking. If they've established a positive rapport with me and then they do have a hot new role to fill and they reach out to me, I'll listen. If they do the afore mentioned and blow me off and don't bother to send a 30 second email saying the company passed, I won't give them the time of day, AND I will proceed to spread the word to all of my contacts not to work with their company. Taking 30 seconds to type an email will go a long way to keep from getting a bad rep.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You just have to keep in mind the recruiter is working for the company. They don't work for you. The higher level positions I can see the keeping a network with, but if you are filling lower level positions, not too be too harsh, the reality is these people are a dime a dozen. These are also the people who seem to have the most trouble with recruiters. So I can see the how and why it happens. I still think it's rude to not at least follow though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • ScrawnyRonnieScrawnyRonnie Member Posts: 112
    I had the same thing happen. One guy called and asked if I had Secret Clearance and upon my response ("no") he said he would ask whoever to get an Interim Clearance process started. I never heard from him again.
    :lol:
  • boobobobobobboobobobobob Member Posts: 118
    Recruiters also make commission on people they place, I think this has a big impact on which potential candidates they want to invest their time into. There's just a better ROI for recruiters to target people at the CCNP+ range.
  • bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Except it doesn't change even then (unless I'm just an odd case). I still get #1 a lot.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Most cases mine has been #1 also.

More recently I have actually had 3 recruiters (Out of about 20) that keep in touch with me and tell me "Hey we got you to the hiring manager and they were looking for someone with a bit more experience in xyz" or "they went with someone else" or something and told me they would let me know when something comes up otherwise to bug them once every 2 weeks if I hear nothing.
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Is the rule of thumb usually to wait a week before following up with the recruiter after you talked to them and sent your resume?
  • LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Had a few recruiters do any/all of the 3 things above.

Had another recruiter that invited me over for a chat for a job that was outside my capabilities/experience range, even though I informed her the job is a little beyond me.

She still took the time to let me know the company decided they need someone with more experience.

Guess where I'm going if I decide to work with a recruiter again...
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Yup..I have had the same experience...
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    I had a lot of the aforementioned issues above, but I haven't had it with the recruiter I've been working with. They drove down an hour to meet with me after receiving my resume. There were a few companies that they wanted to send me to, but I didn't want to drive an hour and a half for work nor did I really want to work in Benton Harbor.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Your best bet? Find a recruiter to do the search for you. You tell them what you can/will do, how much, and where. They do the search and reach back once they find something. I had a friend do this and that was how she got to Texas where she wanted to be.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Dealt with a great recruiter about a decade ago that got me placed at a telco. I was given his # by an associate, I called him, and he asked to meet. We discussed my experience, my interests, and what he could offer. He contacted me about several positions that I wasn't interested in until the NOC role came up. We continued to stay in touch long after I had been placed. Met up for lunch a few times - cool guy.

Talked to plenty of recruiters since then, but it was a waste of time. I only got interviews for positions that I applied for with the company directly.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yikes

I actually talked to a recruiter once and he wanted me to lie on my resume about my experience with certain programs and knowledge. I refused
  • CodyyCodyy Member Posts: 223 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Another one to add: The company the recruiter works for does not have the contract and are just testing the waters in case they do get it. I see "this position is contingent upon award of contract" quite often, safe to say if they are not awarded the contract you'll never hear from them again.
  • InfoTech92InfoTech92 Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Jasiono wrote: »
    Yikes

I actually talked to a recruiter once and he wanted me to lie on my resume about my experience with certain programs and knowledge. I refused

LMAO wow, what an idiot. I actually had a recruiter say to me once "If you see a job posting you like, tell me about it! I'll call the company for you". I laughed and was like "why wouldn't I just apply directly to that job posting?" Safe to say I never heard back ;]. Trying to get me to do all the work for him to earn his money, LOL.
  • bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    Codyy wrote: »
    Another one to add: The company the recruiter works for does not have the contract and are just testing the waters in case they do get it. I see "this position is contingent upon award of contract" quite often, safe to say if they are not awarded the contract you'll never hear from them again.

Don't you hate spending 20 minutes applying for a job just to get that small text at the bottom, "this position is contingent upon award of contract."

I don't even bother applying for those because the incumbents usually don't leave. Obviously, this is DoD contracts I am talking about.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Jasiono wrote: »
    Yikes

If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin' :D
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • ImThe0neImThe0ne Member Posts: 143
    I have had really good luck with recruiters from one specific company (not sure if we are allowed to name drop). You will always have recruiters that do it though, more so with the helpdesk, desktop support, printer support, roles. Mine were engineering roles and panned out well.
  • Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I no longer deal with 3rd party recruiters. I will only apply directly to a company. That said, hoping to stay where I am for quite some time, too much fun and learning to be had.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My recruiting days are pretty much over. I built up rapport with one gal and she was great. She had industry experience before going into recruiting, she lasted about two years and then became a director of HR over at a company. That was my last connection, it's over. Out of 100's of recruiters I can count on one hand the decent ones.

With my experience and skills I just go straight to the companies, works out much better now.

If by chance you do land a good recruiter, make sure to do your part to maintain that relationship. They are worth their weight in gold especially if you don't have to many skills.