OSCP Exam | Any takers? | Suggestions are welcome

mosunitmosunit Member Posts: 12 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

This is my first post here. I have enrolled for OSCP exam from 23rd Nov. I have researched a lot on techexams forum for this exam. I am no pro but I think I can do this.
Just wanted to know if there any takers for this session. And also, your suggestions and any resources which might be valuable beforehand are most welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'd like to eventually take and pass this, especially since I'll be getting into Cybersecurity.

i just don't have a solid programming/scripting or Linux foundation.

Good luck to you in your pursuits.
  • xXxKrisxXxxXxKrisxXx Member Posts: 80 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Welcome mosunit,

Those who have taken the PWB/PWK course are given explicit instructions not to divulge anything related to the exam. If you've found any hints sitting out there on the web, the hints shared will tell you to be prepared for anything.

Are you officially enrolled in the course by chance? How long have you spent practicing in the labs? Do you do penetrating testing on the job? You know the exam is laid out like a capture the flag exercise and your given 24 hours to demonstrate your practical skill set in this field. No multiple choice here.

What would prepare you the best for the exam is getting a solid grasp on the concepts taught and spending the time in the lab environment practicing.

No information should be divulged about the OSCP exam. Just know the course content and be ready to demonstrate it.
  • mosunitmosunit Member Posts: 12 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks spiderjericho. All the best to you too...
    @xXxKrisxXx,
    Thanks. I think it didnt come out right in the first post. Actually, I have signed up for 90 days labs which starts from 23rd Nov, so i guess I will be practicing in the labs a lot. I have good networking foundation, linux skills are ok, and have exposure to python. My job doesnt include penetration testing but I am very eager to pursue my career in it. I have given a lot of thought about what to do next. But, after researching a lot , I have finally decided to go for OSCP.
    I will take next few days to brush up the skills required for OSCP, so that I dont struggle through the course.
    And yeah, I will not divulge any information about the exam.
  • ramrunner800ramrunner800 Member Posts: 238
    Everybody struggles through the course. Have fun, and try harder.
    Currently Studying For: GXPN
  • RoxtonRoxton Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am planning on doing this course shortly or the CISSP, and it it going to be a nice challenge. I have been practicing in my lab(VM) at home, and making sure that i understand the Gist of the stuff, before i fork out the cash.

Good Luck, and Try harder
    Thanks ramrunner800 and Roxton.

Could anyone please tell me how much web application attacks is covered in the curriculum and how much do I need to know to carry successful web application attacks.

Any references would be appreciated.
    SephStorm wrote: »
    I found this blog post which has some good information.

https://blog.g0tmi1k.com/2011/07/pentesting-with-backtrack-pwb/

Thanks SephStorm. Great post.
    Got mail from offensive-security today along with the material.Gone through the videos for first modules. Will practice the exercises now. Will try to keep this forum updated with the progress. Lets see how it looks after 90 days.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    mosunit wrote: »
    Got mail from offensive-security today along with the material.Gone through the videos for first modules. Will practice the exercises now. Will try to keep this forum updated with the progress. Lets see how it looks after 90 days.

Keep us updated for sure. I am thinking of going for this in January.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Feel free to join in on IRC with a few us.

irc.osswg.com
    #oscp
  • chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    MrAgent wrote: »

irc.osswg.com
    #oscp

Thanks for the link, I'll want to join you guys when I start to take this course, thanks!
    MrAgent wrote: »

irc.osswg.com
    #oscp

Thanks Mr.Agent.

I dont have access to training material/labs in office. So, can someone suggest some books related to enumeration, exploitation(methodology,examples,etc) , web application PT (or any additional recommended reading) which I can read along with the course.
    It has been a long time since I have posted here.
    Long story short, I have taken OSCP exam once and I failed. Well, I expected that as I had been busy lately and couldn't focus during last days of the labs.
    Few lessons learnt were:-
    1) More practice needed
    2) A better approach to hack the machines
    I have extended my labs for 30 days now and I want to get most out of the labs this time and hopefully will give the exam by the end of labs.I have got over 25 machines so far.
    Anyone who is doing this course can hang out on IRC with us irc.osswg.com #oscp (thanks to MrAgent)
  • mokazmokaz Member Posts: 172
    It has been a long time since I have posted here.
    Long story short, I have taken OSCP exam once and I failed. Well, I expected that as I had been busy lately and couldn't focus during last days of the labs.
    Few lessons learnt were:-
    1) More practice needed
    2) A better approach to hack the machines
    I have extended my labs for 30 days now and I want to get most out of the labs this time and hopefully will give the exam by the end of labs.I have got over 25 machines so far.
    Anyone who is doing this course can hang out on IRC with us irc.osswg.com #oscp (thanks to MrAgent)

Yeah dude !! you gonna nail it this time =) glad to see you advancing on this !!! keep it up
    Finally !! i cleared the exam.
    I will post a review shorlty.
    Big thanks to mokaz and Mr.Agent.
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • mokazmokaz Member Posts: 172
    Finally !! i cleared the exam.

Yes mate !!!! very very proud of you !!!!
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations! Looking forward to the review.
  • BuhRockBuhRock Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on passing OSCP! Also, thanks for your help so far.
    Thanks everyone !!
  • unkn0wnsh3llunkn0wnsh3ll Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Welldone and congrats....:)