MCTS study help

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior MemberPosts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
So my new job I have is requiring me to obtain my MCTS 70-680 within 6 months of hire. With that said, I purchased the Microsoft press book last night after work and I am now reviewing the Professor Messer video course. With those 2 pieces of study material, do you believe that those materials should work for passing the exam? How hard is the test also if anyone can answer.

Comments

• DomesticDomestic Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    As you can probably tell from the other threads in this subforum the 70 680 is not considered an easy exam by MCSA standards. To answer your question on whether those two pieces of study material will be sufficient I would say that those two pieces are a very good start. By watching all of the Messer videos you ensure that none of the terms or material in the exam will be foreign to you. Considering your job requires you to pass this exam I assume you are already working with a lot of the Windows 7 stuff that exists in the exam so that will help.

A lot of people like to use a practice question service after they are done all the reading/watching of videos, I have never used one of these services so maybe someone who has could recommend one.
  • BucklesBuckles Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For me personally, the best value for money that included some good training was uCertify. They have a load of questions and a solid amount of training material. Please note that I only used this for my 685, not the 680. For the 680, I used Messer, the Microsoft Press Test Kit (CD with four exams) and actually, these two: Practice Quiz: Free Exam Prep, Review and Practice Tests

MCTS 70-680 Practice Exam

Both are free and I felt their content was pretty much on point. Combine this with Messer's free videos, the MS Books for more in depth reading and these exam questions- I feel you'll be okay!

Also- if you feel it would be helpful- do some labbing to familiarise yourself with the technologies in in W7. Create a snapshot point so you can revert if you break something ;) ...

I feel that the 680 is a bit less technical and a bit more concept based (if that makes sense) ... Feel free to ask us anything if you need any help.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Has anyone used the Boson practice labs for the 70-680 exam? I purchased them and I want to know if these are useful at all for taking the exam? I also purchased the Ex-Sim exams and hope that they are useful for the exam.
    Has anyone used the Boson practice labs for the 70-680 exam? I purchased them and I want to know if these are useful at all for taking the exam? I also purchased the Ex-Sim exams and hope that they are useful for the exam.

I used them but frankly, VMWare Labs on your own PC are better IMO. Unfortunately, they're well intended but but the training documentation fails to go into too much depth about what you're actually achieving.

The MS Techlabs are free and probably better.
    I just thought using these labs because I don't have enough "valid" Windows 7 licenses to use.
  • maelstrom3530maelstrom3530 Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You can use the Windows 7 evaluation version for all of the labs.
    2015 Goals: [X] ICND2 [X]70-680 [X]70-685 [X]70-640
    2016 Goals: [X]70-410 [X]70-411
    2017 Goals: [X]70-412
    2018 Goals: [_]70-697 [_]70-698
    You can use the Windows 7 evaluation version for all of the labs.

Maelstrom is right. You can use them for 30 days and then extend the evaluation again.

2k8 R2 can be extended out to something like 180 days.
  • maelstrom3530maelstrom3530 Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Looks like Microsoft took down the Win7 evaluation ISOs. You can still get them from torrent sites. Just be careful and know what you're doing!
    2015 Goals: [X] ICND2 [X]70-680 [X]70-685 [X]70-640
    2016 Goals: [X]70-410 [X]70-411
    2017 Goals: [X]70-412
    2018 Goals: [_]70-697 [_]70-698
  • David.allisonDavid.allison Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Note that both 70-680 and 70-685. covers a lot of server stuff. So if you have time take the Windows Server Admin Fundamentals MTA first to give you a good base to work from.
    I just don't think that taking another MTA exam will make any difference with this cert. Some server stuff is tested but this is a desktop OS related cert. I ended up going to my local library and got an MCTS 70-680 book that usually costs around $40 to buy it. I am reading this book now over the next few weeks and then start on doing some more labs. I have my exam booked for Oct 31st so I want to knock this out by that time and get this over with so I can start my CEH studies.
  • themanwholaughsthemanwholaughs Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Make sure you look at every objective and make notes around them and make sure you know the material and not to brain **** it. Look at the questions at the end of the book and fill those in as well etc. I wish you luck on your exam. :)