How to lab for KVM?

Its my understanding that you can't run KVM inside a RHEL VM. For example, I have a number of RHEL6 VMs, and tried to run KVM from one and tried to load various modules, like KVM and KVM_INTEL and they won't load.

Doing some research, right now KVM isn't able to nest inside another VM, correct?

If this is the case, what is the best way to lab for this? Go out any buy the physical hardware to lab?

thanks
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• gkcagkca Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Actually you should be able to run a nested KVM setup, here's a good tutorial: Configure DevStack with KVM-based Nested Virtualization — DevStack 0.0.1.dev6368 documentation although I personally prefer to run a nested setup with Vmware Fusion and also an ESXi host for heavy lifting.
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm
  • The ITThe IT Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Also Xen accept nested virt.
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    gkca wrote: »
    Actually you should be able to run a nested KVM setup, here's a good tutorial: Configure DevStack with KVM-based Nested Virtualization — DevStack 0.0.1.dev6368 documentation although I personally prefer to run a nested setup with Vmware Fusion and also an ESXi host for heavy lifting.

I'm using RHEL6, because that is what I have a voucher for. We are going to be slow in moving from RHEL5 to RHEL6.

I'm not familiar with DevStack and OpenStack, I basically just want to setup and do the RHEL6 exercises to prepare for the cert.

I do see that RHEL7 have the ability to do nested KVMs, however it looks like performance won't be great and also mix in VirtualBox, no one is really sure how it will work because it seems to be bleeding edge.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    I use Virtualbox (v4.2.30) and have created a virtualization host (RHEL 7) using KVM with 2 VMs on it. So i know nested virtualization works, but performance is terrible. I only use them when I'm going through my study points for the exam.
    Verities wrote: »
    I use Virtualbox (v4.2.30) and have created a virtualization host (RHEL 7) using KVM with 2 VMs on it. So i know nested virtualization works, but performance is terrible. I only use them when I'm going through my study points for the exam.

I upgraded VirtuaBox to the latest version, 5.0, I believe. There are some newer features, however I would have to read thru the updated pdf to get familiar with them.

If that is the case for nested VMs, I would have to spin up RHEL7 and lab all of the KVM stuff under that.

thanks

-unknown
    JockVSJock wrote: »
    I upgraded VirtuaBox to the latest version, 5.0, I believe. There are some newer features, however I would have to read thru the updated pdf to get familiar with them.

If that is the case for nested VMs, I would have to spin up RHEL7 and lab all of the KVM stuff under that.

thanks

No problem! If you look at the exam objectives for RHEL7, you only have to do the following with VMs:

-Access a virtual machine's console

-Start and stop virtual machines

-Configure systems to launch virtual machines at boot

I suggest using virt-manager for your first VM and then exploring virsh. Also, make sure you're able to use kickstart to configure the vm during install.

Source:

Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA) exam - EX200 | Red Hat
    Verities wrote: »
    No problem! If you look at the exam objectives for RHEL7, you only have to do the following with VMs:

-Access a virtual machine's console

-Start and stop virtual machines

-Configure systems to launch virtual machines at boot

I suggest using virt-manager for your first VM and then exploring virsh. Also, make sure you're able to use kickstart to configure the vm during install.

Source:

Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA) exam - EX200 | Red Hat

I started to run into problems when I loaded the kvm module and then I couldn't load the kvm_intel module.

According to RHEL6 guidelines, you need to be able to install a VM from QEUM, install over a network and install via a Kickstart file either locally or from the network, so I want to be ready for anything...

Let us know how your RHEL7 exam goes.

-unknown
    JockVSJock wrote: »
    I started to run into problems when I loaded the kvm module and then I couldn't load the kvm_intel module.

According to RHEL6 guidelines, you need to be able to install a VM from QEUM, install over a network and install via a Kickstart file either locally or from the network, so I want to be ready for anything...

Let us know how your RHEL7 exam goes.

Oops forgot you're going for v6! You are correct the objectives are different...should have taken my own advice from another post lol. I will definitely let you know the results!
  • XavorXavor Member Posts: 161
    Did you verify your processor supports vt instructions?

egrep ‘(vmx|svm)’ /proc/cpuinfo

Devstack is a scripted install of an all-in-one Openstack deployment with Nagios monitoring. It's nice to play around with, but above the scope of a RHCSA

You don't really need a full lab of gear for the RHCSA either. Just a virtual server or two. Instead of hardware, I'd go to amazon's aws and sign up for the free year trial and build 2 or 3 instances there to mess around with.
  • kly630kly630 Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ^I've actually switched to using AWS for my lab as well for RHCE prep. It's really an interesting change of pace. You're basically forced to use whatever templates AWS provides you and configure them to your preferences, then make an AMI of that. Took me a few hours to install and config what I wanted as far as services and security groups go. You will absolutely need to set up VNC or something like that. The nice thing is, you can change security groups on the instances while they're running, so if you need to change things it's not terribly difficult to configure.

For the RHCSA, I might not recommend AWS. If you do, you won't easily be able to practice KVM or kickstart installations using AWS, keep that in mind. Kickstart installations are probably something you'll want to cover using virtualbox on a desktop or laptop. KVM is actually easy to install and use as well, so it might not need tons of time. If you have an older desktop that supports virtualization anywhere at all that you can sacrifice for just a bit of time, I'd use that. Everything beyond those topics you can practice with AWS though.

To be honest (hopefully not a violation of the NDA), I kind of think given what the RHCSA hopes to do, you're a bit less likely to see kickstart and KVM questions asked just cause of time. It takes a lot of time to work through installs for example. But you really should practice and be comfortable doing those sorts of things. I know kickstart especially will get used on the job by most admins.