Options

A+ or Net+

pearljampearljam Member Posts: 134
Hey all,

I am going to graduate from college at the end of August with a degree in Network Administration. I am wondering which test I should take due to the fact I am looking for an entry level job. If I take the Net+ I won't have time for the 005 b/c I'm too busy with school at the moment. If I take the A+ will I have enough time to study before the next certification comes on the market? Which one is better due to the fact I'm looking for an entry level position?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    pearljam wrote: »
    Hey all,

I am going to graduate from college at the end of August with a degree in Network Administration. I am wondering which test I should take due to the fact I am looking for an entry level job. If I take the Net+ I won't have time for the 005 b/c I'm too busy with school at the moment. If I take the A+ will I have enough time to study before the next certification comes on the market? Which one is better due to the fact I'm looking for an entry level position?

Thanks
    You graduation with a degree in Network Administration, then you need Network+ as your entry level certificate. No reason for you to take an entry level desktop support/helpdesk certificate.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Network+ since your moving into networking I would recommend. ;)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    vinnypolstonvinnypolston Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey pearljam,

I definitely agree with the above. Go for the Network+ because of your degree. Although I'm big on suggesting people get the A+; it wouldn't do you any good. Congrats on about graduating. What college did you attend?
  • Options
    JameswebJamesweb Member Posts: 144
    I also agree that with a degree coming in network administration, I would suggest Network+.
    Currently working on CCENT/CCNA and CAPM
  • Options
    DFTK13DFTK13 Member Posts: 176 ■■■■□□□□□□
    +1 on the network+. I know I took the A+ too, but it was more of a personal accomplishment thing for myself. Although reviewing A+ concepts can really help in like PC building. My friend constantly asks me questions about his PC that I wouldn't be able to answer as well if I had not taken the A+. Some would say take it and some others skip it. I wouldn't take it if you already know about PCs and don't really need that to reinforce it.
    Certs: CCNA(200-301), Network+, A+, LPI Linux Essentials
    Goals: CCNP Enterprise(ENCOR + ENARSI), AWS CSA - Associate, Azure AZ-104, Become better at python, learn docker and kubernetes

Degree: A.S. Network Administration
    Pursuing: B.S. in I.T. Web and Mobile Development Concentration