Options

Network + (N10-005) Study Materials?

sdhillon23sdhillon23 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Have my Network + exam scheduled on the 30th of this month, was wondering what extra study materials should I utilize to conquer this exam on my first try? Currently have my A+ certification, but lack experience in the IT realm.

This is what resources I am using as of right now:
  • Cybrary IT Videos
  • Mike Meyer's Passport book
  • Prof. Messer Course Notes

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I would download the objectives and start working through things I know and need to know.

Meyer's Passport is good, but his full text is better since you state you have limited experience (or pick up the Sybex text). Why are you taking the NET+ without much experience? What are your long-term goals? And do you have a home lab you can work with to gain a little more exposure to the topics being tested? I guess, why the rush to pickup the NET+ if you are limited on experience?

The exam is not difficult, it is geared toward candidates WITH experience, perhaps you may benefit by some extra time gained with hands-on volunteer projects or job-shadowing or such? Just wondering what your goals are?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    I had experience as an Network Tech Intern at my local hospital for six months , but sadly I lacked the qualification and certs needed to secure a job as a Tech. Hopefully by acquiring the Net + cert, I can hopefully land a job as a IT Tech. No I don't have a home lab, but I do have virtual machines installed on my Mac running XP and 7. I have the objectives printed and going over all of them in great detail using the videos and the book.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Well, VMs are nice to a point, particularly for user interfaces. However, I wonder how you are emulating the network part? How do you get yourself practice with routers and communication between several network devices? One can study the text and gain an understanding, but actually doing the work helps to anchor that understanding. If you have the ability to pickup some older (i.e. cheap) hardware to help you practice you may find this beneficial...otherwise look for a local computer group as there is bound to be one or a few folks in the group who just may let you log a few hours on their lab.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    You got a point there, I'll have to research on finding some routers and switches for cheap to get some hands on experience on networking. As of right now, I'm just getting an overview on a broad understanding for networks through the text.

Thanks Plantwiz for the suggestion.
  • Options
    JameswebJamesweb Member Posts: 144
    These are the 4 books I used personally to help me pass... Mike Meyers all in one book, Authorized Cert Guide from Pearson, exam cram and Mike Meyers passport book. I wanted to make sure I learned all I could from all angles. I also went through all of Prof. Messer's videos and did the voucher bundle where I got certmaster modules and went through all of them. I also used Darril Gibson's app for android that had questions and flash cards. Then I used a measureup practice test which to me it seemed easier than the real test. Good luck on your test coming up!
    Currently working on CCENT/CCNA and CAPM
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,049 ■■■■■■■■□□
    sdhillon23 wrote: »
    You got a point there, I'll have to research on finding some routers and switches for cheap to get some hands on experience on networking. As of right now, I'm just getting an overview on a broad understanding for networks through the text.

That's a Bunch of HOOEY.
    You don't need any of that stuff to pass the N10-005.

I used Professor Messer's lectures, his $10 course notes, and hammered through hundreds of practice-Qs on quizlet.
    Took me 8 weeks.

The N10-005 is a joke; don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

Here's some stuff to get you started:
    https://quizlet.com/PazuzuRises
    ~ Do the Exams A - K. Feel free to search for other flashcards too (n10-005).

McGraw-Hill sample Qs:
    Self-Assessment Quiz
    Self-Assessment Quiz
    Self-Assessment Quiz
    (tweak the URL all the way up to chapter20).

Using your VMs to play around with is pretty smart! Definitely keep it up :]

But all you need to "pass the exam" is the Ability to Memorize port #'s, ABGN Network Speeds, RG-standards, wifi CHannel Widths, and other Goofy stats. (If you can do that... then you can Pwn the test)