Options

Secret / Top Secret Security Clearance (US Citizens)

RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
I've been thinking about doing this since there are a few air force bases around here and working on base or defense contractors would be rather nice. Anyone else have a Secret or Top Secret clearance? What is the best method for obtaining the clearance?

Info apprecaited as usual.

Comments

• Options
    TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you...

There was another thread about this 6 months back... search it.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • Options
    Badger95Badger95 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you want a job on an Air Force base you need to apply through AFPC.
    https://ww2.afpc.randolph.af.mil/resweb/

Down load the guide, it will tell you everything you need to know.
    As far as security clearances go. After you apply for a job you will fill out the required security clearance paper work. depending on what you do will depend on how in depth it will be. If you get a job that requires a secret clearance and it is considered a permanent position, be prepared to document every job, residence and references going back 10 years. It is a long process.
    Badger
    _________
    Velle est posse, tempus fugit, vivere disce, Cogita Mori
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    Isn't there currently a huge backlog for federal security clearances, prompting some government agencies to refuse any new applications until the current ones are vetted? Try searching Google using "security clearance backlog" and take a look at news articles for the past year.
  • Options
    Badger95Badger95 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The backlog has been there for several years but they still hire as needed. Without getting into detail, there are processes in place to filter people. I used to do that. I would say if you want to work on the base go ahead and apply. The worst that can happen is they say your not qualified enough.

Thing is the Gov hires on a point system. You may be better qualified but, you may not even get into the running because there are veterans with higher points. A Veteran gets 5 points for service, a disabled Veteran gets a 10 point advantage.

If you want to get in the better way is to find a lower GS position in any field and then start networking with people. There are many opportunities and they are widly published. You can apply from within and move over to the field you want. Inside applications have first preference. Read the OPM and the AFPC guides.
    I posted the OPM link just a few days ago in another post.
    Badger
    _________
    Velle est posse, tempus fugit, vivere disce, Cogita Mori
  • Options
    forbeslforbesl Member Posts: 454
    RTmarc wrote:
    What is the best method for obtaining the clearance?
    Unfortunately, you can't just go out and "apply" for a government clearance. You must be "sponsored". In other words, a government agency or defense contractor has to pay for the investigation process and agree that you need the clearance for your job. It costs quite a bit of money for this process.

Generally, defense contractors will not hire you unless you have the required clearance already. I've known government civilians to be hired without the required clearance (an interim clearance is issued in the meantime), but the fact is that they were hired first before applying for the required clearance.

Right now, there is a hiring freeze at many, many government installations.
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info. I guess I won't worry with it until I actually gain a position that requires me to have one.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    crabeatercrabeater Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Having HAD a TS clearance, and now in the running for another position that requires one, I'll say this:
    You don't just go & pay for a clearance; you have a life that does not involve fights, serious traffic tickets, drugs, or involvement with groups that are on a government "hit list".

When you are deemed qualified for the job, they call you to make the preliminary "offer", you get a physical, then they send the FBI (or sometimes a contracted entity) out to check where you go, what you do, who you hang out with (the first time they asked neighbors what kind of person I was - guess they will again).

There is also a physical exam - not sure how much of a deal that is - they are scheduling mine soon. First time was the Army & even a bad back didn't keep me out [volunteered - not drafted].

Check out USAJOBS for all kinds of listings; everything ranging from the forest service to the CIA. The pay can be low (GS5 starts in the 20K range, but depending on college & experience, goes way over 70K.)
    http://www.opm.gov/oca/06tables/index.asp is a place to start.

Good Luck icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    ukeuke Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Semi-related question. How long does a secret/top secret clearance last when you used to have it. I had secret clearance when I was in the military, but I have been out for about 4 years now. Is there an expiration date for them?
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    crabeater wrote:
    Having HAD a TS clearance, and now in the running for another position that requires one, I'll say this:
    You don't just go & pay for a clearance; you have a life that does not involve fights, serious traffic tickets, drugs, or involvement with groups that are on a government "hit list".

When you are deemed qualified for the job, they call you to make the preliminary "offer", you get a physical, then they send the FBI (or sometimes a contracted entity) out to check where you go, what you do, who you hang out with (the first time they asked neighbors what kind of person I was - guess they will again).

There is also a physical exam - not sure how much of a deal that is - they are scheduling mine soon. First time was the Army & even a bad back didn't keep me out [volunteered - not drafted].

Check out USAJOBS for all kinds of listings; everything ranging from the forest service to the CIA. The pay can be low (GS5 starts in the 20K range, but depending on college & experience, goes way over 70K.)

Good Luck icon_wink.gif

Sheesh man!! I have TS and based on the literature that I signed, I'm almost certain you're violating your NDA. icon_eek.gif

First of it should be understood that TS clearance now costs anywhere from $15,000 to $30,000 (this is what the GAO says it costs the US government icon_rolleyes.gif ). So for a company to even consider sponsering you, you had better have some serious skills and be well worth the money.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So, you're saying an honest face won't cut it anymore...damn....
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    bowlerspbowlersp Inactive Imported Users Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    keatron wrote:
    crabeater wrote:

Good Luck icon_wink.gif

Sheesh man!! I have TS and based on the literature that I signed, I'm almost certain you're violating your NDA. icon_eek.gif

First of it should be understood that TS clearance now costs anywhere from $15,000 to $30,000 (this is what the GAO says it costs the US government icon_rolleyes.gif ). So for a company to even consider sponsering you, you had better have some serious skills and be well worth the money.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

uh, i don't think he is saying anything that violates the NDA. before saying something like that you may want to make sure you are correct, in this case you were not. just look at the full article here:

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/generalinfo/a/security.htm

^^^way more specific than crabeater said^^^
    **studying for my JNCIS-ER and BSCI**