need help getting started

prichrprichr Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
how long do i need to study for A+ exam i have jus started studying but have notice that there will be updated in january 2007 exam so now i am wondering if i have enough time to compleate studying or should i just wait for jan 2007 to study for the new exam...i have been working with computers for the past 3 years and have some hands on experience... can anyone just tell me how long will i really need to study to pass both exams??

Comments

• sujee27sujee27 Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You mean to take both exams. Don't worry theres a lot of time to study. By 2007 the prices for the exams will be higher although i do think the questions will be easuer since there will be more general knowledge questions. So study study study! You can make it! Core isn't that hard. OS maybe.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    prichr wrote:
    how long do i need to study for A+ exam i have jus started studying but have notice that there will be updated in january 2007 exam so now i am wondering if i have enough time to compleate studying or should i just wait for jan 2007 to study for the new exam...i have been working with computers for the past 3 years and have some hands on experience... can anyone just tell me how long will i really need to study to pass both exams??

Review the objectives found on CompTIA's website.

3 years experience should be enough but it really depends what you did and encountered during those three years.

Do you have enough time to prepare? I'd think 4 months should be adequate, but I cannot say for certain how well you know the material already nor how quickly you can read and learn in the areas you need more practice.

Plan about 2 hours a night for a few weeks and see how you do with the
    practice exams here:
    http://www.techexams.net/pexams.php

What study materials are you using?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • prichrprichr Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks i am using mike myers all in one A+ certification 5th edition and i have also got the set if video on cd roms and whatever resources i can find online ..my experience >> I have basically taken computers apart and put a few together and also instal and reformat drive ...
  • wwpranmawwpranma Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 116
    I haven't taken the test yet myself, and I could be wrong on this, but the key to passing this test is to understand what you know. You can do what I'm doing and brainwash the awnser into your head (although I don't reccomend it), but from what I am to understand from friends and forums is that it's gonna boil down to common sense. You need a good understanding of the whole spectrum of what the objectives are about, but at the same time,you need to just focus on trying to understand the material as much as memorization. They might throw a few curve balls at you that memorization won't fix, it's all about understanding the material and comptia hopes that you can use that knowledge in the real world. Even though I don't see how memorizing the speeds of legacy cpu's and resource adress's is honestly gonna help you, it doesn't hurt.
    Artificial Intelligence is nothing compared to the power of Human Stupidity.
  • RobhoggRobhogg Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have just done the exam, and there wasn't nearly as much of the rote-learning stuff (I/O addresses, number of pins on a socket A processor and whatnot) as I'd expected. There were a number of questions that did call for some deeper understanding, such as interpreting symptoms of malfunctions.

That said, I passed. I would recommend Mike Meyer's books - I used the Passport one. I'd also suggest spending some time ripping PCs apart and putting them back together - perhaps even better if you can get a box of old bits to play with.

I've given myself 2 1/2 months to prepare for the Linux plus - if you have a fair base of PC knowledge, January should be enough time.

Buena suerte!
    Rob
  • prichrprichr Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks i am tyring hard to see if i can make it to take the exams in december i guess if not i will have to take it in january