Whats on your roadmap for the next 12 months?

BigToneBigTone Member Posts: 283
8 years of experience here in helpdesk/sys admin/networking roles. Currently hold an A+, N+, an expired MCP and a fresh CCNA. My work just sent me to a Global Knowledge MCSA 2012 server bootcamp so I've got vouchers for all 3 exams. Looking to know those out by the end of the year and I'm also going to be signing up for the next Stanly ICM VCP class.

So years end I'm looking at having jack of all trades on my resume (MCSA/VCP/CCNA)

I'm in a great position right now for my career. Team of 2 guys that deal with a Vblock (EMC SAN and Cisco UCS), VMware virtualized environment, NEXUS switches, ASAs, some load balancers.

I feel like this next year is going to be a turning point in what I want to do in the future. I really feel like 2016 is going to be the year of the CCNP for me. From there probably pick a Cisco track unless the VMware side of things suck me in. I don't see a whole lot of love for the CCNA security on this forum. I do think the Cisco Datacenter track might be a good migration for me after the NP considering all of the technology I am working with.

I know I have a full plate ahead of me - all of the above on top of our third child being born in a few months. I know I'm not the only one knee deep in life as well. What does everyone have on their plate for the next year or so?

Comments

• beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Finish the CPP and likely CRISC for fun. I may circle back and do the Encase Forensic exam if I run out of stuff to work on. Otherwise I'll watch old certs expire and just do the ones I am curious about finishing for fun.

-b/eads
  • vinnypolstonvinnypolston Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    @BigTone,

Congrats on the third kiddo on the way. I've got two and completely feel ya. You're right, we are all knee deep in life. :)

My goal as far as technology goes for the year is to create a free online resource to help others pass the A+. I love teaching and helping others learn and honestly don't get the opportunity to do so very often. I'm extremely excited about this project! I just launched the website and started fleshing out all of the pages. I've got the Rode SmartLav+ on the way from amazon to have great audio quality for the videos. Seriously can't wait. My goal is to have the entire site done by January 1st. Completely do-able. icon_thumright.gif
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Wow, things sound like they're going really well for you BigTone. I for one am trying to build up my skills to move up to the next level; RHCSA in 2 weeks, then on to either CCNA or NCDA....I'm having trouble deciding. My first baby is on the way (Dec), so I'm trying to get as many certs knocked out as I can before he/she enters this world.
  • BigToneBigTone Member Posts: 283
    I feel like I'm in a great position. I'm going to see how it pans out in the next couple of years. Its a school system so it sounds like there is a lot of buracracy. But they really seem to care about getting people training which is awesome. A few of our techs took a CCNA bootcamp but don't seem to be interested in testing. All these classes they have give me I want to take them and run with it.

I'm really excited to finally be in a position where I can get certified but at the same time be applying that cert knowledge to my daily job, and not just to find the "next job"
  • bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    I love hearing about other peoples' goals and future endeavors. As for me, I am taking the CCNA (ICND2) in two weeks and then taking Network+ the first week of September since I am starting WGU on the first of that month. Should have my bachelors in 1 year if I do everything right.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    BigTone wrote: »
    I feel like I'm in a great position. I'm going to see how it pans out in the next couple of years. Its a school system so it sounds like there is a lot of buracracy. But they really seem to care about getting people training which is awesome. A few of our techs took a CCNA bootcamp but don't seem to be interested in testing. All these classes they have give me I want to take them and run with it.

I'm really excited to finally be in a position where I can get certified but at the same time be applying that cert knowledge to my daily job, and not just to find the "next job"

I wish I could say the same; I work in an extremely bureaucratic environment that doesn't invest in its workforce and no room for growth. I'm learning what I can, getting certified, and then looking to move on to somewhere I can grow in my career.

Unfortunately, I may have to wait until after my baby is born since California FMLA requires you to have worked for some time at the specific employer to get your paid paternity/maternity leave. Also, my company provides 10 days paid family leave for birth. Unless I get laid off (due to a larger workforce reduction shift), then that's all out the window lol....
  • BuhRockBuhRock Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm going to finish up the OSCP within the next 2 months. I've got half the machines rooted. Work is sending me to CCNP Security bootcamp, so that will be finished by Christmas. After that, I'm not sure. Probably CCNP R/S.
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    CISSP completed a few months ago and planning to take the GCIH in a few weeks. After that I want to jump right into the CISSP-ISSAP material. If I can make another SANS course next year I want to go for GCIA or GPEN.

Non-tech related goals, work on my Dutch and move the family to Holland.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • SpetsRepairSpetsRepair Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CCNA Security and CCNP route by the end of the year hopefully
  • tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Continuing WGU since it's been paid for. CASP on pause. ITIL Foundations to break up the monotony.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    MCTS Configuring Windows 7 work requires it by end of the year and just the CEH for the next 12 months. That should keep me busy enough with work and life etc.
  • kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I completed the CISSP and SSCP this year. Hoping to complete the GSEC exam before the end of the year. I'd really like to tackle RHCSA for fun. Will probably get my MCSE renewed here next year once the new exams come out. I'm keeping any opp. for SANS training open for 2016 too.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Finish my Bachelor's degree in the next few months at WGU then relax for a few months before apply for my Master's degree!! As for certs probably none that I can think of. icon_cheers.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I want CCNP R&S done by the end of this year. Next year I will focus on CCNA Security and Data Center.
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    CCIE:R&S. That's it until it's done.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Started with ITIL Foundation early this year, passed CISSP, CASP, CISM and CEH from March to July.
    Still undecided on the next cert to go for.

Upgrade MCSA 2008 to 2012?
    CCNA?
    AWS certs?
    CISA?
    PMP?
  • PupilPupil Member Posts: 168
    OSCP if I can get work to pay for it. After that, gain more experience before sitting the CISSP.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    eLearnSecurity eJPT..I hope. With my slacking habits..who knows.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That's awesome man! It sounds like you get to play with a lot of cool things at your job and congrats on the new kid! Good luck and I hope you achieve everything you've planned for yourself.

I'm really trying to finish up my bachelors. It's been almost 10 years since I took my first college class and I'm looking forward to being able to say that I finally finished haha. Also, by that point (about four months from now), I should have the triple threat (education, certs, experience) and will look to make a large career move which will most likely move me to a different state. Having lived in only one state my entire life, I'm actually really excited to experience something new and different.

My post-graduation goals are to start studying for my CEH. Followed by about 6 months studying C and practising for the GRE. 12 months from now I hope to be applying for grad school (Major in either comp sci or security). So still a lot of work ahead of me! Can't wait!
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Over the next 12 months I am hoping to move into a better position, either by moving up at my current job or moving into a new one. Finishing my CCNP and starting college. Going to be a busy year. I have CCNP, CCNA:S, MCSA, and Linux+ on my radar. I figure that will keep me busy for a good while, past the next 12 months.