Renewal fee question

ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
Hey guys, quick question...

How to Renew Your GIAC Security Certification states:

"The certification maintenance fee is $399 due once every four years at the time of registration."

Am I reading it correctly that this fee is to be paid even if the renewal is done by passing another GIAC exam?

If so, I will have to let mine expire - not seeing myself paying $400 out of pocket for renewing a GSEC...
“You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
- discounted vouchers for certs

Comments

• Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    Imagine how those of us with more than one GIAC cert feel :/ Decisions, decisions....
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Do you think maintaining those creds is worth the cost?
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
  • docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you renew more than one in a year, it's $199 per cert or something like that.

I've been renewing all my GIAC certs, mostly for personal "pride" more than anything. I think most employers or HR keyword filters won't recognize most four-letter GIAC strings, but I respect SANS and GIAC enough that I don't mind keeping those certs afloat in my status. Other certifications I don't care as much about (like all three of my prior CCNAs). If you're at a certain level in your career where practically maintaining the active status on certain certifications won't make a difference in employment, the ROI is likely not worth it.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    I'm not at the point where I need to reup my certs (yet, anyway) but you get an updated set of materials with the purchase right? So looking at CISSP at $85/yr at three years (or forever if you're so inclined), GIAC is not too bad because there is no CISSP equivalent, but getting an updated set of materials for, lets say, GCWN or GCIH is worth the price of admission.
    If you renew by retaking the test or applying CPEs, you can opt to get a copy of the latest course materials as part of the renewal fee. But there's a gotcha - you have to pay the shipping fees (for me it's been about $20).
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Thanks for the responses, guys.

I'm gonna let my GSEC expire then.

GetCertified4Less
  • LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    May be a little late, but here is my recommendation, if you are still in the technical sector with less than 10 years experience, renewing once may seems to be a better deal. It prove to employers you are still upgrading yourself and keeping in touch with the latest trend. In addition, you will get free books upon ordering the renewal, which is somehow worth the renewal fee.

If you have more than 10 years experience, or had already climb the management ladder, then renewal may not ideal then.
  • twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Renew and get updated course material.
    Also mp3s of latest conference course.
    Courses have large amounts of information.
    Although, the prices of courses have reached a limit that I am not planning any further ones. It would be nice to deep dive into windows security, or even Linux security, but price is way too much if employer doesn't help.

I enjoy listening to Eric Cole. IMO it makes it worth the material cost of being to go thru course again in keeping cert current.

Although was hard motivation this 3rd time around. I am debating going GOLD this next time and writing a paper.
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Guess I'm lucky, the only GIAC cert I have (ISO27000) is expired... so no renewal fees for me. yay!
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    What's the value of renewing a cert? You passed the test once ==> you proved that you know the material.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

It's just like renewing any other cert - proving that the material is at least still somewhat fresh in your mind (perhaps with updated relevance).
  • BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The same reason certs have moved to a continuing education model. Technology changes so often what you were certified in 10 years ago is hardly relevant today. There's also the employers that require a person to have a certification for a certain job, so the cert needs to be renewed. I'd also point out that passing a test once doesn't mean you know the material anyway, it just means you were able to answer a small handful of questions about the material one day after cramming a ****. The certification test has no value in my opinion, the knowledge you learn when studying for it is what's valuable, and after 4 years that knowledge should be refreshed a bit.