What do you guys think? Asheville, NC relocation

ImThe0neImThe0ne Member Posts: 143
So, this might be a bit long. I am going to try and keep it short and to the point. But I was hoping to get some opinions, maybe get lucky and have some people that might be in the Asheville, NC area.

For about a year or so, I have had the very strong desire to relocate from extraordinarily hot Birmingham, AL to a cooler, more laid back Asheville, NC. From what I can tell, the IT jobs are a lot less common there and are more MSP based.

I keep a watch on specific job boards to see what the market looks like in the area constantly, with my real intention being relocated when the right position pops up and if I were to be offered it. I like to think I have been pretty successful thus far in my IT career, I am 23 and have been in the thick since I was 19. In that matter of time, I have progressed from a Helpdesk tech to a Server Engineer. I feel like I am a good interviewer, I am batting 1.000, in a sense that every interview I have walked into, I have been offered the job.

However, the position I found has the "Required Education" listed as a BS degree. I did a few semesters of community college, but I conveniently enrolled in WGU earlier this month, before this posting popped up and have started classes. My dilemma, is that I don't know how strict they actually are on educational requirements. I wasn't sure if I applied now, without a degree in hand while it so clearly says required, if that would possibly mess up my chances in the future of applying and me being "overlooked". I had every intention to bust it this term and finish in one 6 month set, but that was before I knew I had right under 100 credits, so now I am looking at more of a 2 term, 50cu split thing so I'd have degree roughly this time next year.

I don't know guys, what has been everyone's experience? I have never had anyone call me out for not having a degree, but I don't really know how strict any of the companies have been on degree holders. Seems like it is getting more and more common for them to overlook you without one.

On a side note, has anyone found a job in a place they wanted to relocate to and handled it that way? I know in my current position, people that had applied that were states away and wanting to relocate would be tossed away as too much trouble. Any thoughts on this?

Comments

• alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I can understand the trepidation in applying. Since it is going to take you two terms to finish your BS, there is a good chance that job will be gone by then and you wont get it anyway. Apply and see what happens. The worst they can say is no. After you get your BS, update your information with them as a follow up.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • goatamagoatama Member Posts: 181
    When I had about six months left in my degree, I started putting out applications. Anything that said "BS Required" I never heard from. It wasn't until the month after I finished my degree that I had several interviews and three job offers, all within a few days of each other. My resume didn't change, other than to remove the "expected" from my graduation, and my cover letter stated that I had finished my degree, rather than "finishing".

Take that as you will. YMMV and all that.
    WGU - MSISA - Done!!
    Next up: eCPPT, eWDP, eWPT, eMAPT
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Not the best IT market in Ashville. I'd be woried about long term career growth if that is something you are interested in.

As far as applying without the degree, go for it. Almost every job I've ever gotten has "required" a degree on the job posting.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • ImThe0neImThe0ne Member Posts: 143
    Not the best IT market in Ashville. I'd be woried about long term career growth if that is something you are interested in.

As far as applying without the degree, go for it. Almost every job I've ever gotten has "required" a degree on the job posting.

Yeah, I have heard the job market there sucks. Seems like you work IT for the hospital, MSP, or you telecommute for a different, national company. I have just had a hard time finding another comparable area to live. I am looking for more comfortable weather, mountains, 4 actual seasons, and some what in the South-East still. I would more than likely live on the outskirts of Asheville if possible, even though it is a small city, I am not one for city life.
  • ImThe0neImThe0ne Member Posts: 143
    goatama wrote: »
    When I had about six months left in my degree, I started putting out applications. Anything that said "BS Required" I never heard from. It wasn't until the month after I finished my degree that I had several interviews and three job offers, all within a few days of each other. My resume didn't change, other than to remove the "expected" from my graduation, and my cover letter stated that I had finished my degree, rather than "finishing".

Take that as you will. YMMV and all that.

Thanks for the info, I was concerned that this might happen. If it does, one year in the grand scheme of things isn't too bad.