Realistic timeframe for MCSA 2012 whilst not working

BJTBJT Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I'm currently not in a job at the moment, and was wondering what might be a realistic amount of time for each exam if I'm putting in about 7 hours a day of study excluding weekends? How much time should I expect? I'm planning on setting up a virtual machine lab to practice on as well, so I can test what I learn.

Comments

• NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Wasn't there a blog somewhere where someone went got their MCSA and MCSE in like 60 days? Something crazy like that, might have been 90 days...
  • yparkypark Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
    BJT wrote: »
    Hello,

I'm currently not in a job at the moment, and was wondering what might be a realistic amount of time for each exam if I'm putting in about 7 hours a day of study excluding weekends? How much time should I expect? I'm planning on setting up a virtual machine lab to practice on as well, so I can test what I learn.

Others will need your knowledge in the subject/relevant certifications and education to give you an idea. I personally do not have a clue but I am curious to find out how long it will take as well.
    2022 Goals: [PCNSE] [JNCIS-SP] [JNCIS-SEC] [JNCIS-DevOps]
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    90 days to MCSA

You haven't stated your experience. That plays a big role. Coming in with some Windows server knowledge is not the same as starting from zero. My MCITP:EA took me almost 10 months. This was with good experience and with work/kids/life in the way. Assuming all that free time and that you know the basics and can assimilate the material, I think this could be done in 4 months.
  • BJTBJT Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for replying, I used to work in I.T. for about 12 years or so with various systems, several of those supporting a Microsoft server environment, have then moved away from I.T for 3.5 years and are now coming back so I'm very rusty. I'm doing these exams to get back into it, and as I never got any MS exams before now I thought now would be a good time. Thanks for the link, I'm hoping I can stay focused and knock them out as fast as I possibly can!
  • pjd007pjd007 Member Posts: 277 ■■■□□□□□□□
    BJT wrote: »
    Thanks for replying, I used to work in I.T. for about 12 years or so with various systems, several of those supporting a Microsoft server environment, have then moved away from I.T for 3.5 years and are now coming back so I'm very rusty. I'm doing these exams to get back into it, and as I never got any MS exams before now I thought now would be a good time. Thanks for the link, I'm hoping I can stay focused and knock them out as fast as I possibly can!
    IMO 90 days is pretty unrealistic for most people, it took me around 6 months to do the MCSA and i was in near enough the exact same position as you in terms of experience and time away from the IT industry.

The first exam was my biggest challenge which took me near enough 3 months to pass and i was doing 4-6hrs study per day but that said everyone learns at a different pace.

Also MS updated the exams at the end of last year which i think helped me pass 410 because when i failed it the questions seemed a lot harder and more of them.
  • TestTitanTestTitan Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For someone still involved in IT, there are just concepts of Server 2012 that I have never used. Such as ADFS and RMS, and the areas that I do use I rarely use Powershell for or in as much detail that they want you to know. And if I did require some advanced config some testing or googling would be sufficient. There is A LOT of content to know. I found 410 to be straight forward. Not easy, but I was able to pass on the first try. 411 is much more complicated and took me 3 tries. 412 so far two tries, no dice. I've been studying for 412 for over a month now almost 3-4 hours per day (on average) and since the last fail I just do not have confidence in a passing score yet. Very frustrating. For the people that ARE achieving MCSA in 90 days I need to know your study plan. I've been using Labs, CBT, MeasureUP (useless), and some books.