RHCHA/RHCE 7 Book

kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
Anyone here take the new Red Hat 7 exams and use this book for reference?

RHCSA & RHCE Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7: Training and Exam Preparation Guide (EX200 and EX300), Third Edition: Asghar Ghori: 9781495148200: Amazon.com: Books

Was looking at another certification to add to the list, and this book looked promising.

Comments

• kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Let me add to my post. Has anyone used this book and been able to pass the new RHEL 7 exams for RHCSA/RHCE?
  • asummersasummers Member Posts: 157
    kiki162 wrote: »
    Let me add to my post. Has anyone used this book and been able to pass the new RHEL 7 exams for RHCSA/RHCE?

Sorry no.

But there does seem to be a distinct lack of RHEL7 based books.
  • brombulecbrombulec Member Posts: 186 ■■■□□□□□□□
    kiki162 wrote: »

Just use the official course book - It's more than enough for these exams.
  • asummersasummers Member Posts: 157
    brombulec wrote: »
    Just use the official course book - It's more than enough for these exams.

Do you have a link for the OP?
  • Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Material is light on the ground right now for RHCSA7. I've opted to subscribe to www.linuxacademy.com and impressed with it so far. I used their courses for Linux+ on udemy.com but their website is really worth the sub imo.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    I've been reviewing the Linux Bible 9th edition (just came out 2 months ago) and think its a great resource for RHCSA/RHCE v7. The author is a RedHat instructor and his previous version of the Linux Bible have been on point. The format is very well written and he provides a good explanation of the new features. Anything that's not covered in the exam, he will direct you to the RedHat website where the RedHat 7 administration guides are:

Linux Bible: Christopher Negus: 9781118999875: Amazon.com: Books

Also if you have access to Skillport/Books24x7 its in there catalog there as well.
  • sasnimrodsasnimrod Member Posts: 99 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Kinet1c wrote: »
    Material is light on the ground right now for RHCSA7. I've opted to subscribe to www.linuxacademy.com and impressed with it so far. I used their courses for Linux+ on udemy.com but their website is really worth the sub imo.

Does the RHCSA content on linuxacademy.com cover all of the material that one should know for the exam?

I used the site for my LPIC-1 studies and found it to be an excellent resource and I'm very interested in subscribing to the site once more.
  • Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    sasnimrod wrote: »
    Does the RHCSA content on linuxacademy.com cover all of the material that one should know for the exam?

I used the site for my LPIC-1 studies and found it to be an excellent resource and I'm very interested in subscribing to the site once more.

It appears to.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • BodanelBodanel Member Posts: 214 ■■■□□□□□□□
    First book in september.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0789754053?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Also Michael Jang will relese a new book in november but i hope to finish my exams until then
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    Kinet1c wrote: »

I agree on Linux Academy as well. Nothing but praise for this website and the content that they are delivering. I'm using it to study for my RHCSA.

Where was this type of content 10 years ago?
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    I don't own that book nor intend to. Judging from its table of contents, it skims through topics, adheres to objectives just in title and I doubt it's of any value if you are serious about passing the exam.
    I'd second what Jock said, linux academy is an awesome resource, it shouldn't be your only one though. Read related guides from Red Hat and pay attention to the syntax of configuration files. Linux academy labs are great and save a ton of time. So practice as much as you can.
    varelg wrote: »
    I don't own that book nor intend to. Judging from its table of contents, it skims through topics, adheres to objectives just in title and I doubt it's of any value if you are serious about passing the exam.
    I'd second what Jock said, linux academy is an awesome resource, it shouldn't be your only one though. Read related guides from Red Hat and pay attention to the syntax of configuration files. Linux academy labs are great and save a ton of time. So practice as much as you can.

I assume you're talking about the Linux Bible, I don't own it either I've been using a free subscription to a LMS. I have gone through the entire book and learned a lot from it as it does cover a significant portion of the topics for both RHCSA/RHCE exams but there are a few it did miss as I think it may have been sent to publishing too soon. Overall it was worth taking the time to read through it and pick up some tricks along the way.

For the portions that weren't covered, I'm going through the rough cut of Sander Van Gut's Red Hat RHCSA/RHCE 7 Cert Guide. So far I have to say his book is trumping the Linux Bible is terms of content.
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    No Verities, I was talking about Gori's book, not about Linux Bible.
  • kenrinkenrin Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Is the Jang book going to be any good? I went ahead and ordered the Sander Van one that gets released on 9/10. Not waiting until December even though I'll probably do the CCNA before the RHCSA.
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have just ordered the Ghori book I have the previous edition aswell enjoyed it :) will let you know what it is like reviews are good though
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The Sander Von * book has been on Safari's site for a bit now in the rough cuts section, it looks good but since I haven't taken the RHCSA I can't really compare.
    BlackBeret wrote: »
    The Sander Von * book has been on Safari's site for a bit now in the rough cuts section, it looks good but since I haven't taken the RHCSA I can't really compare.

I used the rough cut for my RHCSA studies and I would rate it as "OK" since it had a lot of typos. However, the actual published book is probably better than the rough cut.

Tangent: His RHCSA videos (also available on safari books) were much better because you could tell he put a lot of effort into them. The RHCE video course is another story...and not as forgiving; it's like he got kind of annoyed/tired of sitting in front of a camera all day which leads to just a text summary of exercises instead of him working them out as in the RHCSA videos.
  • BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thanks, I was planning on watching the videos just to get a rough overview of the differences in 7.
  • ohonabohonab Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you want to take preparation for RHCSA/RHCE 7 Certification, you can check udemy for video content. If you want to read books, you can check here for some best books of RHCSA/RHCE 7.