70-410 If you get below 70% on a section, do you fail the test?

Dwayne282Dwayne282 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I understand the questions are weighted so 70% may not be the actual passing mark for a test.
If the exam has 5 sections and you get 100% on 4 sections a weighted 65% on the 5th section, do you fail because you got below the weighted 70% on a section or do they just average out all the sections to a weighted 70% to pass?

Comments

• pjd007pjd007 Member Posts: 277 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As I understand it the total pass is 700 for most of the exams and that's cumulative across each section.

I wouldn't worry too much about it because MS seem to make their scoring quite complex, if you pass a test it's irrelevant and if you fail the bar charts in your score report show you which areas you were weaker on, that's the only time you really need to focus on this.
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have a very hard time believing that you could fail the exam if you missed 1 question of the 5 questions they gave on a topic.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • poolmanjimpoolmanjim Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I know for a fact that you can score below 70% in a section and pass. It is a cumulative total points that Microsoft is interested in. That's it.
    2019 Goals: Security+
    2020 Goals: 70-744, Azure
    Completed: MCSA 2012 (01/2016), MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure (07/2017), MCSA 2017 (09/2017)
    Future Goals: CISSP, CCENT
  • Dwayne282Dwayne282 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the answers. It makes me feel a little better for my possible results now that I know that its not based on each section.
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The only MS exams that I know of that are done like that are the composite "Upgrading your skills to" exams.