Options

Home lab suggestions...

bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
I'm going to be rebuilding my home network. I purchased some new equipment, and this is what I plan on doing. I want to use the media center and two win2k3 server as my testing lab, and the rest is the 'stable' part of the network. Any comments or suggestions?

I will need this lab to study for my MCSA on Server 2003, and CCNA. The switches are basic linksys/dlink switches, not Cisco catalyst.

Thanks in advance.

network.jpg
Jack of all trades, master of none

Comments

• Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    You might want a 2950 series catalyst or two for the CCNA. The networ is a bit of an overkill for MCSA and yet it's not.
  • Options
    What exactly is the big deal with those expensive cisco switches? I know that their routers are completely programmable, how will a 2950 benefit my current lab?

aside: I know that NetBEUI isnt routable, so let's say if I move the subnet with the two win2k3 servers over to the 2503, will the two winxp clients not be able to access the shared drives? If I add a second NIC to one of those win2k3 servers and bridge it back to the subnet on the 2514, will they be able to communicate with each other?
  • Options
    rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I will need this lab to study for my MCSA on Server 2003, and CCNA

What exactly is the big deal with those expensive cisco switches? I know that their routers are completely programmable, how will a 2950 benefit my current lab?

you have answered your own questions : )

cheers...
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • Options
    they are completely programmable and I need it to study for CCNA?

heh....interesting benefit.