70-410 Failed Again

Arman75Arman75 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I took the 70-410 three times and failed with my scores being 643, 662, and 681 today. I am tired of taking this exam. I am working as a desktop engineer and don't have any server work experience. I am going for this certification to help me get a job as a junior server admin. I have read the Don Poulton Cert Guide and the MOAC books. I also did the practice questions in the Poulton book along with the 2 practice tests. Finally, I also did the MOAC labs using Server 2012 with VMware Player.

Does anyone have any study tips to pass the exam? Are there any other study materials you recommend? Are there any practice exams that you recommend such as transcender, measureup, or selftestsoftware? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Arman

Comments

• markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You've improved your score by 19 each time. Passing score is 700 so you should be good next time. :D

I'd recommend trying to get a copy of Server 2012 and play around with it. Labs are great, but they are a bit limited. A full copy where you can install/modify everything can help quite a bit. Reference the technet articles on this forum also.
  • TestTitanTestTitan Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I concur... Virtual Machine lab is paramount. Not to discourage you, but 70-410 is the easiest of the 3 Server 2012 exams. The 411 and 412 are very challenging.
  • pjd007pjd007 Member Posts: 277 ■■■□□□□□□□
    TestTitan wrote: »
    I concur... Virtual Machine lab is paramount. Not to discourage you, but 70-410 is the easiest of the 3 Server 2012 exams. The 411 and 412 are very challenging.
    That's debatable, IMO each exam is difficult in its own way but I'd imagine for most people getting the first exam passed is a mental hurdle and once you've completed it you should gain some confidence for the next one.

410 took me several attempts then I passed the other 4 exams back to back, you just have to keep at it.

IMO the most difficult exam is the next one !
  • Judderman88Judderman88 Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
    pjd007 wrote: »

IMO the most difficult exam is the next one !

Nice perspective!

Interesting comments. I’m planning on doing the 70-410 next and had heard it was easier than the 70-680. Can anyone else verify this?
    With regards to the others, I was planning on substituting the 70-412 for the 74-409 as virtualisation is of particular interest to me. Has anyone else done this?
  • particle1particle1 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Nice perspective!

Interesting comments. I’m planning on doing the 70-410 next and had heard it was easier than the 70-680. Can anyone else verify this?
    With regards to the others, I was planning on substituting the 70-412 for the 74-409 as virtualisation is of particular interest to me. Has anyone else done this?

im doing the 410 cert right now and its def harder...
  • seansdseansd Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Failed this one the first time after depending on Microsoft Press. Big mistake. They were how to do your job guides instead of exam preparation. I expect to do better 2nd time now that I know what test is like, and I know what to look for in the training material. Fortunately I squeaked in the attempt before Second Shot ended.
  • adrianKeithadrianKeith Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What book/books would you recommend for the 70-410?
  • Judderman88Judderman88 Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I’ve got William Paneks book on MCSA Server 2012 Complete Study Guide and Craig Zackers Installing and Configuring 2012 R2 as well as CBT Nuggets (Which are quite annoying in my humble opinion…)

• AnthonyGAnthonyG Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What areas are you doing the worst in?
  • Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Trust me I'm on the same boat as you. I failed it twice, and my scores were less then your around the 500 points. UGH i been studying for this exam for ever well it seems like it.

it's time to put some real time into this since I only have about 30 mins of study time.
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • Arman75Arman75 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I failed the test again for the 4th time and got my lowest score: 604. icon_sad.gif I don't think I did too well on the Powershell questions. My weakest areas were AD and Network Services. My breakdown is as follows:
    Install and Configure Servers - 85%
    Configure Server Roles and Features - 75%
    Configure Hyper-V - 90%
    Deploy and Configure Core Network Services - 60%
    Install and Administer Active Directory - 45%
    Create and Manage Group Policy - 80%

So far I have studied from the Don Poulton and MOAC books as well as watched the CBT Nuggets and Pluralsight videos. I also did the MOAC labs as well as some labbing on my own. Lastly, I did the practice tests that came in the Don Poulton book and the Measureup Tests. Do you have any other sources to study from, especially for the powershell commands, or any tips to pass? Unfortunately, I don't have work experience in server administration yet, and so I am just practicing at home with virtual servers on VMWare Player. I really hope I pass next time since after the 5th fail, you need to wait a year before you can take the test again. Plus, I am anxious to move on to the 70-411! Thanks for your replies!
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm studying for the 70-410 too. I haven't taken the exam yet.
    Regarding the powershell questions.
    I would check courses out on plural sight and Microsoft Virtual Academy that cover powershell.
    Here's a link on powershell commands:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms714428(v=vs.85).aspx
    The verb part of the name identifies the action that the cmdlet performs. The noun part of the name identifies the entity on which the action is performed.

Also, I would look into taking practice from transcender.

These practice tests are often harder than the official Microsoft tests.
    https://www.transcender.com/practice-exam/microsoft/70-410.kap
    Since, your score is 600 you only need 100 more points to pass the exam.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    With the new MS exams, it seems the best way to ingrain the information into memory is practice, practice, practice. Especially with the PowerShell commands.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Mack_XXIMack_XXI Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I concur with JojoCal, in regards to the powershell questions and becoming more familiar with them is to install Server Core so you are essentially forced to get better with them and put in commands so that you can eventually start committing them to memory.
    I have to agree... i been studying off and on because of work and being sick. I failed twice already with score less then 500. since I'm on vacation and recovering from surgery i'm going to study at home since everyone is gone during the day. Hopefully by next month I will be ready.

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • exodia3030exodia3030 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just failed the 70-410 for the second time myself.
    I have ordered a copy of the Sybex MCSA Complete Study guide, and I am hoping that fills the gaps.
    My study material was the 90Days to MCSA onenote and I have completed the Skillport videos.

I feel like running the labs is the way to go moving forward, does anyone know if there is a simple task list that would prepare you for the questions ?
    Something like using only one server core, create a domain with 3 domain controller 3 RODC's add 50 users
    Next exercise create a second domain, create a trust. Create share permissions across the domain and so on.
  • Net_GenuisNet_Genuis Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I will suggest in addition to the book, build yourself a descent virtual lab with 4 or 5 hosts with a virtual router to allow connection to internet to the hosts. Install the server OS in one of the host to start administrating your virtual network. My point is you need to combining book study with practices. By practicing you'll be familiar with the OS and mind picture of the interface and the process to deploy the services, that is the key.

All the best !
  • joejoe900joejoe900 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi, does any one know, in the exam, how are powershell install commands listed and what is the correct answer according to Microsoft?

I have been doing practice questions I found on line and they say the correct answer is:

Install-WindowsFeature -Name Hyper-V

Some searching of the internet say this is correct, how ever I know from doing it on my virtual machines that the following also works:

Install-WindowsFeature Hyper-V

This is also how these commands are shown in my study book by Craig Zacker.

So both work..but what does the exam say is the correct way?

Thanks.
  • poolmanjimpoolmanjim Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    From what I have seen on the exams, you won't be tested between which of those two is more correct as they are equally correct. You would be more likely to see a scenario with different commands and you have to select which one would accomplish the task. Like the following.

You run Server 2012 R2. Which command would you use to install the Hyper-V Role feature into your current operating system?
    A. Set-WindowsFeature Hyper-V
    B. Install-WindowsFeature -Name Hyper-V
    C. dism /MountDir:C:\Mount /FeatureName:Microsoft-Hyper-V
    D. Servermanagercmd.exe -install Hyper-V

Obviously the right answer is Install-WindowsFeature option. They are trying to make sure you understand how different commands are used and which ones work in the current scenario. They certainly wouldn't give you two essentially identical commands and expect you to know which one is more right if they produce the exact same outcome.
    2019 Goals: Security+
    2020 Goals: 70-744, Azure
    Completed: MCSA 2012 (01/2016), MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure (07/2017), MCSA 2017 (09/2017)
    Future Goals: CISSP, CCENT
  • joeswfcjoeswfc Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I hate to say it but you may want to look into a different path. Maybe SQL or office 365 MCSA's? office 365 will be a huge benefit in my opinion once it starts being used by most companies, and is also based on virtualization (cloud) as you said you are interested in.
    I feel that if you are really struggling now with the first one, they only get harder. The 70-12 took me 3 attempts and the 70-411 I got exactly 700/1000.
    As everyone else said, if you still want to get the MCSA server 2012 cert, you will need to build yourself a lab environment to get yourself some hands on experience. As you are struggling with powershell, whenever you want to do anything on the server, I would do find out how to do it using powershell and do it that way rather than using the GUI.
    Hope this helps!
    I would disagree on moving into a different path. Even tho he's having trouble he should never give up and keep trying. I myself have failed it twice, but i'm getting ready to take it again this month. I don't work on servers like everyone else around here. But I have an idea how to install them now and what to look for. That's all by learning the material myself and doing lab. I don't do a lot of lab that I should be doing.

Everything new in life is hard you just have to work on it and pass it. Some people it's really easy and for others i takes much longer time. I myself am one of those people that take a longer time to learn things. But once I get it then it's much easier. Trust me you're getting higher scores then i have.

My Goal for the Future
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think it depends on what area you want to get into. 70-412 is a lot of security, if that's your interest then go for it. If you're interested in virtualization there's the 74-409 and it's very interesting. The 74-409 adds some big buzzwords to your resume as well; Hyper-V and System Center. joeswfc mentioned SQL and O365, I agree O365 is important to learn. Most common tasks are simple and it appears to be simple on the surface until you dig into powershell. It still seems like a work in progress though, I still notice regular dashboard changes, often for the better.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
    I'm not saying give up, just there are more paths available for MCSA. It might be that he could just leave it for now and try to get a bit more hands on experience then go back to it, or go for the 2016 certs once they come out. If he does want to keep at it though, then go for it!
    Best of luck to him whatever he decides.
  • mikes88mikes88 Member Posts: 6 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Louie1277 wrote: »
    I would disagree on moving into a different path. Even tho he's having trouble he should never give up and keep trying. I myself have failed it twice, but i'm getting ready to take it again this month. I don't work on servers like everyone else around here. But I have an idea how to install them now and what to look for. That's all by learning the material myself and doing lab. I don't do a lot of lab that I should be doing.

Everything new in life is hard you just have to work on it and pass it. Some people it's really easy and for others i takes much longer time. I myself am one of those people that take a longer time to learn things. But once I get it then it's much easier. Trust me you're getting higher scores then i have.

I agree with you 100%, DO NOT GIVE UP! If you want it bad enough and put in the effort you'll pass. People don't move forward by quitting, they move forward by keeping on and not giving up. The test may be hard but it is designed to be a challenge, but when you pass you'll see it was all worth it. Just remember it is a matter of WHEN you Pass, not IF you pass.

I just started studying for the 410 and 411 exam and luckily for me I actually work on administering and deploying Server 2012 in my everyday job. I have virtual box loaded on my PC at work and at home for Labbing with two 2012 Servers R2, and 2 PCS (Windows 8 Enterprise and Windows 10 Enterprise). I have to brush up on the PowerShell commands since I rely on the GUI for the most part. I understand the benefits of the PS but it is the year 2015, GUI in technology is now second nature. I have already decided to take the 409 Hyper V test instead of the 412 since I work with VMware and would really like to know Hyper V since it will eventually become VMwares biggest competition.

For the Server 2012 study I find that they Mastering Windows Server 2012 R2 by Minasi et Al. Proves to be a VERY power tool! Practical and study wise.
    One question, have you considered going for the MTA before you do the MCSA again? It could be a good idea to get the basics first then go for the MCSA
  • RyGy14RyGy14 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm a few months behind but will throw in my experience to bolster confidence. I also failed the first time 3 weeks ago with a 640. Going back tonight for another try. I literally found/joined this forum today. How close does anyone think I was with a 640??

I work with server administration daily and will say the questions are not always geared toward real life scenarios, infact I feel sometimes as though they are trying to trick you with a specific detail you would google first anyway.

Read installing and configuring server 2012 EXAM Ref 70-410 (not very indept)
    Transcender practice exams: took detailed notes on every question after hitting grade (getting worried i've memorized the practice too much)
    Hyper-V iso is free from MS so built a box that contains 2x domain controllers and several clients. (run through scenarios I don't fully understand)

We shall see how it goes.
  • RyGy14RyGy14 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    To follow up...I did pass last night. I don't remember where I read it but this little tidbit helped me alot. Go through the exam and check "review" for every answer. This got me to the end of the exam in less than 1hr, leaving me the 2nd hr to go back through and thoroughly think about my answers. Allowing me to review the questions and catch those keywords that rule out wrong answers.

Good luck to all.
    RyGy14 wrote: »
    To follow up...I did pass last night. I don't remember where I read it but this little tidbit helped me alot. Go through the exam and check "review" for every answer. This got me to the end of the exam in less than 1hr, leaving me the 2nd hr to go back through and thoroughly think about my answers. Allowing me to review the questions and catch those keywords that rule out wrong answers.

Good luck to all.

See i'm afraid if I do that, that I might change the correct answer to the wrong answer.. Questioning myself if I did choose the correct answer. I guess for me I just need to read the question a little bit slower and think about it.

My Goal for the Future
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • knownheroknownhero Member Posts: 450
    I never question myself. I go with my first choice.

It's hard to explain but if I think its right to the point I select it first then that's me saying its right.

Don't get me wrong I have failed a few times but I review and do the same again.

Never second guess yourself.
    70-410 [x] 70-411 [x] 70-462[x] 70-331[x] 70-332[x]
    MCSE - SharePoint 2013 :thumbup:

Road map 2017: JavaScript and modern web development

RyGy14 wrote: »

Good luck to all.

I mark most of my answers for review...

The ones I know are 100% correct I do not mark, if I have 50 questions I mostly have 40 marked for review and 10 that I'm 100% confident on. I then go through all of the marked ones and unmark any I am sort of 90% sure on, that leaves me with usually 10 to 20 I'm not too sure on.
    I then keep doing this until all of them have been unmarked, then click finish and hold my breath!

If after a few minutes of trying to answer a question I can't work it out I will just go with my gut feeling/first answer and then go back to this as well.