Is a Masters in Cyber Security worth it?

IggI_SupremeIggI_Supreme Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I am currently working a pc tech job while I'm attend classes online. The college im going is offering a 5-year MS in CyberSec I and was wondering should I spend the money and effort in trying to pursue it in that time frame? Or just get a BA and with the extra money and time just get some more certs and switch jobs (for exp)

Comments

• nelson8403nelson8403 Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think it depends on where you're at and where you want to be. Personally I'd pursue the Masters degree and higher level education once you've got a good foundation (with a bachelors) and you've decided that is where you ultimately want to be.

I had 12 years experience and a few years in security before I went for my Masters degree and it has helped me into a higher level position, however I don't think a Masters degree without that experience would have gotten me to the same place.

I'd say pass for now and try to get an entry level position in security, make sure that is something you want to do in the long term then enroll and use it to gain experience and allow you to apply for higher level jobs in the security field.
    Bachelor of Science, IT Security
    Master of Science, Information Security and Assurance

CCIE Security Progress: Written Pass (06/2016), 1st Lab Attempt (11/2016)
  • IggI_SupremeIggI_Supreme Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks , its just that how it is now a HS grad with 6 years of exp and some Certs can probally make the same amount if not more than a BA (maybe MS didnt check into that one) without exp and some certs.

but i will be looking into entry level Sec positions to test the waters as they say.

Thanks for the advice.
  • nelson8403nelson8403 Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Definitely work on your Bachelors degree ASAP, that unfortunately is usually the requirement for most entry level SOC positions. A masters degree will never hurt you in the long run, but if you decide to take a different path you may be inclined to do a MBA, Networking or Security Masters in the future.. I've worked in security for a few years and it's definitely not for everyone, some days it can be very boring.. a lot of hands off non-technical work.
    Bachelor of Science, IT Security
    Master of Science, Information Security and Assurance

CCIE Security Progress: Written Pass (06/2016), 1st Lab Attempt (11/2016)
  • kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Get the Bachelor's first. If you want to pursue a Master's later on, make sure you have the time to devote to it. If you want to get into more security stuff, look at attending some SANS training...OR look into work study with them if you have the time.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Masters I consider optional for many but a bachelors is important if you can afford it.
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    Focus on getting work experience and certs and then focus on a bachelors and once you have a number of years on experience under your belt, the look at getting the masters.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    nelson8403 wrote: »
    Definitely work on your Bachelors degree ASAP, that unfortunately is usually the requirement for most entry level SOC positions. A masters degree will never hurt you in the long run, but if you decide to take a different path you may be inclined to do a MBA, Networking or Security Masters in the future.. I've worked in security for a few years and it's definitely not for everyone, some days it can be very boring.. a lot of hands off non-technical work.

Would you be willing to clarify that? What kind of hands off non-technical work would you consider fairly common in your current role?
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)