Options

Renewing CCNA?

selecnorselecnor Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello.

My CCNA expired this month and I wanted to ask for your opinions about my next step improving my skills and knowledge. I tried to renew it by attending the CCNP Switch exam (failed twice) and the CCDA (failed once), so although disappointed, I learnt a lot and I'm satisfied with such experience.

When I decided to go for CCNA in 2010, I was working as a network technician deploying small networks (<100 IP devices), mostly by wireless ptp or ptmp links. I've never worked with Cisco devices but I thought that it was a must if I wanted to develop my career in the networking area (the most I like among any other IT areas). I eventually passed ICND1 and ICND2 in 2011 and 2012, always by studying theory and labbing, not by real daily tasks with Cisco.

Now I work for a large company in a presales role where general purpose IT knowledge is enough to fulfill my daily tasks. People around me recognized my CCNA's value but unluckly I don't have the chance to handle networking hardware and deeper knowledge in networking areas is not needed.

My company is currently partner for a well-known hardware manufacturer (not Cisco nor HP) which has developed a nice portfolio of enterprise campus and datacenter networking hardware; unluckly, it lacks a certifications career such as Cisco, Juniper or any other manufacturer.

My chance to progress in this area in this company is expecting that the networking field increases growth and new staff is needed to support it in any phase for the network lifecycle. Currently I don't mind which one if I'm able to develop in the networking field. Unluckly I don't work at the HQ but at a branch office so the main way I can attract attention is by holding well-reputed certifications.

Well, now I don't know if going for the CCENT+CCNA again or try any other certifications. I think CompTIA Network+ won't add much more than CCNA. I took a look at the Juniper path, but honestly I've never seen a Juniper device in any network (I work for very small and medium size customers). The major network manufacturers I find at customers premises use to be Cisco and HP ProCurve; by the way, HP ProCurve doesn't seem appealing to me, I don't know why.

It seems to me that the CCNA certification has become the "de facto" standard for associated networking levels and, moreover, when it comes to learning, reputation, self-teaching, labbing... all seem to point to CCNA.

So what do you think? Which any other alternative to CCNA should I try regarding my personal circumstamces? Or should I stay with Cisco? This last option seems to me right now the most appropiate, but I would like to know your opinions because you are more experienced people.

Thank you all.

Regards.

Comments

• Options
    rolando3321rolando3321 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think that you should go for your CCENT if nothing else or go right for the CCNA. Your not in a rush because your current job doesn't require but your company has the possibility to expand in the future? I would use that for motivation.

Personally I can relate with not working with "the deeper levels of networking" but if my company had the opportunity to grow into that area, I would prepare myself. Even if it doesn't work out, you can find an opportunity elsewhere.
  • Options
    MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you want to be in the networking department of the company when it expands, your time is now. Go for CCNA. Get it. Go for CCNP. Get it. Otherwise, they may just hire someone externally for the networking positions.
  • Options
    selecnorselecnor Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you all for your kind comments.

It seems clear that Cisco certifications still remain as a reference, so I'll go again for the CCENT and CCNA.

Best regards.