What experience would correspond to this job posting requirement?

thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
I applied for a job and was automatically "unconsidered" because I selected no to an answer of whether I had:

"Working knowledge of Websphere, Unix, Windows Server, Desktop OS internals or Mainframe domains."

What would be considered to be working knowledge of Unix and/or Desktop OS internals? What sort of things would I need to know or know how to do?

I didn't feel comfortable answering yes because I haven't dealt with Unix or Desktop OS internals where the majority was supporting those things. I know basic Unix commands and didn't really know what they were referring to with "Desktop OS internals".

Comments

• phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    That's intentionally left vague. You could answer yes and explain in an interview when it comes up or select no and be disqualified. My stab at it, for UNIX they expect you know the file and directory structure plus enough of the CLI commands to move around comfortably and edit files. For Windows and Mac OS X, much the same.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Mother of god that is vague. I'm guessing .gov, correct?
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Mother of god that is vague. I'm guessing .gov, correct?

No, it was for a USAA job posting.
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    thomas_ wrote: »
    No, it was for a USAA job posting.

San Antonio? There's a few good companies down that way.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
    phantasm wrote: »
    You could answer yes and explain in an interview when it comes up or select no and be disqualified.

I think I already shot myself in the foot. It won't let me reapply to the same position. I'm thinking about trying to find one of their recruiter's on LinkedIn, sending them my resume, and asking them if I would be a good fit for a position. Is this a good idea?
    phantasm wrote: »
    San Antonio? There's a few good companies down that way.

Yep, San Antonio. I've been applying for jobs using Dice and LinkedIn jobs. I've been receiving calls from recruiters and have done a few interviews, so I'm happy about that.

I applied at Rackspace a while ago, but didn't have enough experience and got the automatic turn down. I don't have any programming, servers, or Linux experience, so I think that's kind of hindering me with Rackspace.