Options

MCSE Confidence Level

teknologikalteknologikal Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Good Morning Folks

So I am starting to study for MCSE, amongst other certifications. I work for a small\medium size company (around 100 employees) and I manage our systems along with our engineer. I am mostly responsible for 1st and 2nd level support. I manage some of the basic AD stuff. Some VMware\VMware View environment as well. I got the Mastering Windows 2012 book from Mark Minasi. I also have TrainSignal and CBT Nuggets training videos, plus other PDFs\eBooks on the subject. I am not in a rush. I will take as long as I need to do to master this. I have a lab environment, plus my live environment where I can apply my knowledge.

Here is my fear =) I lack confidence that I will be able to learn all this stuff. I look at the book and there is just so much information that I feel overwhelmed. I don't want to start out by thinking I am going to fail and I am not a dumb person, but I am looking for some opinions and suggestions here. Is this something that just takes a lot of education, practice, and time, or do I have to be some kind of a genius to learn all this? I know its kind of lame question, but I do feel a bit overwhelmed that this is just too much too learn and understand. I am especially concerned about learning PowerShell commands. All the scripting\programming is giving me a headache just by looking at the information in the book.
Anyway, any thoughts here would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Felix

Comments

• Options
    discount81discount81 Member Posts: 213
    Good Morning Folks

So I am starting to study for MCSE, amongst other certifications. I work for a small\medium size company (around 100 employees) and I manage our systems along with our engineer. I am mostly responsible for 1st and 2nd level support. I manage some of the basic AD stuff. Some VMware\VMware View environment as well. I got the Mastering Windows 2012 book from Mark Minasi. I also have TrainSignal and CBT Nuggets training videos, plus other PDFs\eBooks on the subject. I am not in a rush. I will take as long as I need to do to master this. I have a lab environment, plus my live environment where I can apply my knowledge.

Here is my fear =) I lack confidence that I will be able to learn all this stuff. I look at the book and there is just so much information that I feel overwhelmed. I don't want to start out by thinking I am going to fail and I am not a dumb person, but I am looking for some opinions and suggestions here. Is this something that just takes a lot of education, practice, and time, or do I have to be some kind of a genius to learn all this? I know its kind of lame question, but I do feel a bit overwhelmed that this is just too much too learn and understand. I am especially concerned about learning PowerShell commands. All the scripting\programming is giving me a headache just by looking at the information in the book.
    Anyway, any thoughts here would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
    Felix

I feel like just reading for me isn't enough, I needed a lab set up for me to see everything in action.
    With Virtualization it's so easy to lab at home now
    http://www.darvilleit.com - a blog I write about IT and technology.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You have your MSCA Server 2012 right?
  • Options
    teknologikalteknologikal Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    No, I don't have any certs at this moment. I had an old MCP, but it expired a long time ago. I've been more hands on with learning, but want to do it the proper way and learn everything by the book, through the lab, and hands on in my current job since I am the IT manager and can pretty much do what I want here. I am not even concerned about the exams. I don't care about the exams. I care about learning and understanding everything and then applying it all in my current job, but mostly in the next job(s). I am also doing VMware later on since I already have some experience with it. As I stated in the original post, I am just a bit overwhelmed by all the knowledge. I don't mind studying my ass of day and night. My concern, and for a lack of a better word, is that I feel like I am not smart enough to learn this stuff =)
    I've been in IT for almost 20 years, but its always been more on the client side and doing independent consulting for home users and small businesses. This is advanced stuff and I am trying to decide if this is something I want to do. Don't get me wrong, I love this stuff. I love technology. I just don't know if this something I can learn on the level I am supposed to understand it to get a much higher paying job. I am 38 and this is a time for me to decide, am I going to advance in what I am doing right now or is it time to change my career before its too late?
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My best advice for gain confidence is setup a home lab environment. Set it up, break it, fix it, tear down and start all over again. Then trying doing it with only powershell ect...
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    TestTitanTestTitan Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I concur...a BIG lab, there is a LOT of content covered in each exam.
  • Options
    pjd007pjd007 Member Posts: 277 ■■■□□□□□□□
    IMO the only area that I struggled with was subnetting which I mastered for the exam but in the real world I'd probably just use a subnet calculator.

Essentially the exams are just a memory test, most of the concepts aren't difficult and if you use powershell etc. in your day job then you've got a good starting point so just focus on one exam at a time.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    As others have said, lab'ing is absolutely essential to cover all of the topics throughout the MCSE because it literally covers the gamut of MS technologies, which is anything and everything that could be encountered in an enterprise. With the MCSE, make sure to pace yourself--it's not uncommon for it to take 1-2 years so spread the exams out and continue to build on what you learned prior.

Basically, go look at the Windows Features & Roles list in Server 2012, and that is what you will be learning.
  • Options
    Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    One thing you have is that you played with server 2012, and stuff. I do help desk on workstations, and other devices. I never really installed server 2012 or played around with AD. Since I been studying I have learned a lot from installing, and doing other stuff.

I took the exam twice already and failed. First time it was about 450+ and the second time I got close to 500 score. All you need is to move forward and not think about if you will pay it or not. Age doesn't really mater I been in I.T for about 15yrs myself.

Just start from scratch and move forward.
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • Options
    ed_003ed_003 Member Posts: 216
    practice always makes better.. i remember when i started with servers i was so lost and frustrated but i kept practicing and now im a lot better and still practicing icon_profileleft.gificon_study.gif