CCNP R&S Journey

shyguyITshyguyIT Member Posts: 380
After almost a year of not studying for any new certs, it's time to start on my CCNP R&S.

I purchased INE's CCNP video series as well as the OCG. I will be starting with the Route exam first and looking to finish all three exams in about 8-9 months.

If anyone is currently studying for Route feel free to PM me to bounce ideas off each other.
2017 Goals:
Route[X], Switch [], TSHOOT[]

Comments

• brombulecbrombulec Member Posts: 186 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wouldn't be easier to start with SWITCH? In INE's materials the recommended path for CCNP is SWITCH->ROUTE->TSHOOT.
    I'm learning now for a SWITCH.
  • shyguyITshyguyIT Member Posts: 380
    Route seems to have alot more information and personally I want to get the "harder" test out of the way first.
    2017 Goals:
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck on your journey!
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Several members have gone the Route first. I am doing Route first as well. INEs video are definitely good. I've been going between them, CBT Nuggets, OCG, and labbing. So far INE has had the most in-depth.
  • quickman007quickman007 Member Posts: 195
    Anyone up for starting a CCNP Study group? I'm doing Route as well so that makes three of us.
  • digitheadsdigitheads Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am on the same quest... my ultimate goal is CCIE R&S... hope to have CCNA by the end of this year - studying now for the INDC1 & CCENT, then INDC1, and finally CCNA, I don't know if I will make it by Jan 2016, that's some serious **** to study for and at $150 to $300 a pop for tests, you want to be dam sure you can make it on try #1. I just purchased what I need to get me thru lab wise, I got 3 2811 routers and 3 3548XL switches, and yes the 3548 will run 15.0 IOS you just have to twerk it to get it to load... but that equipment should get me thru CCNA, then I might have to upgrade the switches. got it all off of ebay for less than $150, rack included.
  • SpetsRepairSpetsRepair Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    brombulec wrote: »
    Wouldn't be easier to start with SWITCH? In INE's materials the recommended path for CCNP is SWITCH->ROUTE->TSHOOT.
    I'm learning now for a SWITCH.

Good to know, thanks
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I started with BSCI (Route) back in the day.. (End of 2008...) Good luck!!
    Thanks all!

@Mooseboost I am really liking the INE series.

@quickman07 I'd be interested in starting a study group for route.
    2017 Goals:
  • koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd be interested in a study group for ROUTE as well. Currently going through the EIGRP labs from the 101 Labs for CCNP kindle book.
    Mooseboost wrote: »
    Several members have gone the Route first. I am doing Route first as well. INEs video are definitely good. I've been going between them, CBT Nuggets, OCG, and labbing. So far INE has had the most in-depth.

I did SWITCH first and was pretty bored with it towards the end. I'm finding ROUTE to be a lot more fun so far. It's probably because the labs are more engaging and I love labbing. In that regard, I'd say SWITCH was "harder" to me because the material was drier. What are you using for labs? I'm using the ROUTE Lab Manual from Ciscopress, ROUTE Simplified Labs, 101 Labs for CCNP, Boson NetSim for CCNP, and GNS3Vault labs.
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm getting ready to take the Cisco Networking Academy CCNP classes and I'm just starting to read Implementing Cisco IP Routing (ROUTE) Foundation Learning Guide. I've definitely got a lot to learn for route. icon_study.gif
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
    Priston wrote: »
    I'm getting ready to take the Cisco Networking Academy CCNP classes and I'm just starting to read Implementing Cisco IP Routing (ROUTE) Foundation Learning Guide. I've definitely got a lot to learn for route. icon_study.gif

I started out with FLG then went into Simplified into OCG. The FLG has been my favorite so far, but the Appendix F practice tables from the OCG are pretty awesome.
  • uneeqstylezzuneeqstylezz Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I myself am studying for the CCNP Route. It is a TON of information and sometimes it gets hard going back and forth with the different IGPs and BGP. Currently labbing with BGP. I'd be interested in this study group but not sure what or how it is done.
  • Codeman6669Codeman6669 Member Posts: 227
    Starting classes for CCNP route in two weeks. Down for a study group of whatever method. I havent purchased any equipment yet, but the school has everything to lab with, might still buy some stuff...unsure on it right now any thoughts?
    I'll start a google hangout where we can bounce ideas of each other, if interested send me a PM.
    2017 Goals:
  • olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What book are you guys using?
    Im about to pull the trigger on the FLG
    I'm currently using the OCG and just bought How to Master CCNP Route as I heard good things about it.
    2017 Goals:
  • uneeqstylezzuneeqstylezz Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    OCG, Chris Bryant, CBT Nuggets. How to Master CCNP Route for labbing as well.
    olaHalo wrote: »
    What book are you guys using?
    Im about to pull the trigger on the FLG

I think I've just about used them all at this point. FLG,OCG,Simplified,How to Master ROUTE.

How to Master ROUTE can be skipped. It's pretty basic and just goes right into the meat and potatoes of the content and has very little fluff. If you get it, read it first as it serves as an overview of the material. FLG should probably be read next, and after that either OCG or Simplified. I really like the design aspects in OCG and the Appendix F practice tables. Simplified has some nice labs at the end and is a little different read from the CiscoPress books.
  • olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks guys. Seems FLG is more entry level so I went ahead and ordered that.
    Good luck on the CCNP studies everyone
  • Gallager00Gallager00 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ROUTE definitely has more information for you to digest. I would with ROUTE first just because you can actually lab in GNS3.
    2016 Goals: CCNA Security, CCNA Data Center, VCP6-NV. Mostly focusing on skills rather than certs.
    2016 Completed:
    Currently reading: CCNA Security, programming books
    It's been a bit over a year since I started studying for CCNP: R&S but life got in the way and I find myself starting over again. Just finished reading Chapter 1 in the FLG and labbing RIPng. Will start reading Chapter 2 EIGRP tomorrow and continue labbing it through the weekend. Hopefully this time I can stay on track.
    2017 Goals:
    Just finished up Chapter 2 EIGRP in the FLG. Will continue to lab EIGRP tonight and tomorrow and start on Chapter 3 OSPF on Wednesday.
    2017 Goals:
    Done with Chapter 3 OSPF. Tomorrow I'll review my notes for the past three chapters and continue to lab. Will start on Chapter 4 on Tuesday.
    2017 Goals:
  • Phillies8607Phillies8607 Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Whew! Now you're flying through it. Seems like you're averaging a chapter a week. That's a pretty good pace
    Yeah I'm taking a different approach this time, usually I would read the book entirely then go back and lab. This time I'm labbing while I read the topics which is helping me remember a lot more of the material.
    2017 Goals:
  • BuhRockBuhRock Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I found this method to work best for me as well. I would reach one chapter a week and lab those topics. I've currently passed the NP route exam. I'll be sitting for the switch next month.
    Awesome! Glad to hear that method worked for you. Best of luck on the Switch exam! Currently reading Chapter 4 Manipulating Routing Updates will lab tomorrow and Friday.
    2017 Goals:
    Disappeared from the thread but just a quick update I've been studying off and on and finally feel ready. Test is scheduled for this Saturday!
    2017 Goals: