passed 300-115 958/1000

smcclenaghansmcclenaghan Member Posts: 139
It was not without its nightmares.

I am being very careful not to violate NDA.

Everyone needs to know that the 'interface range' commands don't work as expected on the sim, and the only way you'll know that is if you do a show run after you configure your interfaces.

Don't even mess with it. Just don't use 'interface range'. The interfaces that the configuration gets applied to doesn't match the interfaces you type.

When I discovered the error (in the flash), I went back and reconfigured each interface one at a time. In the first one (after exiting conf mode and renetering), I got a message which was something like "exiting interface range mode" or something like that.

These sims are terrible. Absolutely terrible. I commented and opened a case with Cisco on it.

Then, there was an issue when the testing administrator plugged a tablet into the exam hosting server, causing it to spontaneously reboot. My system started generating application faults with a message to contact Pearson VUE for assistance.

They were able to get me up and running ten minutes later, but ALL of my configuration for a 25 minute SIM was gone and had to be retyped.

This experience has been hell for me.

Still, 958/1000 and a chance to enjoy a well deserved break.

Best of luck to the rest of you, and please don't use 'interface range'.

Comments

• MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nice recovery!
  • smcclenaghansmcclenaghan Member Posts: 139
    Thanks. It's just sinking in that it's finally over (at least for a little while).
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats and impressive. great victory.icon_thumright.gif
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • ITtech2010ITtech2010 Member Posts: 92 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! What study materials did you use to pass?
  • koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats man, that's a great score!
    ITtech2010 wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass! What study materials did you use to pass?

Thanks,

I used the OCG only the first time and found it didn't cover everything.

I retooled with CBT nuggets and much labbing (network diagram attached).

I used that equipment (3x2950, 2x2610xm, 1x2610, 2x3750) to test most core objectives.

I used this sheet to reconfigure the 3 2950s and 2 3750s from scratch without notes, to spec.

There were a few topics I was confused about (vtp pruning vs. manual pruning, vtp v3, vs vtp v2 transparent mode) on which the exam will split hairs, which weren't covered by OCG or nuggets.

Network specs:
    ALL DEVICES
    · Set hostnames and domain names (to example.com).
    · Store encrypted passwords for enable mode and scottm on all switches
    · Only permit ssh on vty lines, remove timeout for console & vty.
    · Dhcp snooping should be active on all switches, and all trunks should be trusted.
    · All live access ports must have portfast, bpduguard and a max of 2 MACs per interface.
    · Recovery in 5 minutes should be configured for port-security violations.
    · All unused ports should be access ports in VLAN 99 (unused devices) and shutdown.
    · Each should run MST (instance 1 for vlan 1 and 2 for vlan 2, name = CCNP)
    · Everything should point to 172.16.0.1 for NTP, but prefer 10.0.0.1.
    · Aaa authentication using radius (192.168.1.175, key=CCNP, timeout = 5 seconds) and then local should be set up everywhere
    · Configure SNMP v3 (username scottm, no auth/priv) and permit from 192.168.1.175.

SWITCH-01 through SWITCH-03
    · VTP domain & password = CCNP, mode=server
    · No trunks should use DTP.
    · All port channels should use PAGP.
    · Switch-01 is root mst for vlan 1, Switch-02 is secondary root mst for vlan 1.
    · All switches use default gateway 10.0.0.1

MSL-01 & 02
    · VTP domain & password = CCNP, mode=transparent
    · Use the Access SDM template
    · MLS01 should be mst root for vlan 2, MLS02 should be mst secondary for vlan 2
    · MLS01 & 2 should be trunked together using lacp, 802.1q without DTP on fa1/0/2 & 4
    · Vlan 1: 10.0.0.0/24 (using .111, .112)
    · Vlan 2: 10.0.1.0/24 (using .2, .3 and sharing .1)
    · Configure broadcast storm control on fa1/0/3 (>5 packets/second)
    · Vlan2 should forward dhcp requests to Router 3
    · EIGRP process 10 should be enabled, peering with 10.0.0.1
    · Trunks to Switches 02 and 03 are via 802.1q without DTP.
    · Nothing in vlan 2 should be permitted to ping 192.168.1.3
    · MAC of the Win8 (6451-0604-83b1) should be hard coded to fa1/0/3 on MLS1 & 2 for vlan 2. It should be the only permitted MAC.
    · Ip sla for ping should be set up between MLS1 and Router-02
    · On MLS-01, configure primary VLAN 10 (10.0.10.0/24), isolated VLAN 12 (fa1/0/12-13), and community VLAN 14(fa1/0/14-15). Point to Router-3 for DHCP.
    · On MLS-01 and MLS-02, configure fa1/0/48 with dot1x authentication
    · Configure SNMP v3 (username CCNP, auth=DES/CCNPCCNP, priv=MD5/CCNPCCNP) for context vlan1

Last test, separate from above, was to configure a 9 port lacp port channel, messing with port and system priorities to determine which ports participate. Trust me and do this experiment.

Best of luck to you.
    File didn't save in original post, oops...
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wow, sounds like a f*** nightmare.

Glad you pulled it off!
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Thanks,

I used the OCG only the first time and found it didn't cover everything.

I retooled with CBT nuggets and much labbing (network diagram attached).

I used that equipment (3x2950, 2x2610xm, 1x2610, 2x3750) to test most core objectives.

I used this sheet to reconfigure the 3 2950s and 2 3750s from scratch without notes, to spec.

There were a few topics I was confused about (vtp pruning vs. manual pruning, vtp v3, vs vtp v2 transparent mode) on which the exam will split hairs, which weren't covered by OCG or nuggets.

Network specs:
    ALL DEVICES
    · Set hostnames and domain names (to example.com).
    · Store encrypted passwords for enable mode and scottm on all switches
    · Only permit ssh on vty lines, remove timeout for console & vty.
    · Dhcp snooping should be active on all switches, and all trunks should be trusted.
    · All live access ports must have portfast, bpduguard and a max of 2 MACs per interface.
    · Recovery in 5 minutes should be configured for port-security violations.
    · All unused ports should be access ports in VLAN 99 (unused devices) and shutdown.
    · Each should run MST (instance 1 for vlan 1 and 2 for vlan 2, name = CCNP)
    · Everything should point to 172.16.0.1 for NTP, but prefer 10.0.0.1.
    · Aaa authentication using radius (192.168.1.175, key=CCNP, timeout = 5 seconds) and then local should be set up everywhere
    · Configure SNMP v3 (username scottm, no auth/priv) and permit from 192.168.1.175.

SWITCH-01 through SWITCH-03
    · VTP domain & password = CCNP, mode=server
    · No trunks should use DTP.
    · All port channels should use PAGP.
    · Switch-01 is root mst for vlan 1, Switch-02 is secondary root mst for vlan 1.
    · All switches use default gateway 10.0.0.1

MSL-01 & 02
    · VTP domain & password = CCNP, mode=transparent
    · Use the Access SDM template
    · MLS01 should be mst root for vlan 2, MLS02 should be mst secondary for vlan 2
    · MLS01 & 2 should be trunked together using lacp, 802.1q without DTP on fa1/0/2 & 4
    · Vlan 1: 10.0.0.0/24 (using .111, .112)
    · Vlan 2: 10.0.1.0/24 (using .2, .3 and sharing .1)
    · Configure broadcast storm control on fa1/0/3 (>5 packets/second)
    · Vlan2 should forward dhcp requests to Router 3
    · EIGRP process 10 should be enabled, peering with 10.0.0.1
    · Trunks to Switches 02 and 03 are via 802.1q without DTP.
    · Nothing in vlan 2 should be permitted to ping 192.168.1.3
    · MAC of the Win8 (6451-0604-83b1) should be hard coded to fa1/0/3 on MLS1 & 2 for vlan 2. It should be the only permitted MAC.
    · Ip sla for ping should be set up between MLS1 and Router-02
    · On MLS-01, configure primary VLAN 10 (10.0.10.0/24), isolated VLAN 12 (fa1/0/12-13), and community VLAN 14(fa1/0/14-15). Point to Router-3 for DHCP.
    · On MLS-01 and MLS-02, configure fa1/0/48 with dot1x authentication
    · Configure SNMP v3 (username CCNP, auth=DES/CCNPCCNP, priv=MD5/CCNPCCNP) for context vlan1

Last test, separate from above, was to configure a 9 port lacp port channel, messing with port and system priorities to determine which ports participate. Trust me and do this experiment.

Best of luck to you.

wow this looks like my home-lab with my (2) 3750G's, (3) 3550's and (6) 2950's and I'm just going for the CCNA. I'm seriously overdoing my studying.

But this seems like a pain-in-the-ass in 25 minutes. Koodos for your speed man, talk about stress levels. :)
  • superman100superman100 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats - Great score! Did you do all the CBT nugget video's or just the area's where you needed work? Also did you invest in any additional practice questions?Thanks
    I used the Cisco practice questions which came with the Cert Guide. They weren't super helpful but they didn't hurt either. I also used Boson exams and same deal.

I used all the CBT Nuggets and found most of them helpful.