CISSP, CEH, SSCP, Security+ and ITILv3 Foundation but no current experience

krucial85krucial85 Member Posts: 84 ■■■□□□□□□□
I just passed the CEH exam today. Yippee!!! Within the last 1 1/2 years I've completed the CISSP, CEH, SSCP, Security+ and ITILv3 Foundation exams sucessfully. I'm doing what I can to get an opportunity but it seems as though I'm not getting anywhere with the "good" job opportunities (i.e. security engineer) because my experience in security engineering took place 15 years ago. Maybe now with the CEH certification I'll get some looks. Anyone have any thoughts? I've tweaked my resume based on numerous opinions so hopefully with the CEH things will change.icon_cheers.gif
"The way to succeed is never quit. That's it. But be really humble about it."

Comments

• TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    krucial85 wrote: »
    I just passed the CEH exam today. Yippee!!! Within the last 1 1/2 years I've completed the CISSP, CEH, SSCP, Security+ and ITILv3 Foundation exams sucessfully. I'm doing what I can to get an opportunity but it seems as though I'm not getting anywhere with the "good" job opportunities (i.e. security engineer) because my experience in security engineering took place 15 years ago. Maybe now with the CEH certification I'll get some looks. Anyone have any thoughts? I've tweaked my resume based on numerous opinions so hopefully with the CEH things will change.icon_cheers.gif

The issue might not be your certifications but your resume or the positions you are applying. Those are the certs that I also would like to put under my belt also, currently working on ITIL, buy after I passed my CISSP i was able to get a new job within 3 months.
    If you are aiming for a specific position, build up to that position but working in roles that will get you there.
    As an analogy someone at the helpdesk level would not apply to become a ceo and expect to be hired right away, instead first would be to become a lead, a supervisor, a manager, a vp, director and then ceo.
    So, takes small steps towards your big goal.
  • aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What positions are you applying for? Like TheFORCE said, that might have a big part in whether you are getting call backs or not...

My experience has been a little different than yours will be (unless you have a clearance and want to work in DoD contracting, in which case you could have any number of different cybersecurity job offers in hand by the end of next week). But my advice would be to set your sights a little lower and try to get a job in the right field, even if it's not at your anticipated level of compensation or seniority, and adjust from there after six months or a year or two. It's easier to get that Security Engineer IV position if you are at least currently working as a security engineer of some kind!
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Well did security engineering even really exist 15 years ago? It's like when I hear people say they have been doing cyber security for 15-20 years. My response is always "yeah right". Even look at the tools and techniques in certs like CEH. A lot of these didn't come into fruition until maybe 10 years ago at most? Technology evolves quickly so it's likely that even physical security aspects from then are outdated. When looking at the jobs look at the tools and knowledge required and see how well you fit because it seems that a 15 year gap is darn near close to starting over.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Agree with the others, have you posted your resume here for review? I know you said you did tweaks, I just wasn't sure what it was based on.

Expand on that 15 year old security experience for us? Have you been working in IT since? If your last job in IT was 15 years ago most wouldn't hire you for a security engineer no matter what cert you passed. Have you considered something lower like a security analyst and try to work your way up from there?
    TechGuru80 wrote: »
    Well did security engineering even really exist 15 years ago? It's like when I hear people say they have been doing cyber security for 15-20 years. My response is always "yeah right".

I work with someone who frequently says they have 30 years in security. Really though, they have 30 years in IT, 8+ in security, maybe a nit pick but I'd like to see what 15+ year old security is like compared to today.
  • pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Sometimes, you need to take a step back to take a step forward. Try to get a JR security role and then flip that. The 15 year gap might be the problem here. And really, in IT its about what recent experience you have.

If you dont already have a lab, most definitely build one and start playing with all the tools and concepts you have learned. The reality is, you need certs, experience and education to be successful. Any time your missing one or two of those it can be more difficult. But i suspect you will find something as security engineers are in demand.
  • krucial85krucial85 Member Posts: 84 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was laid off 15 years ago and started my active duty career in the Army. It looks like I'll be lowering my expectations and get a start to just get in the door.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would focus on just getting an IT job and once you have one see what opportunities present themselves. I got into security by mistake but I wouldn't have gotten the opportunity if it wasn't for my military experience and having a job in IT.
    Thanks. I think that's what I'll do.
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Scary another CISSP without any experience in Information Security? Who knew? This is becoming the norm in the industry.
    I was laid off 15 years ago and started my active duty career in the Army. It looks like I'll be lowering my expectations and get a start to just get in the door.

Yep that seems like the way to go. The certs are great, but 15 years is an eternity in the IT world, it just doesn't translate to today's environment.
    Good luck!
    Consider IT or "computer years" to be 4.5:1. Fifteen years then would be the equivalent of 67.5 years in a normal discipline. Feeling old yet?

- b/eads
    I do feel old. I also feel as though I have a lot of professional experience to contribute to an organization. How many years of "current" experience will I need to be considered for something other than entry-level positions?
  • chimax96chimax96 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm curious, are you getting interviews at all? Or is your resume being ignored on jobs sites?

best wishes
    Earned: x-B.S. CIS, x-MCP - 70-270
    Working on: ISTQB - Foundation Level, Security+
    Goal: CISSP, CEH, Consultant role in Cybersecurity
  • ArabianKnightArabianKnight Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Put yourself on LinkedIn, in your title that your "looking for work" this helped me out all the time. I still get emails from employers.
    I do feel old. I also feel as though I have a lot of professional experience to contribute to an organization. How many years of "current" experience will I need to be considered for something other than entry-level positions?

Resumes' should all but forget anything older than five years. Tends to keep resumes tidy as well. Of course you can keep relevant experience but try not to list you godliness as a Windows for Workgroups designer or such. Certified Novel Engineer? Out as well. Attachmate Terminal plus? Bye-bye. Keep the tech recent and relevant to the past five years and nothing that says: I was in the same room with this or that appliance/software/package. I work next to SAS and SAP but their really just icons on my screen and I know nothing about securing them. ;)

- b/eads
  • TommyTTommyT Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello I am in a similar situation and looking to get certified in many of the certs that you have. Did you end up getting a new job? what do you think made a difference? I am nervous because I will be medically retiring but the money in not enough as full time work. I still have a family to take care of. I am willing to start at the bottom I just need chance once get certified. any advice ?
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    beads wrote: »
    Scary another CISSP without any experience in Information Security? Who knew? This is becoming the norm in the industry.

I've seen more CISSP without experience than CISSP with actual experience...It's been the norm for me..
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've seen some jobs pop up on https://isc2intersec.leveragesoftware.com/news.aspx since recently signing up. Nothing yet in my area, but I'm new to the site.
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    I've seen more CISSP without experience than CISSP with actual experience...It's been the norm for me..

Maybe it's just my area but in-person the CISSPs I've met all have had a fair amount of security experience. Online I see more people going for it who have zero experience but out of the billions of internet users it can be easy to skew your views on something pretty quickly.
    I only received one interview. I was obviously delusional about what salary I could earn with the certifications and "outdated" experience I have so I was deemed not a good candidate for the position.
    Well I have not gotten a job yet. I am in the process of continuing my military career as a Signal warrant (Information Services Technician), if I'm approved to do so. This will get me a few years of experience with the current technologies and allow me to retire from the military with 20 years of active duty. Hopefully I will then be able to say that I have "current" experience and be able to get a job more in line with the salary that I want to make, if not, then I'll just "get in where I fit in" because even the entry-level salary will be okay because I'll be drawing my retirement from the military.
    Well fellas, don't be alarmed. Your jobs are secure. But most individuals who have earned the CISSP certification can gain any perceived lack of experience if given the opportunity.