What are they working ??

!30!30 Member Posts: 356
I was browsing the CCIE site , and I was wondering , what are those with four or even five CCIE's working ?

Are they working on huge ISP ? controling the backbone's of the Internet ? In creating Internet 2 ( I know Cisco , si financing for Internet2 grown up ).What are they doing and how much could this expert's win ?

Just a clue , what I'll be able to do icon_wink.gif
Optimism is an occupational hazard of programming: feedback is the treament. (Kent Beck)

Comments

• wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    heres on CV for you

http://smorris.uber-geek.net/

but Im sure he spends more time on the groupstudy mailing list!
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • !30!30 Member Posts: 356
    WOW icon_eek.gif
    Optimism is an occupational hazard of programming: feedback is the treament. (Kent Beck)
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
  • BubbaJBubbaJ Member Posts: 323
    About two-thirds of all CCIEs work for Cisco.

Locked away in some dark dungeon tapping out code and testing ios updates no doubt!
    Is that your plan Mike if you make the grade in the lab?
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    wildfire wrote:
    Locked away in some dark dungeon tapping out code and testing ios updates no doubt!
    Is that your plan Mike if you make the grade in the lab?
    I thought CCIEs didn't code!?! That's an option? icon_eek.gif I was tapping out UNIX Device Drivers and network card packet drivers for DOS a long time ago.

But I've done the Hugh Mega IT Corporation thing, so I'd probably skip Cisco..... but I do miss having a lab larger than most server farms.

If I decided to give up Contracting I'd actually like to go back to a Small/Medium VAR type environment -- so I'd probably look at a Cisco Business Partner. Definitely not a "Consulting Company" more interested in billable hours and acquiring new business than actually ever completing a project.

I might consider a Service Provider/ISP (Telco or Cable). I wasn't originally interested in the CCIP, but it was actually more fun than the CCNP. Even though I have the equipment for the current CCIE SP Lab exam (and dynagen/dynamips for the 7200s), I'm not even going to think about it until I take care of business with R&S and Security.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • blackzoneblackzone Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    BubbaJ wrote:

That might be true for multi-cert CCIE. I dont' think Cisco have that many employee.

I think alot of the CCIE teach Cisco stuff, at least that's what most of the CCIE do where I live.
    blackzone wrote:
    That might be true for multi-cert CCIE. I dont' think Cisco have that many employee.

From the FAQ:
    Q: Currently, how many certified CCIEs are there in private enterprise (not employed by Cisco)?
    A: Approximately 8,300 (June 1, 2005).

The next FAQ question links to the CCIE Statistics page -- which seems a little more up to date.
    Total of Worldwide CCIEs: 13,602 (last updated 08.1.2006)
    I thought CCIEs didn't code!?! That's an option?

hahah you knew what I meant, actually where I work we have a Cisco systems consultant comes in once a month, he does loads of stuff with coding mibs!! wow that looks fun!! icon_confused.gif
    If I decided to give up Contracting I'd actually like to go back to a Small/Medium VAR type environment -- so I'd probably look at a Cisco Business Partner. Definitely not a "Consulting Company" more interested in billable hours and acquiring new business than actually ever completing a project.

Dont know what your area is like but giving up contracting over here is a sure way to a 60% pay cut!
    I know what your saying about consulting companies especially when they bill you out at $$$ and pay in c !
    I'm not even going to think about it until I take care of business with R&S and Security

which is first ? or are you going to do them back to back icon_eek.gif
    man you must be drinking about 50 cups of joe at day to feed that study habbit! as for the firbeoptics guy I dont even want to think about it.

Trying to even start for the R&S lab is such a daughting task, its never ending!
    wildfire wrote:
    I'm not even going to think about it until I take care of business with R&S and Security

which is first ? or are you going to do them back to back icon_eek.gif
    man you must be drinking about 50 cups of joe at day to feed that study habbit! as for the firbeoptics guy I dont even want to think about it.

Funny you should ask about the coffee! icon_lol.gif I'm doing 2 cups a day. But its now a "Bubba KEG 52" thermal cup -- fits the entire pot at once. The time I save on running for coffee refills I can apply to studying! The "Bubba KEG 34" has the tapered base and fits in the cup holder in the car, but with cats helping me study, its too unstable to keep near laptops and keyboards.

Since the V1 Security is lots of R&S, I'm studying now to take one shot at R&S first. Since I finished my first refresh pass through the R&S material, I think I picked out the obvious Security/authentication stuff that could be asked, so if I feel the time pressure, but do well enough on a "CheckIT" I'd **** the R&S attempt until next year and focus on the Security.

Last time I checked both labs had been booked through the end of the year, so getting a second shot at Security might not happen. Openings might pop up as people cancel, but by December I'd be fighting for them with everyone else trying to beat the change. I'm resigned to the fact I might only get the one shot at V1 Security. If I put off the R&S Lab, but an opening popped up for the day or two after my Security Lab (and I felt I stood a chance at passing) -- I would double up icon_lol.gif -- how did you guess? But I'm not as young as Fiber-Optics, so I'm limiting myself to no more than two CCIEs a year.
    wildfire wrote:
    Trying to even start for the R&S lab is such a daughting task, its never ending!
    My study plan already went out the window icon_lol.gif Pickup Doyle and start reading again! I'm still 80-20 re-reading to R&S hands-on. I've only got the 3550s, 3 3640s, and the frame switch running right now just to try some things as I read. But then for Security next week I'll be mostly hands-on configuring and going to the Doc DVD as needed -- 3 days for VPN (router, concentrator, and PIX), 2 days for PIX (PIX and Router Firewall), and an IDS (IDS and Router) day.

I've been having DNS issues... so I'm living on the Doc DVD! Definitely glad I got it as backup!

I voted GO in the phone interview from heck thread. icon_cool.gif
  • BubbaJBubbaJ Member Posts: 323
    mikej412 wrote:
    blackzone wrote:

From the FAQ:
    Q: Currently, how many certified CCIEs are there in private enterprise (not employed by Cisco)?
    A: Approximately 8,300 (June 1, 2005).

The next FAQ question links to the CCIE Statistics page -- which seems a little more up to date.
    Total of Worldwide CCIEs: 13,602 (last updated 08.1.2006)
    Our Cisco rep (a CCIE) tells us that there are about 8500 CCIEs working for Cisco. What you have equals about 5000. I will have to ask him if he is counting bodies or actual CCIEs earned.
  • blackzoneblackzone Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ok, so alot of CCIE works for cisco. I don't know that.

Also out of the 8000+ which don't work for Cisco, alot of them are full time or part time Lecturer teaching Cisco product.

Which lead to the question why arn't alot of the CCIE actually implementing Cisco product in the real world.