Just want advice on getting started in Virtualization

beach5563beach5563 Member Posts: 344 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello everyone. I just want to get some information on getting started in a Data Center Virtualization environment or any type of virtualization atmosphere. I have been in IT for around 16 years but mostly telecom and basic tech support. I have worked in a Data Center as a Sys Admin Associat working with HP Monitoring tools and was exposed to some virtual servers. I would like to get back into it. Basically doing L1 Network Infrastructure Tech (Switches/Server installs and decomissions etc.) I am currently working on the Cisco CCENT and they have a Data Center cert too. Should I get that one and then get the VCP cert afterwards. I heard you have to complete an approved VMWare class first which costs a lot. Just trying to get some ideas thaats all. Thanks so much.

Comments

• STANLY_CCSTANLY_CC Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just as one viable option for VCP, Stanly Community College is an authorized VMware IT Academy, and we the course we offer meets the education portion of the VM certification. However, we can offer the VMware course only to individuals and not as part of corporate training. This course is offered under the umbrella of Continuing Education, and it is conducted entirely online, including labs, in an asynchronous manner which basically means it is available to students 24/7. Students can study at their own pace provided you meet the minimum due dates set by the instructor. The courses are 8 weeks in length, and the current tuition & lab fee costs total $185. There is also an optional textbook available through our book store.

We enroll students in the VMware courses in the order in which they registered on our online wait list. If you have not added your information to this list please do so at https://vmware.stanly.edu/waitlist.php. We apologize for any delay, but as you can imagine these classes are extremely popular. We make every effort to accommodate all students in a timely manner.

At this time, due to evolving changes in higher education regulations, SCC is unable to serve all of the students that are interested in our courses or programs. SCC will no longer be able to offer distance education online programs or courses for students residing in Alaska, Arkansas, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Wyoming, and Puerto Rico.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. You can also visit our VMware page on our SCC website https://www.stanly.edu/future-students/continuing-education/technology-courses/vmware-vsphere-install-configure-manage.

Regards,
    S.Lewis

We are an authorized VMware IT Academy, and we the course we offer meets the education portion of the VM certification. However, we can offer the VMware course only to individuals and not as part of corporate training. This course is offered under the umbrella of Continuing Education, and it is conducted entirely online, including labs, in an asynchronous manner which basically means it is available to students 24/7. Students can study at their own pace provided you meet the minimum due dates set by the instructor. The courses are 8 weeks in length, and the current tuition & lab fee costs total $185. There is also an optional textbook available through our book store.

We enroll students in the VMware courses in the order in which they registered on our online wait list. If you have not added your information to this list please do so at https://vmware.stanly.edu/waitlist.php. We apologize for any delay, but as you can imagine these classes are extremely popular. We make every effort to accommodate all students in a timely manner.

At this time, due to evolving changes in higher education regulations, SCC is unable to serve all of the students that are interested in our courses or programs. SCC will no longer be able to offer distance education online programs or courses for students residing in Alaska, Arkansas, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Wyoming, and Puerto Rico.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. You can also visit our VMware page on our SCC website https://www.stanly.edu/future-students/continuing-education/technology-courses/vmware-vsphere-install-configure-manage.
    beach5563 wrote: »
    Hello everyone. I just want to get some information on getting started in a Data Center Virtualization environment or any type of virtualization atmosphere. I have been in IT for around 16 years but mostly telecom and basic tech support. I have worked in a Data Center as a Sys Admin Associat working with HP Monitoring tools and was exposed to some virtual servers. I would like to get back into it. Basically doing L1 Network Infrastructure Tech (Switches/Server installs and decomissions etc.) I am currently working on the Cisco CCENT and they have a Data Center cert too. Should I get that one and then get the VCP cert afterwards. I heard you have to complete an approved VMWare class first which costs a lot. Just trying to get some ideas thaats all. Thanks so much.
  • beach5563beach5563 Member Posts: 344 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks so much. I will check all that out.
  • STANLY_CCSTANLY_CC Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My apologies for the "typos" in the message above!!
    beach5563 wrote: »
    Thanks so much. I will check all that out.
  • beach5563beach5563 Member Posts: 344 ■■■□□□□□□□
    no worries Im just glad to get some help on the question.