Options

Renewing CompTIA - Network+ and Security +

rolando3321rolando3321 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
Background:
earned Network + in 2012
earned Security + in 2013 (took syn-301)

Both certs will expire July, 2016.
(I know renewing the Security+ will do the Network+, so I will only refer to renewing the Security +)

For the time being I want to keep both certifications for my resume (even thou they have not helped me with getting a job)

Currently I'm not in a position with security as a focus. I just finished my Bachelors in Technology Management last December and I have 3 years of computer repair experience at a Ma and Pa computer repair shop. In April I got into a county position as a IT/S Technician (Intelligent Transport Systems), so I'm gaining wireless network experience. My long term goal would be getting into IT networking/servers.

I called a rep from CompTIA and she said that I can renew my Security+ by taking either the Security+ 401 exam or the Storage+ exam. At this time I'm not looking to do CCNA or anything to that nature. I just want to get my current certifications renewed and focus on improving my knowledge and skills from work experience; as oppose to getting a bunch of certs where I'm not practicing in daily applications.

Choice A:
The Storage+ cert would give me something else to add to my resume. (even thou I just made the statement that I wanted to avoid this.) However, I think the experience of reading and learning Storage would stick with me better than CCNA ect. So I'm more willing to earn this cert.

Choice B:
Taking the Security+401 would be a good refresher for me, since I have low exposure to IT security in the work environment.

A few other thoughts:

I should've asked the CompTIA rep, but I thought I read that IF I got the storage + cert now, that in 3 years from now I would have to take either the Security+ to renew my security cert or take the storage cert to renew my storage cert. In other words, at this point doing one cert over the other would NOT renew both.

The rep also said that if I renew my Security+ by taking either the Security+ 401 or the Storage+ that they would be renewed 3 years past my current certification expiration date. For example, if I passed the Security+ tomorrow, my cert would expire in July 2019 - not 3 years from tomorrow. Can anyone else confirm this for me?

Lastly, The rep mentioned that if I renew my certification by taking a exam as I have mentioned above, then I don't have to pay the yearly fee. I have paid for the first year, but she said that you only need your payments up to date when turning in CEU's. Can anyone confirm this for me?

I would like to thank you in advance for any wisdom or knowledge that you can share. CompTIA has changed their policies on renewing a few times over the last few years and I don't want to get mislead again. My original plan was to get MCSA Windows 7 certified to renew everything, but they don't do that anymore.

Comments

• Options
    tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used my recent SSCP for Security+ CEU's and it pushed the date out until 2020.
  • Options
    Very nice, grats. That makes me more confident that they will add 3 years to the exp date.
  • Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I passed Server+ and it changed my A+ out to like 2020 or something.
  • Options
    yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Option C: do not refresh it at all. Mine is expiring in October 2016, and I'm not going to refresh it. There is no point unless you are looking for some job which strictly needs it (US DoD jobs for instance).

As you said, you didn't get a job out of it, and if you have had an interview, you should know already that the cert means nothing because they will ask you questions to demonstrate your knowledge.

If your concern is HR filters, just list it as expired in your resume.
  • Options
    tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I can not think of a good reason to let them lapse. You can renew them with non-CompTia certs. I had the "for life" certs and focused on working in the field for years. If they had the possibility of expiration, I probably would have forced myself to certify on new technologies sooner. I like the idea of CEU's.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Your long term goal is to get into networking/servers but you dont want to work towards a ccna or a storage cert? You want to get experience through work but no onr will hire someone that doesnt have something related to networking and Net+ is very entry level.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I used the training I had to do for my job plus free security training at work. Now I am good until 2019.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I dont like retaking an exam I already passed. So in your place the quickest way to renew them is to take and pass Storage+. However, if you are really wanting to go into networking you have the time to take CCENT, CCNA and CCNA Security. Study hard and dont waist time, you can get all 3 in a year.

My A+, Network+ and Security+ expire in 10 weeks. Since I dragged my feet on other exams I plan to renew with Storage+.
    2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
    CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!
  • Options
    NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd renew while you are still early in your career. But its definitely diminishing returns as you acquire higher level certs.
  • Options
    GreaterNinjaGreaterNinja Member Posts: 271
    I let my Security+ CE and Network+ CE expire. I still have the Network+ permanent cert though.
    I do kind of regret letting it expire, but life has been very busy the last 8 months. Maintaining CompTIA certs costs $150/3 years + you must get equivalent to 50 CE or more. This usually equates to taking at least another vendor certification.

I plan to move on to VCP-DCV, MCSA, Linux+, CEH, CHFI, CISSP, CCNA all of which are solid tier 2/3 certifications.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the feedback so far. I'm happy that many of you echo my thoughts, which long term these certs are not worth maintaining; unless you were to work for the DoD.

After thinking on it, I think I will go for the Storage+ to renew my certs. I was looking at the exam objectives and their is quite a bit of material that I find interesting and beneficial to learn. Even if companies are not looking for Storage+ cert, it seems like a good way to learn and renew my certifications for now.

Reading in other areas of the forums in the past I saw a lot of feedback from people, telling others that if they put "CCNA" on their resume they should really know the subject. Other than learning the basics of CCNA, I just don't see myself in a situation where I would use it enough to retain it at this time.

After this renewal I could see myself not worried about reacquiring them. Whatever IT career path that I find myself to enjoy, I will then seek after higher level certs and not worry about these.